Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

where is dakota joes thread today?

• Re:where is dakota joes thread today?

DJ, here is a plethora of lightweight hiking advice. I do not agree with all of it. I am not rubber stamping this information. However, there are many good tips to be gleaned from the following videos. Get a pad and paper and be ready to hit pause a lot. There is a whole series of videos. When 1 ends the next will start. While you are recuperating, you might even be able to shed a few lbs off your base weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqoEJGSUyEM&list=PLL2zWZkP0UM7i23hf8uLJZtuJXewTBftp
    Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

DakotaJoe wrote:

Trebor wrote:

BirdBrain seems to be offering some sound advice. If I were you DJ I'd listen to it.

When are you set to head off to the trail?

I listen! I Listen! 49.gif I don't know, sometime next week. I broke a tent pole a while back and never did anything about it because there was supposed to be a new tent en route. I am waiting on the new tent pole to get here and then pick a day that the weather is good. Blood Mountain View, here I come! Also, I am not sure if Trainwreck sent the gaitors out yet, I should ask that question, then it is off to the trail again! I will keep you updated. My ride does not want to take me through the mountains again so it looks like I am going to be getting as close as I can and then hitching or walking the rest of the way in.
    . I saw your Facebook post and you were talking about the Blood Mountain view. I checked the weather for north Georgia and rain is forecasted for Friday thru Monday. Wednesday is full sun and Thursday is partly cloudy. Hope you get your view.
    RIAP

Trebor wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

Trebor wrote:

BirdBrain seems to be offering some sound advice. If I were you DJ I'd listen to it.

When are you set to head off to the trail?

I listen! I Listen! 49.gif I don't know, sometime next week. I broke a tent pole a while back and never did anything about it because there was supposed to be a new tent en route. I am waiting on the new tent pole to get here and then pick a day that the weather is good. Blood Mountain View, here I come! Also, I am not sure if Trainwreck sent the gaitors out yet, I should ask that question, then it is off to the trail again! I will keep you updated. My ride does not want to take me through the mountains again so it looks like I am going to be getting as close as I can and then hitching or walking the rest of the way in.
    . I saw your Facebook post and you were talking about the Blood Mountain view. I checked the weather for north Georgia and rain is forecasted for Friday thru Monday. Wednesday is full sun and Thursday is partly cloudy. Hope you get your view.

Me too! I got the tent poles in today so I hope to be off by Wednesday since Wednesday is full of sun!
    "You might not get everything you want out of life, but you will get exactly what you need!"-Dakota Joe 2006
  • where is dakota joes thread today?

Morning everyone! Checking in today to see what is going on. I see everything is running flawlessly today. Kudos on that. I will be heading back to Jarrard Gap this week. I was going to try and make it there Wednesday, but my ride is afraid to drive in bad weather and thinks it is not going to happen, but I will keep you all updated. My ride also does not want to drive into the mountains so I guess I am getting dropped off somewhere south of Blairsville. I have been hiking around with my pack on and I think the old back is ready for this now. I cut everything off my pack that was not needed and when I get it tweaked I will post a final weight. I can't wait to be back out there.

Quick question: Are there any towns that you would recommend not using as a re-supply point and why? Just curious.
    "You might not get everything you want out of life, but you will get exactly what you need!"-Dakota Joe 2006

milkman wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

Quick question: Are there any towns that you would recommend not using as a re-supply point and why? Just curious.

Roundup, Montana - too long a hitch.

Marta says it's snowing again.........................and it's been colder back east than in The big sky for the past month! The last time that happened our spring was in drought!!!!!
    Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

CoachLou wrote:

milkman wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

Marta says it's snowing again.........................and it's been warmer back east than in The big sky for the past month! The last time that happened our spring was in drought!!!!!

Yeah, Montana is a long hitch!

DakotaJoe wrote:

Morning everyone! Checking in today to see what is going on. I see everything is running flawlessly today. Kudos on that. I will be heading back to Jarrard Gap this week. I was going to try and make it there Wednesday, but my ride is afraid to drive in bad weather and thinks it is not going to happen, but I will keep you all updated. My ride also does not want to drive into the mountains so I guess I am getting dropped off somewhere south of Blairsville. I have been hiking around with my pack on and I think the old back is ready for this now. I cut everything off my pack that was not needed and when I get it tweaked I will post a final weight. I can't wait to be back out there.

That's great news about the back...go easy!

CoachLou wrote:

milkman wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

Marta says it's snowing again.........................and it's been colder back east than in The big sky for the past month! The last time that happened our spring was in drought!!!!!
    funny how those troughs work.

GoodGerman wrote:

Interesting, that's a lot of rain.

I'm curious if February will be as dry as January was. :)

I'm curious as well. I would much rather have falling snow then raindrops when it is cold, but to me that is just a personal preference. I guess both can be persistently annoying, but I know I will have plenty of soakings coming my in the warmer months. I have been hiking around in the falling snow today, did a 5 mile stretch, and my Outdoor Research rain jacket works great for keeping the wind off of me and keeping me dry from the snow melting on me. I will take cold and dry days over cold and wet days hands down.

Trebor wrote:

Extended weather forecast for North Georgia

I am shooting for a Thursday morning departure from Crossville to get back to Lake Winfield Scott Rec. Area and take the lake trail back up to Jarrard Gap and up to Blood Mountain Shelter. That is my plan anyhow.

TrainWreck wrote:

DJ, I sent out the gaiters via USPS yesterday to your mom's address. You should receive them on Thursday. Sorry for not responding sooner. I haven't had much time to be online lately.

Thank you Trainwreck, I really appreciate it! Okay, then I am re-planning my departure date in order to collect the gaitors.

rocksNsocks wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

Wow, I can't wait to get dusted, not! But that picture looks so serene!
    Ask HB to tell ya about the ice storms he hit last year, that always gets me shell shocked when winds are a blowin, trees are swaying, and stuff around me is fallin...but yep, very pretty.
    i started out in the morning from wayah bald, headed to noc some 17 miles.temos were on the cool side, and there was a cold blowing mist. i didnt notice much as i warmed up from walking, but after an hour i noticed little icicles hanging off the brim of my hat and as i looked around, i saw the trees and rhodos were getting coated with an icy sheen. 2 hours later i heard a crack and the sound of a tree falling some where in the distance. the branches of the rhodos were hanging a bit lower, and the forest had a stark silvery beauty that hypnotized me in the movement of the icy branches.the wind started picking up as i approached cold spring shelter.there were a few nobos that i knew, laying around, not wanting to leave, and i decided to make lunch under the eave out of the elements, as the mist had turned to frozen rain. as i stood under the eave talking to the others, a branvh slammed down on the roof of the shelter, and a few minutes later, 2 more branches fell right behind me a few feet from the shelter.
    okay, i knew where i was staying the night. i had only gone 6 miles but it was getting downright dangerous, and i had enough food, was gonna be at noc the next day anyway, so decided to stay the night.
    we heard trees and branches cracking and falling throughout the night., and i was glad that night not to be in my tent.
    its all good

rocksNsocks wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

Wow, I can't wait to get dusted, not! But that picture looks so serene!
    Ask HB to tell ya about the ice storms he hit last year, that always gets me shell shocked when winds are a blowin, trees are swaying, and stuff around me is fallin...but yep, very pretty.
    i started out in the morning from wayah bald, headed to noc some 17 miles.temos were on the cool side, and there was a cold blowing mist. i didnt notice much as i warmed up from walking, but after an hour i noticed little icicles hanging off the brim of my hat and as i looked around, i saw the trees and rhodos were getting coated with an icy sheen. 2 hours later i heard a crack and the sound of a tree falling some where in the distance. the branches of the rhodos were hanging a bit lower, and the forest had a stark silvery beauty that hypnotized me in the movement of the icy branches.the wind started picking up as i approached cold spring shelter.there were a few nobos that i knew, laying around, not wanting to leave, and i decided to make lunch under the eave out of the elements, as the mist had turned to frozen rain. as i stood under the eave talking to the others, a branvh slammed down on the roof of the shelter, and a few minutes later, 2 more branches fell right behind me a few feet from the shelter.
    okay, i knew where i was staying the night. i had only gone 6 miles but it was getting downright dangerous, and i had enough food, was gonna be at noc the next day anyway, so decided to stay the night.
    we heard trees and branches cracking and falling throughout the night., and i was glad that night not to be in my tent.
    its all good

in the morning it was cloudy cold and windy, but the sleet and freezing rain had subsided, back to a cold mist.heard a couple of branches fall, but it seemed calm enough for me to go for it. so i made breakfast, packed up and started walking the 11 miles into n.o.c.
    the trail itself was filled with chunks of ice as if someone had taken thousands of ice buckets and tossed them all over the trail. i was getting pelted on my head and shoulders with chunks of ice as big as 4 {long and a half inch thick.
    within minutes i thought of turning back. there was treefall in a lot of spots blocking the trail which at that spot is just a cut in the side of a steep slope. you had to either climb up and around the tree or branches or try to pick your way through the fallen branches. no choice was very good, so i just decided to keep heading north. few minutes later, i hear a rifle shot and a pretty large tree falls from me no more than 60 or 70 yards away.i started laughing,while i was getting pelted with ice, listening to cracking branches and falling trees'"i could die out here", i laughed, then i smiled and thought "then i'll die happy."
    i got on the other side of the ridge out of the wind and immediately things calmed down. around 1pm the sun came out and as it shone through the icy forest, i was treated to a display of thousands of rainbows of light streaming through, and it was all worth it.the falling cascade had stopped, the sun had come out for the first time in days, and all was good. although i was anxious to get to noc and a hot shower, i slowed down as i had all day to make the final three miles.i cherish that day.
    i was never really in any serious danger, but it sure had my adrenaline pumping at the time!
    its all good

About the closest days of dieing was last day of my 98 PCT trek. I had become so used to the beautiful Sierra weather I didn't bother looking where I set my bivy sack out. I woke up in a puddle. Only real rain I had in 5 weeks happened that night. I made coffee & hot chocolate & drank till I got warm as I packed up. Rain turned to snow as I climbed towards Trail Pass. I kept hearing rock slides off in the distance of white out conditions. I cursed having to stop & pee from all the liquids I consumed. Then as I started hiking again I heard a close rock slide & watched a 3' boulder bounce across the trail just in front of me. Glad then I had just pissed!

rocksNsocks wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

By the end of that day I was at north end of the Smokies & back into spring with buds on the trees & green on the ground & learning what ramps are. What a difference the drop in elevation made!
    I still haven't seen a Ramp...I love Onions.

Probably worse, I have probably seen them and just did not recognize it.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Astro wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

By the end of that day I was at north end of the Smokies & back into spring with buds on the trees & green on the ground & learning what ramps are. What a difference the drop in elevation made!
    I still haven't seen a Ramp...I love Onions.

Probably worse, I have probably seen them and just did not recognize it.
    I wouldn't know either...gonna learn tho.

hikerboy wrote:

in the morning it was cloudy cold and windy, but the sleet and freezing rain had subsided, back to a cold mist.heard a couple of branches fall, but it seemed calm enough for me to go for it. so i made breakfast, packed up and started walking the 11 miles into n.o.c.
    the trail itself was filled with chunks of ice as if someone had taken thousands of ice buckets and tossed them all over the trail. i was getting pelted on my head and shoulders with chunks of ice as big as 4 {long and a half inch thick.
    within minutes i thought of turning back. there was treefall in a lot of spots blocking the trail which at that spot is just a cut in the side of a steep slope. you had to either climb up and around the tree or branches or try to pick your way through the fallen branches. no choice was very good, so i just decided to keep heading north. few minutes later, i hear a rifle shot and a pretty large tree falls from me no more than 60 or 70 yards away.i started laughing,while i was getting pelted with ice, listening to cracking branches and falling trees'"i could die out here", i laughed, then i smiled and thought "then i'll die happy."
    i got on the other side of the ridge out of the wind and immediately things calmed down. around 1pm the sun came out and as it shone through the icy forest, i was treated to a display of thousands of rainbows of light streaming through, and it was all worth it.the falling cascade had stopped, the sun had come out for the first time in days, and all was good. although i was anxious to get to noc and a hot shower, i slowed down as i had all day to make the final three miles.i cherish that day.
    i was never really in any serious danger, but it sure had my adrenaline pumping at the time!
    Nice! I think I talked to you right after you got to the Noc, you were glad to be there.

LoboSolo wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ramps+leeks&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS549US549&espv=210&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=cVboUq-CBo3KsQTN7IKYCA&ved=0CE8QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=620

Yeah, I am pretty sure I have seen them, just didn't know I was supposed to eat them.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General