Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

where is dakota joes thread today?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• where is dakota joes thread today?

hikerboy wrote:

in the morning it was cloudy cold and windy, but the sleet and freezing rain had subsided, back to a cold mist.heard a couple of branches fall, but it seemed calm enough for me to go for it. so i made breakfast, packed up and started walking the 11 miles into n.o.c.
    the trail itself was filled with chunks of ice as if someone had taken thousands of ice buckets and tossed them all over the trail. i was getting pelted on my head and shoulders with chunks of ice as big as 4 {long and a half inch thick.
    within minutes i thought of turning back. there was treefall in a lot of spots blocking the trail which at that spot is just a cut in the side of a steep slope. you had to either climb up and around the tree or branches or try to pick your way through the fallen branches. no choice was very good, so i just decided to keep heading north. few minutes later, i hear a rifle shot and a pretty large tree falls from me no more than 60 or 70 yards away.i started laughing,while i was getting pelted with ice, listening to cracking branches and falling trees'"i could die out here", i laughed, then i smiled and thought "then i'll die happy."
    i got on the other side of the ridge out of the wind and immediately things calmed down. around 1pm the sun came out and as it shone through the icy forest, i was treated to a display of thousands of rainbows of light streaming through, and it was all worth it.the falling cascade had stopped, the sun had come out for the first time in days, and all was good. although i was anxious to get to noc and a hot shower, i slowed down as i had all day to make the final three miles.i cherish that day.
    i was never really in any serious danger, but it sure had my adrenaline pumping at the time!

That's downright poetic...brought tears to my eyes.
    Lost in the right direction.

Hey guys, what is going on today? I hope the delete post button was not meant for me! gif.016 I only post good things. Okay, sometimes they are long winded. GUILTY! gif.011
    "You might not get everything you want out of life, but you will get exactly what you need!"-Dakota Joe 2006

The weather here is good. I hiked 19 miles in the Cumberland State Park today. As long as the weather is good on Saturday then I am leaving to head back to the trail. I did not get the gaitors today so hopefully tomorrow. There is a little pain in my back today, but I think it is also because I have been sitting around for over a week. Hikerboy, thanks for sticking up for me on whiteblaze. I have always read a lot of the things posted on there under a great many threads and I do not respond all the time. It's like reading a text book except you have a few writers of the text that are pompous and pious and others that are genuine. I don't think I will ever post another comment on that site, let my last post be my last. I know the risks and assume responsibility for my own actions and risk. I know what I am getting into and the odds against me. I know my gear sucks, my budget sucks, my experience sucks. I have learned a lot from people like you and the other hikers on this forum. I am so glad you guys created the café. Thing is that the first time you do anything in your life is exactly that. No one can ever learn from a book what life teaches in the real world. I thank you guys for all of the advice and support.
    "You might not get everything you want out of life, but you will get exactly what you need!"-Dakota Joe 2006

DakotaJoe wrote:

The weather here is good. I hiked 19 miles in the Cumberland State Park today. As long as the weather is good on Saturday then I am leaving to head back to the trail. I did not get the gaitors today so hopefully tomorrow. There is a little pain in my back today, but I think it is also because I have been sitting around for over a week. Hikerboy, thanks for sticking up for me on whiteblaze. I have always read a lot of the things posted on there under a great many threads and I do not respond all the time. It's like reading a text book except you have a few writers of the text that are pompous and pious and others that are genuine. I don't think I will ever post another comment on that site, let my last post be my last. I know the risks and assume responsibility for my own actions and risk. I know what I am getting into and the odds against me. I know my gear sucks, my budget sucks, my experience sucks. I have learned a lot from people like you and the other hikers on this forum. I am so glad you guys created the café. Thing is that the first time you do anything in your life is exactly that. No one can ever learn from a book what life teaches in the real world. I thank you guys for all of the advice and support.
    just be careful out there and know when to turn back and just hole up in town if the weather starts to turn nasty. trust your instincts, you most likely have a good set.and if that back is bothering you, take it slow. the trail aint gonna go nowhere.you go out too soon, youre gonna be back home in a week.
    its all good

hikerboy wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

just be careful out there and know when to turn back and just hole up in town if the weather starts to turn nasty. trust your instincts, you most likely have a good set.and if that back is bothering you, take it slow. the trail aint gonna go nowhere.you go out too soon, youre gonna be back home in a week.
    yep, and nobody really cares if you make it or not, I mean if you don't do what you set out to do....who cares, it's your hike you hike it the way you want, to me that's a sucsessful hike, not if you get to Katahdin in XYZ amount of time...stay safe Joe.

hikerboy wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

yep, and nobody really cares if you make it or not, I mean if you don't do what you set out to do....who cares, it's your hike you hike it the way you want, to me that's a successful hike, not if you get to Katahdin in XYZ amount of time...stay safe Joe.

hikerboy wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

Rest assured I most certainly will duck for cover if need be. I'm not suicidal. They say if you can survive in max then everything else is just a walk in the woods. They never walked in the woods and most of them who said that were never going to be walking anywhere except to the yard. I never rode that life flight helicopter that landed at least twice week to pick some guy who got caught chalk full of holes and bleeding. I live my life as an open book and always will be one.

rocksNsocks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

yep, and nobody really cares if you make it or not, I mean if you don't do what you set out to do....who cares, it's your hike you hike it the way you want, to me that's a successful hike, not if you get to Katahdin in XYZ amount of time...stay safe Joe.

There is somebody who cares if I do what I set out to do. Me. I care. I want to get there and back and I do not care how long it takes to do it :) slow and steady, but always moving in the right direction!

DakotaJoe wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

There is somebody who cares if I do what I set out to do. Me. I care. I want to get there and back and I do not care how long it takes to do it :) slow and steady, but always moving in the right direction!
    in the meantime, check out soe of the recipes people are posting here. most of these ingredients youll find at dollar general along the way, but youll get some good ideas for good cheap meals.
    its all good

DakotaJoe wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

Cool, Joe I just read your post over there, very good. I'll not post again on that matter, it's not my story to tell, I said what I wanted to say, so that is effectively my last post on that as well.

rocksNsocks wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

Cool, Joe I just read your post over there, very good. I'll not post again on that matter, it's not my story to tell, I said what I wanted to say, so that is effectively my last post on that as well.

Thanks, ever since I logged on to that site I have just been a reader. Read, read, read. I use it for information that quickly becomes when you can't believe what the next person posts and then you just get lost in the riff-raff of it all. I had a good night that night at the Microtel talking with people over though. That is my only positive experience with whiteblaze. You know, the few people who genuinely wanted to help when I actually got a chance to get on there and represent myself and ask questions. Oh yeah, the puppies were the bomb too!

hikerboy wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

in the meantime, check out soe of the recipes people are posting here. most of these ingredients youll find at dollar general along the way, but youll get some good ideas for good cheap meals.

Yeah I will, but if there is one skill I have it is being able to eat good and cheap. I have been mixing everything I can with ramen noodles for the last 10 years and know how to stretch a buck. But I will see what other people are cooking. I eat cause I have to not because I want to!

DakotaJoe wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

Thanks, ever since I logged on to that site I have just been a reader. Read, read, read. I use it for information that quickly becomes when you can't believe what the next person posts and then you just get lost in the riff-raff of it all. I had a good night that night at the Microtel talking with people over though. That is my only positive experience with whiteblaze. You know, the few people who genuinely wanted to help when I actually got a chance to get on there and represent myself and ask questions. Oh yeah, the puppies were the bomb too!
    to the puppies
  • Re:where is dakota joes thread today?

Finally made it out of Atlanta. First Border Patrol and Customs gave me a hard time and then I had to spend the night at the airport because of the *snowpocalypse* (2inches of snow and icy roads really).

Was totally worth it. Im with a friend now I haven't seen in 3 years for various reasons. So happy but also sad because I realized how much I missed her :(

Will hit the trail on Monday now because I still have to get a cellphone and other stuff.

Anyway.. Dacota Joe, I have your stuff in my back. I don't know when me meet though because I messed up my ankle last week and have to go easy on it now.

Hope you are having a blast and looking forward to meeting you. Don't mind what some people on the internet write. Most of them never had a dream let alone trying to live it. So your gear and budget suck, who cares? It might take you longer to hike the trail but you already have been more of an inspiration for ppl than most cyber hikers ever will be.

Sent from my Windows Phone

TrainWreck wrote:

DJ, hopefully you will receive the gaiters today. I have a feeling the snow storms probably delayed the shipment.

Yeah it probably has. It is no big deal. I appreciate you helping me out by sending me the gaitors and I'm willing to wait for t hem.
  • Re:where is dakota joes thread today?

GoodGerman wrote:

Finally made it out of Atlanta. First Border Patrol and Customs gave me a hard time and then I had to spend the night at the airport because of the *snowpocalypse* (2inches of snow and icy roads really).

Was totally worth it. Im with a friend now I haven't seen in 3 years for various reasons. So happy but also sad because I realized how much I missed her :(

Will hit the trail on Monday now because I still have to get a cellphone and other stuff.

Anyway.. Dacota Joe, I have your stuff in my back. I don't know when me meet though because I messed up my ankle last week and have to go easy on it now.

Hope you are having a blast and looking forward to meeting you. Don't mind what some people on the internet write. Most of them never had a dream let alone trying to live it. So your gear and budget suck, who cares? It might take you longer to hike the trail but you already have been more of an inspiration for ppl than most cyber hikers ever will be.

Sent from my Windows Phone

Hey man, sorry to hear about your ankle. I am looking forward to meeting you as well! Thanks for bringing that stuff all the way from Germany. I appreciate it!

Joe, I kinda forget where your at with your gear..could you use a pair of micro spikes (medium size)? if so where would be a good place to send them? prolly take at least a week to get from here, NJ, to wherever.

...What else could you use? I'll go through some stuff.

rocksNsocks wrote:

Joe, I kinda forget where your at with your gear..could you use a pair of micro spikes (medium size)? if so where would be a good place to send them? prolly take at least a week to get from here, NJ, to wherever.

...What else could you use? I'll go through some stuff.

I don't have any micro spikes at all. I will make a new gear least for you guys to evaluate.