Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Harriman Park, 2014-01-17/20

• Harriman Park, 2014-01-17/20

Rasty wrote:

Have a great trip for everyone that will be hiking in Harriman this weekend. May you get negative temperatures and snow! gif.015

+1
      With you in spirit.
      Annie and I have just had a big day, picking blueberries at a farm just north of the city and then about 4 hours on the Bibbulmun.
      Too hot for us to do an overnight so that's about all we could manage for now.
      I have posted 2 videos on my F Book page for those with access.
      For the record we got 10 kilograms (22 pounds) of blueberries and paid $9 a kilo (price rise since last year).
      Given that supermarket prices around here are about $50 a kilo we're pretty happy.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

OzJacko wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Have a great trip for everyone that will be hiking in Harriman this weekend. May you get negative temperatures and snow! gif.015

+1
      With you in spirit.
      Annie and I have just had a big day, picking blueberries at a farm just north of the city and then about 4 hours on the Bibbulmun.
      Too hot for us to do an overnight so that's about all we could manage for now.
      I have posted 2 videos on my F Book page for those with access.
      For the record we got 10 kilograms (22 pounds) of blueberries and paid $9 a kilo (price rise since last year).
      Given that supermarket prices around here are about $50 a kilo we're pretty happy.

+1 another 1 on the hike everybody. Have a great time.
      We pay anywhere from $8 - $12 a gallon for blueberries. Just depends how good a crop it is.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

Logistics failure and was not able to leave for Harriman till 9:30 this morning.
      Snowing heavily. Currently sitting in a parking lot in Yorktown. New rubber not cutting it and few others driving sideways.

Hoping to be at west mtn shelter tonight

Most of us are back and from what I can tell we all had a great time. :cheer:

Hopefully there will be more (better) photos uploaded tomorrow.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

rocksNsocks wrote:

hi cafer's, posted a few picks in my gallery, will upload to this thread another time...I'm wiped out...and off to bed...twas a great time! :)

Hey Socks, it was awsome meeting you, If you ever want to hike again in NY or NJ, just let me know and we'll figure something out.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

I had a great time this weekend! I loved meeting everyone and thanks for coming up to get me at the shelter! I would have been bummed if I had to hike out myself. That's how I know you guys are a great bunch ... and not just a meetup. I will hike with youse guys anytime/anywhere :P. I'll post some pictures soon. <3
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed

We made it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another fun time with the Cafe' misfits gif.014 I must go back, a very cool place. And only 2.5 hours from O S. I still can't believe Laz's winter kit is smaller than my day pack.

Pics tomorrow, my home PC won't load here. I'm taking the day off anyway!

Great seeing old friends and meeting new ones! 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

Good morning! I didn't check in last night because my home Internet connection was down and I couldn't get my email to reset my password here.

It was great meeting you all! The start of the trip was a little TOO exciting but everything worked out fine.

More later, I'm going to have to deal with the bureaucrats at the cable company and find out why my modem isn't talking to them.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

LIhikers wrote:

Me, Kathy, and Tora ,the hiking dog, had a great time. As good as the hike was, the cast of characters was even better! We're already looking forward to doing it again. On another note, Kathy informed me that I owe her a night in the woods to make up for Monday. :)

Indeed.......I was skeeming all the way back to Anthony Wayne, on where I could bivouac on the way home!...........and my step children are here and they have no school 2.gif ................ gif.001
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

I'm sorry to have missed everyone but it was nice getting out regardless. Nothing exciting but I'll post some images within my gallery later.

Laz, based off coach's comments, I'm curious of your winter kit. When you have free time would you mind posting or PM'n what you were packing?
    • Re:Re: Harriman Park, 2014-01-17/20

G.G. wrote:

I'm sorry to have missed everyone but it was nice getting out regardless. Nothing exciting but I'll post some images within my gallery later.

Laz, based off coach's comments, I'm curious of your winter kit. When you have free time would you mind posting or PM'n what you were packing?

I'd like to see it also.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

hi cafer's, posted a few picks in my gallery, will upload to this thread another time...I'm wiped out...and off to bed...twas a great time! :)

Hey Socks, it was awsome meeting you, If you ever want to hike again in NY or NJ, just let me know and we'll figure something out.
      Elf,I assure you the pleasure was truly all mine, look forward to doing it again sometime...what a awesome bunch of people that came together. :)

Just want to say what a terrific time I had on the hike. Though it was very difficult for me personally...a man has to know his limitations, and mine were reached, but, We made it, and I'd do it again, maybe a little different though. Less gear would help, less food, higher temps.... You guys and gals are all such fun people to hang out with I learned a lot on the trip, and am still digesting it all, probably will for days to come.

off to lick my wounds and take some more advil cheers

PS that winter hikin is freakin work....yeah buddy!

rocksNsocks wrote:

Just want to say what a terrific time I had on the hike. Though it was very difficult for me personally...a man has to know his limitations, and mine were reached, but, We made it, and I'd do it again, maybe a little different though. Less gear would help, less food, higher temps.... You guys and gals are all such fun people to hang out with I learned a lot on the trip, and am still digesting it all, probably will for days to come.

That is the lesson that is constantly screaming at us. Take a lighter option or leave it home. I am a slow learner, but pain teaches well.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

That is the lesson that is constantly screaming at us. Take a lighter option or leave it home. I am a slow learner, but pain teaches well.
      its great when you forget something you thought you needed, and then you find you dont need it.
      its all good

I put a few pictures up on my Facebook page. I regret not taking some people shots but here a few photos of the scenery...

https://www.facebook.com/sstimpson/media_set?set=a.10202375977313945.1073741851.1628151861&type=1

Scotty
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

IMScotty wrote:

I put a few pictures up on my Facebook page. I regret not taking some people shots but here a few photos of the scenery...

https://www.facebook.com/sstimpson/media_set?set=a.10202375977313945.1073741851.1628151861&type=1

Scotty

great photos, and great to meet you! i got to the timp, too, so i stole some of your pictures for my facebook timeline! so glad you were able to join in.
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!

Nice pictures.

Pretty funny, if I'm not mistaken, we were there the same night. I had set up roughly 100 yrds or so from the shelter tucked in by a rock ledge to block the wind. Solo. Not one of the two guys who came barreling in late night. Tho I did wake / bother you when I retrieved my hiking poles that I had left hanging... Sorry about that.

G.G. wrote:

Nice pictures.

Pretty funny, if I'm not mistaken, we were there the same night. I had set up roughly 100 yrds or so from the shelter tucked in by a rock ledge to block the wind. Solo. Not one of the two guys who came barreling in late night. Tho I did wake / bother you when I retrieved my hiking poles that I had left hanging... Sorry about that.

i was there Sunday late afternoon and the wind was howling. i can't imagine finding a sheltered place up there. a young couple from brooklyn showed up before i took off... they were setting up their tent in the shelter. sorry we missed you!
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!

IMScotty wrote:

Scotty
      Thanks Scotty, tho I'll have to view them on my wife's FB account, I'm not on there. It was nice to meet you...look forward to doin it again sometime.