Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Harriman Park, 2014-01-17/20

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Harriman Park, 2014-01-17/20

1azarus wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

moose717 wrote:

1azarus wrote:

and now, for the daily i can't wait to go on this hike weather report... according to accuweather, friday high 47 low 23, saturday high 37 low 18, sunday high 30 low 13, monday high 25. No percipitation forecasted for the long weekend, and no likelihood of much snow between now and then.

It is nice to start the trip with the mellowest weather.

stay tuned. being new england, and all...

Can't wait! I don't post often, but have been a lurker here and the other site and can't wait to meet everyone.

Same here Moose! I stalked your picture gallery in the Blaze yesterday! Some very nice shots...and of the Park area.The pic with your friends at lunch behind a shelter looks like a nice area.............I will save the chit chat for the camp fire!

YES! The moment I've been waiting for! Coach just promised to make a campfire.

I believe that teach said that she was going to have one roaring by the time everyone rolled in from their walks. I'll go get wood, I wasn't planning on doing 20 mile days either!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

CoachLou wrote:

1azarus wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

moose717 wrote:

1azarus wrote:

and now, for the daily i can't wait to go on this hike weather report... according to accuweather, friday high 47 low 23, saturday high 37 low 18, sunday high 30 low 13, monday high 25. No percipitation forecasted for the long weekend, and no likelihood of much snow between now and then.

Can't wait! I don't post often, but have been a lurker here and the other site and can't wait to meet everyone.

Same here Moose! I stalked your picture gallery in the Blaze yesterday! Some very nice shots...and of the Park area.The pic with your friends at lunch behind a shelter looks like a nice area.............I will save the chit chat for the camp fire!

YES! The moment I've been waiting for! Coach just promised to make a campfire.

I believe that teach said that she was going to have one roaring by the time everyone rolled in from their walks. I'll go get wood, I wasn't planning on doing 20 mile days either!
      "git wood boy" is my middle name.

1azarus wrote:

...the forecast today now says friday high 42 low 27, saturday high 37 low 22, sunday high 30 low 28, monday high 37. In all cases, low temps are a bit higher, and daytime temps are a bit above freezing. No percipitation forecasted except for a little rain on saturday, and no likelihood of much snow between now and then. into every life a little rain must fall... still pretty far away for the forecast, so stay tuned!
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!

1azarus wrote:

1azarus wrote:

...the forecast today now says friday high 42 low 27, saturday high 37 low 22, sunday high 30 low 28, monday high 37. In all cases, low temps are a bit higher, and daytime temps are a bit above freezing. No percipitation forecasted except for a little rain on saturday, and no likelihood of much snow between now and then. into every life a little rain must fall... still pretty far away for the forecast, so stay tuned!
      long term forecasts always pan out
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

1azarus wrote:

1azarus wrote:

yup, it is amusing. for my hikes, it always seems to rain, no matter what the forecast. still, i'm a sucker for daydreaming, so the forecasts stoke the dream...

1azarus wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

1azarus wrote:

1azarus wrote:

yup, it is amusing. for my hikes, it always seems to rain, no matter what the forecast. still, i'm a sucker for daydreaming, so the forecasts stoke the dream...
      You and Socks had the drought for your Batona walk...no?
    • Re:Re: Harriman Park, 2014-01-17/20

hikerboy wrote:

1azarus wrote:

1azarus wrote:

I'm predicting rain in 2016 and some snow
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

1azarus wrote:

1azarus wrote:

I'm predicting rain in 2016 and some snow

I hope to be done with Harriman Park by 2016 :huh:

actually, the second night out there was a significant rainfall... at least that's the way i remember it, and i'm sticking with that story! i think i tried to use a plastic garbage bag to collect water overnight without much luck... the campsite had no water source -- definitely car camper territory.

1azarus wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

1azarus wrote:

1azarus wrote:

Hey on my section from Hot Springs,NC to Pearisburg, VA it rained on me everyday the first 3 weeks.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

quote="1azarus" post=10647]. No percipitation forecasted except for a little rain on saturday, and no likelihood of much snow between now and then. into every life a little rain must fall... for my hikes, it always seems to rain, no matter what the forecast. still, i'm a sucker for daydreaming, so the forecasts stoke the dream...[/quote]

Hey on my section from Hot Springs,NC to Pearisburg, VA it rained on me everyday the first 3 weeks.[/quote]

Note to self, pack rain gear! :P

LIhikers wrote:

quote="1azarus" post=10647]. No percipitation forecasted except for a little rain on saturday, and no likelihood of much snow between now and then. into every life a little rain must fall... for my hikes, it always seems to rain, no matter what the forecast. still, i'm a sucker for daydreaming, so the forecasts stoke the dream...

Hey on my section from Hot Springs,NC to Pearisburg, VA it rained on me everyday the first 3 weeks.[/quote]

Note to self, pack rain gear! :P[/quote]

Always :)

CoachLou wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

quote="1azarus" post=10647]. No percipitation forecasted except for a little rain on saturday, and no likelihood of much snow between now and then. into every life a little rain must fall... for my hikes, it always seems to rain, no matter what the forecast. still, i'm a sucker for daydreaming, so the forecasts stoke the dream...

Hey on my section from Hot Springs,NC to Pearisburg, VA it rained on me everyday the first 3 weeks.

Note to self, pack rain gear! :P[/quote]

Always :)[/quote]

Yeah, like we learned from the Boy Scouts and Lion King, Be Prepared!
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Always :)[/quote]

Yeah, like we learned from the Boy Scouts and Lion King, Be Prepared![/quote]

CoachLou wrote:

Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Always :)

Yeah, like we learned from the Boy Scouts and Lion King, Be Prepared![/quote]

[/quote]

4c in 1960???? wow. i wasn't prepared for that.

I'm all in favor of seeing dropping temperatures rather than a chance of rain, if we can keep it in the mid twenties (*f) that would perfect.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Just confirming that I am still intending the night of the 18th (your day) somewhere on the Bibbulmun Track as a "with you in spirit" thing.
      My greatest concern is bushfire (aka wildfire in your neck of the woods).
      I will be carrying a lot of water but bag, clothes etc should be very minimal.
      :ohmy:
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

OzJacko wrote:

Just confirming that I am still intending the night of the 18th (your day) somewhere on the Bibbulmun Track as a "with you in spirit" thing.
      My greatest concern is bushfire (aka wildfire in your neck of the woods).
      I will be carrying a lot of water but bag, clothes etc should be very minimal.
      :ohmy:

Good, you have room in your pack for my fleece blanket....................................I'll cut you 2 pieces of cheesecake! :P

OzJacko wrote:

If I was hiking in your weather I would pack ice cream.
      :lol:

Overload had a small cake frozen. Andy and I are going to overnite tomorrow, so I took it out of freezer and put it in fridge to defrost by Saturday morning. So she sayz...."you should just leave it and put in your pack in the morning, it will defrost by dinner!" HA! ain't no defrosting going on in my pack this week...or any week soon! :) 2.gif gif.002 :blink:

CoachLou wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Overload had a small cake frozen. Andy and I are going to overnite tomorrow, so I took it out of freezer and put it in fridge to defrost by Saturday morning. So she sayz...."you should just leave it and put in your pack in the morning, it will defrost by dinner!" HA! ain't no defrosting going on in my pack this week...or any week soon! :) 2.gif gif.002 :blink:

did i hear cheesecake? gif.013 gif.013 gif.013 gif.013 gif.013

i suppose i can cut back on the snacks. i have enough food for 3 days.
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

did i hear cheesecake? gif.013 gif.013 gif.013 gif.013 gif.013

i suppose i can cut back on the snacks. i have enough food for 3 days.

Yea, I packed food last nite to. Going lite, same same....3 days, and small cheesecake! :whistle:

rocketscientist wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I'm all in favor of seeing dropping temperatures rather than a chance of rain, if we can keep it in the mid twenties (*f) that would perfect.

I am in 100% agreement on this, Mr. Elf :)
      ditto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8b9HEIx5J8&feature=player_detailpage
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

Okay I am throwing this out there in this thread as it can be a topic for discussion when people get together.

In the old cafe for a long time there was discussion on a calendar. I know I submitted a photo. gif.002

I propose we really do one this time.

I am prepared to submit a new photo so that it can't be said I am just trying to get even.

Comments???
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

OzJacko wrote:

Okay I am throwing this out there in this thread as it can be a topic for discussion when people get together.

In the old cafe for a long time there was discussion on a calendar. I know I submitted a photo. gif.002

I am prepared to submit a new photo so that it can't be said I am just trying to get even.

Comments???

I can provide one too.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

OzJacko wrote:

Comments???

do you mean a calendar for future events?
      Lost in the right direction.

TrafficJam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Comments???

OZ will have to explain the concept
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

OzJacko wrote:

Comments???

I'm pleading the 5th
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Comments???

OZ will have to explain the concept

Bit of a "beefcake" concept actually.
      HOWEVER we have 11 months to get one together and I am NOT suggesting all need to get au naturel. I think a photo of a section of your favorite trail with you in it. Preferably the photo should reflect the season for the month you are representing.

Rasty wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Comments???

I'm pleading the 5th

Can't accept that. International rules apply. gif.014