Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

To Head Start or Not

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• To Head Start or Not

So I have been considering changing my plan from hiking NOBO from the NOC around April 1 to hiking NOBO from the north end of the SNP around mid April. I've already hiked Springer to the NOC ( started mid April at the back of the bubble) and from the northern SNP south to Newport, VA. My main restriction is that I must come home early August for my daughter's wedding mid August. I'm thinking I can probably make Katadin by the 1st of August and then finish the rest of the trail SOBO after the wedding. It appeals to the environmentalist in me because I would be lessening the herd in the south this spring. Also, I enjoy hiking most in small groups. 30 people in one place at one time is too many. And I remember from being at the back of the bubble how gross a lot of the privies were- literally full to the brim.
      Now I do like to do my fair share of partying too, but not until 2 am every night at every shelter. I usually do not even camp at shelters. I imagine there would be some early starters to hike with and some other hikers starting at Harper's Ferry.

Any thoughts/opinions as to whether I should stick with the more traditional plan or jump ahead? Any negatives to jumping ahead and then hiking south in the fall?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

The post was edited 1 time, last by jimmyjam ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

Fall in the south would be nice. You know I have no experience with these kinds of questions but starting NOBO from the north end of SNP sounds like a good plan. What month are the black flies and mud an issue? June?

Mud season in Vermont ends around June 1, and I think the black flies die down in Maine around early August. I can handle them.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • It appears you will be opting for more cooler than warmer weather in the main hike. For some that is a plus, for others not.

Of course Newport, VA to the NOC is going to be warm in August.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

It appears you will be opting for more cooler than warmer weather in the main hike. For some that is a plus, for others not.

Of course Newport, VA to the NOC is going to be warm in August.

While I do hike in warm/hot weather, it's not my favorite. it's hard to sleep at night when it's still 80* and the humidity is 90+. I like it best a little on the cool side- I don't get so sweaty hiking and I sleep better. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • the key is to make sure you reach katahdin before you have to leave for the wedding. otherwise you have the expense and hassle of an additonal trip to/from the trail.

the disadvantages of the sobo stretch would be the same as any sobo trip - some hostels may be closed, cold weather maybe snow in the gsmnp, and hiking in hunting season.

caveat - i havent done this, these are just thots that come to mind.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

the key is to make sure you reach katahdin before you have to leave for the wedding. otherwise you have the expense and hassle of an additonal trip to/from the trail.

the disadvantages of the sobo stretch would be the same as any sobo trip - some hostels may be closed, cold weather maybe snow in the gsmnp, and hiking in hunting season.

caveat - i havent done this, these are just thots that come to mind.

Shouldn't have to average much more than 12 miles a day, so that probably shouldn't be a problem to make it Katahdin by 8/1.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Now I do like to do my fair share of partying too, but not until 2 am every night at every shelter. I usually do not even camp at shelters. I imagine there would be some early starters to hike with and some other hikers starting at Harper's Ferry.

I started my hike on April 5, 2013 from Springer and I stayed at/near 8 shelters and 1 large campsite (Bly Gap). And there were a lot of youngsters in their 20's at a number of them as well as others who liked to party but almost everyone was in their sleeping bags by 9pm at the latest.

What kind of mileage are you planning to do when you start?
    • jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Fall in the south would be nice. You know I have no experience with these kinds of questions but starting NOBO from the north end of SNP sounds like a good plan. What month are the black flies and mud an issue? June?

Mud season in Vermont ends around June 1, and I think the black flies die down in Maine around early August. I can handle them.

I hiked south from Katahdin starting July 4. the trails through 100 Mile Wilderness were still pretty muddy, but passable, and the black flies were gone.

I'm planning to hike south from Manchester Center starting Jun 15. We might cross paths if you haven't already gotten past there.
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15
    • jimmyjam wrote:

So I have been considering changing my plan from hiking NOBO from the NOC around April 1 to hiking NOBO from the north end of the SNP around mid April.

I've been digging Wunderground's Travel Planner for historical weather data. Looks pretty good for the area in Mid-April. Avg lows 42, highs 63. Record lows have been in the high 20s.

wunderground.com/history/airpo…tename=West+Virginia&MR=1

North end of SNP is home to Front Royal Terrapin Station Hostel, run by Mike Evans. Former thru hiker, trail maintainer, Dead Head, all-round great guy ... He runs shuttles all over the region. 540-539-0509
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15
    • LDog wrote:

North end of SNP is home to Front Royal Terrapin Station Hostel, run by Mike Evans. Former thru hiker, trail maintainer, Dead Head, all-round great guy ... He runs shuttles all over the region. 540-539-0509

listed for sale in a recent issue of at journeys. wants to move closer to grandchildren.

i have no idea if the hostel is still open or not. a phone call would certainly be prudent before just showing up until anyone with more info posts. i have not seen any of the 2015 guides yet so i have no info if it is listed or not.
      2,000 miler
    • LDog wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I hiked south from Katahdin starting July 4. the trails through 100 Mile Wilderness were still pretty muddy, but passable, and the black flies were gone.

I'm planning to hike south from Manchester Center starting Jun 15. We might cross paths if you haven't already gotten past there.

LD, it will be close, depending on when exactly I start,etc, I should pass thru Manchester Center early to mid June. I' starting sometime between 4/1 and 4/15 and it is 700 mi to there from my starting point.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference