Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Uwharrie Trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Uwharrie Trail

I'm going hiking tomorrow. I have four days off. The Uwharrie / Dutchman's Creek trail is a 45 mile Lolly-Pop hike. Should take three easy days in the foothills. I'll post an article when I get back.
      Files
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Day 1 - Reached the 1306 trailhead at 5pm and hiked south on the Uwharrie trail floor about 3 miles and camped.

Day 2 - Hiked south on the Uwharrie trail until the second intersection with the Dutchman's Creek trail. Hiked the southern six miles of the Dutchman's creek trail until in met back up with the Uwharrie trail at the southern trailhead parking lot. Started north on the Uwharrie trail. Made dinner at a small creek about 3/4 of a mile south of Dennis Mountain. Total miles today is 20. I'm camped on Dennis Mountain now.

Another 17 miles tomorrow and an easy 1 mile on Saturday to the car.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

see RNS , somebody here actually hikes .:)

I would hike more if the trails weren't so elusive. :D

If they had big signs then everyone would use them. There would be a Starsucks at every switchback.

In downtown Phoenix there were at least five Starbucks within one mile of each other. Just trying to find a find a coffee mug for my wife, otherwise I avoid them.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Since already off topic on Starbucks, Magic Johnson was the keynote speaker at the conference. Very positive with a big smile, and had a funny story about the over 100 Starbucks he put in "urban" areas. It was about how my people like the coffee but they don't know what scones are. Had put in different foods to be successful.
    • Astro wrote:

In downtown Phoenix there were at least five Starbucks within one mile of each other. Just trying to find a find a coffee mug for my wife, otherwise I avoid them.

Used to be that in Colonie, NY (suburb of Albany) there was a "big box" Barnes and Noble with a Starbucks inside, a Starbucks out front, and a Starbucks at the shopping mall entrance across the street. The local indie paper gave them the "Most Redundant Marketing Award."
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Here in eastern MA the big thing is Dunkin Donuts. Never understood how there could be so many of these, but apparently people like 'em. My occasional hiking partner Julie is crazy about DD, we'd always have to stop at a DD on the way to the trailhead and on the way back home. When we pulled into the lot, she'd have the door of the car open before it even came to a full stop. I have another buddy I fly RC planes with. He is never, I mean never seen without a DD coffee in his hand. Whenever we travel together, even for few miles, there's a good chance of a Dunkin Donuts stop.
    • rafe wrote:

Here in eastern MA the big thing is Dunkin Donuts. Never understood how there could be so many of these, but apparently people like 'em. My occasional hiking partner Julie is crazy about DD, we'd always have to stop at a DD on the way to the trailhead and on the way back home. When we pulled into the lot, she'd have the door of the car open before it even came to a full stop. I have another buddy I fly RC planes with. He is never, I mean never seen without a DD coffee in his hand. Whenever we travel together, even for few miles, there's a good chance of a Dunkin Donuts stop.
      ive always found dd coffee to be too thin.not a fan
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

rafe wrote:

Here in eastern MA the big thing is Dunkin Donuts. Never understood how there could be so many of these, but apparently people like 'em. My occasional hiking partner Julie is crazy about DD, we'd always have to stop at a DD on the way to the trailhead and on the way back home. When we pulled into the lot, she'd have the door of the car open before it even came to a full stop. I have another buddy I fly RC planes with. He is never, I mean never seen without a DD coffee in his hand. Whenever we travel together, even for few miles, there's a good chance of a Dunkin Donuts stop.
      ive always found dd coffee to be too thin.not a fan

I'm OK with it, it's just not a huge deal. I don't go out of my way to find it. It tastes OK to me, and it's always fresh. Amazingly consistent from store to store, which I'm sure is a huge part of the appeal, as it is for all of these large franchises.
    • Drybones wrote:

I've never had a cup of Starbucks....I am insulted when asked to pay that much for a cup of coffee.

A small cup of brewed coffee is $1.86.....DD $1.95??? The macho super heavy latte frappa watchumacallit costs the big bucks....as does DDs latte or coolata thingys. I drank the DD dishwater before....addictively.........Starsucks Pikes brand is "grow hair on your chest' strong, and I like it............and it ain't no more expensive than DDs.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • rafe wrote:

Now while I do not drink coffee unless I have to (no Diet Coke to be found for caffeine), I would really enjoy those Dunkin Donuts! Don't need them but sure would look forward to getting them.
    • CoachLou wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I've never had a cup of Starbucks....I am insulted when asked to pay that much for a cup of coffee.

A small cup of brewed coffee is $1.86.....DD $1.95??? The macho super heavy latte frappa watchumacallit costs the big bucks....as does DDs latte or coolata thingys. I drank the DD dishwater before....addictively.........Starsucks Pikes brand is "grow hair on your chest' strong, and I like it............and it ain't no more expensive than DDs.

Some of the Cuban's espressos have gotten my attention. My hearts attention too.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Rasty wrote:

I'm going hiking tomorrow. I have four days off. The Uwharrie / Dutchman's Creek trail is a 45 mile Lolly-Pop hike. Should take three easy days in the foothills. I'll post an article when I get back.

You see Rasty, this is your fault.....if you hadn't started off talking about lolipops, we might not be now talking about coffee. But don't all threads end up about food? ^^
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I didn't even know Duck Dynasty was doing coffee.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Just got home

Hiked 17 miles on day 3. The western side of the Uwharrie and Dutchman's creek trail are the best part. Pretty scenery, plenty of ups and downs. The only downside was I forgot to bring mayonnaise packets and had to eat my tuna plain.

Camped about a mile south of my car on Dark Mountain which wasn't very spooky even on Halloween. Woke up to rain this morning and went for Bojangles biscuits.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123