Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

health care on the trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• rocksNsocks wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Anyone out there got your Obamacare yet?

I have my own policy so haven't had to attempt a log on yet, plus I don't want to be counted as seeking info and added to the false number of hits to be constude as needing. They should just start over.

They will start over, but not until the health care industry has been destoyed.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Application was accepted on Oct. 26th. Called 3 weeks later and was told they we're sorry but they had a few glitches in the system and my acceptance letter was lost they had no record of it. This was the online application. Filled out telephone app. and was accepted.Call two weeks ago and they said keep checking the mail would be contacted soon. Closer to 3 weeks now.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • milkman wrote:

Application was accepted on Oct. 26th. Called 3 weeks later and was told they we're sorry but they had a few glitches in the system and my acceptance letter was lost they had no record of it. This was the online application. Filled out telephone app. and was accepted.Call two weeks ago and they said keep checking the mail would be contacted soon. Closer to 3 weeks now.

I think the plan is to control cost by making the process so stressful that many will have a stroke and die.
    • hikerboy wrote:

why dont we just all agree its a flawed plan and move on..
      i really dont want to start any political threads. its counterproductive. politics comes up in a conversation, thats fine, but pleae dont initiate political discussions unless it relates directly to hiking or the trail.

I may get injured and need medical attention on my hike...what am I supposed to do?
    • Drybones wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

i really dont want to start any political threads. its counterproductive. politics comes up in a conversation, thats fine, but pleae dont initiate political discussions unless it relates directly to hiking or the trail.

I may get injured and need medical attention on my hike...what am I supposed to do?

simple, as mr romney would say dont get hurt.
      obamacare is only temporary until hillarycare replaces it.
      its all good
    • Drybones wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Holler for a trail angel!
    • Drybones wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

then ask the question, how do you intend to handle health insurance on the trail?
      its all good
    • TrainWreck wrote:

Drybones wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LW might hear me and come shoot the trail angel and me.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Drybones wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

You're still ok. He'd then whisk you away in his ambulance to the nearest ER.
    • TrainWreck wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Drybones wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

He is such an angel!......i'd prefer Charlie send one of his tho.
    • TrainWreck wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Drybones wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

then get ya drunk...good guy!
    • hikerboy wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I'm still laughing at the title change....do I have the honor of being the first moderated member? You guys should make me a plaque or something.

we didnt start the site to initiate political rants.they are divisive, and the site intends to be inclusive.
      its a legitimate conversation.just needed a non political title

Us kids have to figure out where the lines are. Any other taboo topics?
    • Drybones wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I'm still laughing at the title change....do I have the honor of being the first moderated member? You guys should make me a plaque or something.

we didnt start the site to initiate political rants.they are divisive, and the site intends to be inclusive.

can you bake?
    • Actually, this is a pretty interesting point to ponder. A hiker who is injured badly enough where he has to obtain medical attention on the spot may end up paying for the whole thing out of pocket, even if he's insured, because of the countless variations in plans, acceptance of coverage, deductibles, participating physicians, etc. Something new to consider when calculating the cost of a thru hike.
    • Drybones wrote:

milkman wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Thanks Bro.....I am soooooo honored. Shall I give my acceptance speach now?

Just taking a bow (wow) will suffice.
    • TrainWreck wrote:

Actually, this is a pretty interesting point to ponder. A hiker who is injured badly enough where he has to obtain medical attention on the spot may end up paying for the whole thing out of pocket, even if he's insured, because of the countless variations in plans, acceptance of coverage, deductibles, participating physicians, etc. Something new to consider when calculating the cost of a thru hike.

Exactly. My new deductible and new out of pocket is like not having any insurance at all.
    • TrainWreck wrote:

Actually, this is a pretty interesting point to ponder. A hiker who is injured badly enough where he has to obtain medical attention on the spot may end up paying for the whole thing out of pocket, even if he's insured, because of the countless variations in plans, acceptance of coverage, deductibles, participating physicians, etc. Something new to consider when calculating the cost of a thru hike.

I was thinking the same as I listened to the latest developments last night, not just hiking but any travel.
    • Drybones wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Drybones wrote:

there really arent any taboo topics.but for us to keep moderation out of our forums, people need to exercise some self restraint. we;re a hiking site, and a hiking community. the conversations should be somewhat related to that. there are plenty of other forums where you can talk politics all day long. one thing i like about the trail is i dont have to deal with peoples political bullshit.our government has divided us with social issues that have nothing to do with governing. we dont have to help them. if you want to initiate a political discussion, let it be about finding solutions, rather than just blind criticism. its good to encourage thinking, i do it all the time. but be respectful of your other family members here, and help us make the site helpful to newbies.
      thats all i ask..
      its all good
    • milkman wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Exactly. My new deductible and new out of pocket is like not having any insurance at all.
      now not trying to be political here, but this is exactly one of the biggest problem I see with the plan, it doesn't help the people it was meant to help...If I could afford that, I'd just pay outta pocket in the first place...so basically it'a a catastrophic plan.
    • That world-wide rescue insurance (maybe somebody can put the link in here) might be something to look into. That would get you off the trail. But then the hospital would be another story.
    • rocksNsocks wrote:

now not trying to be political here, but this is exactly one of the biggest problem I see with the plan, it doesn't help the people it was meant to help...If I could afford that, I'd just pay outta pocket in the first place...so basically it'a a catastrophic plan.[/quote]
      That's all my policy is.
    • hikerboy wrote:

Drybones wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Drybones wrote:

be respectful of your other family members here, and help us make the site helpful to newbies.
      thats all i ask..

I've wondered what the intent of the site was, to be a small group or to grow? I speak fluent French, but it's a secondary language, and this may be hypocrical, but IMO, half the visitors will be offended and not return if they see a lot of posts with "fuck" in every sentence. A little French here and there may not bother them but if it becomes too trashy they wont return, IMO.
    • I just don't get that they don't get that in it's current state, many people can't afford it, most retirees are on fixed incomes, and most will require meds as they age...food too. Something has to give. In my best thinking, it should be revamped...just start over and get it right. anything short of that is just not good enough for the best Country in the world.
    • milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

That's all my policy is.

rocksNsocks wrote
      now not trying to be political here, but this is exactly one of the biggest problem I see with the plan, it doesn't help the people it was meant to help...If I could afford that, I'd just pay outta pocket in the first place...so basically it'a a catastrophic plan.
    • Drybones wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Drybones wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Drybones wrote:

be respectful of your other family members here, and help us make the site helpful to newbies.
      thats all i ask..

I've wondered what the intent of the site was, to be a small group or to grow? I speak fluent French, but it's a secondary language, and this may be hypocrical, but IMO, half the visitors will be offended and not return if they see a lot of posts with "fuck" in every sentence. A little French here and there may not bother them but if it becomes too trashy they wont return, IMO.

moderation in everything leads to less moderation here. :) that being said, fuck em.its not a new word.
      its all good
    • rocksNsocks wrote:

I just don't get that they don't get that in it's current state, many people can't afford it, most retirees are on fixed incomes, and most will require meds as they age...food too. Something has to give. In my best thinking, it should be revamped...just start over and get it right. anything short of that is just not good enough for the best Country in the world.

i agree its a terrible plan and should be repealed.universal health care can work, but not until the sytemwide abuses and fraud, as well as caps on prescription drug costs, dropping the ban on cheaper canadian versions of the same drug from the same company.prescription drug advertising should be banned. i shouldnt need to ask my doctor if a drug is right for me. he should already know
      its all good