Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Newport, VA to Harpers Ferry (Shenandoah National Park)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Newport, VA to Harpers Ferry (Shenandoah National Park)

In mid-July to early August I will be hiking from Newport, VA to Harpers Ferry. Plan is to leave a mail drop at a motel in Daleville on my way to Newport (taking bus into Roanoke), and mail another one to Rock Fish Gap.

Now for my questions.
      1. If I am averaging 15-20 miles a day how often can I expect to grab hot (or at least fresh) food from the Waysides (or whatever) in Shenandoah National Park?

2. Any feedback about staying at the Inn at Afton or the Colony House Motel at Rockfish Gap?

3. In Daleville any feedback about Howard Johnson v. Super 8?

Thanks in advance for any other advice you have. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Re: Newport, VA to Harpers Ferry (Shenandoah National Park)

I did this section last year, mostly sobo. The Acton inn is closed. I can give you more detailed info and camping and water info this evening after say 7pm. it is a nice section. Lots of great views.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Astro wrote:

In mid-July to early August I will be hiking from Newport, VA to Harpers Ferry. Plan is to leave a mail drop at a motel in Daleville on my way to Newport (taking bus into Roanoke), and mail another one to Rock Fish Gap.

Now for my questions.
      1. If I am averaging 15-20 miles a day how often can I expect to grab hot (or at least fresh) food from the Waysides (or whatever) in Shenandoah National Park?

2. Any feedback about staying at the Inn at Afton or the Colony House Motel at Rockfish Gap?

I did this section last October, enjoyable walking, got some hills but no killers that I recall.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • 52 people rated the afton on trip advisor. looks like a hiker kind of place. :) JJ you may have dodged a bullet since it was closed when you were there. on the other hand, it would have been good training for the doyle.

Traveler rating:
      Excellent 3
      Very good 1
      Average 2
      Poor 4
      Terrible 42
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

Now for my questions.

I just spent 15 minutes typing you a nice trip report and when I hit submit it said my session had expired and when I logged back in it lost all my hen pecking Aaaarrrrrrrr. I will PM you my email/phone # and you can call me or send me your email and I'll write it up again (tomorrow) and send it to you.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • [/quote]

I just spent 15 minutes typing you a nice trip report and when I hit submit it said my session had expired and when I logged back in it lost all my hen pecking Aaaarrrrrrrr. I will PM you my email/phone # and you can call me or send me your email and I'll write it up again (tomorrow) and send it to you.[/quote]

JJ, when I write something that takes a long time, I highlight the text, right click, and copy it. Then if I have to log in again, I just right click and paste it.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • max.patch wrote:

52 people rated the afton on trip advisor. looks like a hiker kind of place. :) JJ you may have dodged a bullet since it was closed when you were there. on the other hand, it would have been good training for the doyle.

Traveler rating:
      Excellent 3
      Very good 1
      Average 2
      Poor 4
      Terrible 42

I do believe this must be the worst reviewed hotel in the history of Trip Advisor. Some of the reviews were at least entertaining. I recall reading some news stories about the local governments trying to get the place condemned it was so bad, but couldn't get the owners to leave. Very strange.
    • Astro wrote:

I'll be just ahead of you. I'm worried about the heat. Any feel for what the temps might be up in the mountains south of Roanoke?
    • It varies. Last year I hiked in daytime temps from 70s to 100 in August and September. When it hit a 100 I bailed and went home for 2 weeks. Night time it was nice, probably upper 50s to 70 most of the time except that100* heat wave when at night it was still in the 80s.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

It varies. Last year I hiked in daytime temps from 70s to 100 in August and September. When it hit a 100 I bailed and went home for 2 weeks. Night time it was nice, probably upper 50s to 70 most of the time except that100* heat wave when at night it was still in the 80s.

right now they are predicting low '90s for Roanoke at the end of next week, so if it's a little cooler up in the hills, that's not exactly a heat wave.
    • I believe I must have pulled a muscle in my leg somewhere in the rocks around Dragon's Tooth. After doing 18 miles the next day down to Daleville it was hurting pretty good. So HM helped me slack pack for a couple days, and then I planned to try to do 10-12 for a few days and then around 14 per day until I got to SNP and catch up there. Unforuntately after three days with full pack at 10-12 it was getting worse and worse both up and down hill (even hurting at night). So I was lucky enough to have Deer Hunter pick me up after the James River Foot bridge and take me to Charlottesvile to catch the train to Harpers Ferry. Stopped by 3 Springs Hostel on the way with DH. Really nice lady runs it, and I would strongly recommend staying there if it fits for you. Spent last two nights in Harpers Ferry and will catch the train back home this afternoon. Took a trip to DC yesterday and went to some of the Smithsonian Museums. Got pictures and information that should help with the paper I am presenting on Charles Lindbergh and the Spirit of St. Louis in October. So while a bummer in that I only made 110 instead of the 350 miles I planned, trip still was good and I have almost two week to get a lot of work I need done. I really appreciate all the help I got from HM and DH! Without the old Cafe at the TOS, I would not have known them, and this trip might have been a much bigger dispointment.
    • Astro wrote:

I believe I must have pulled a muscle in my leg somewhere in the rocks around Dragon's Tooth. After doing 18 miles the next day down to Daleville it was hurting pretty good. So HM helped me slack pack for a couple days, and then I planned to try to do 10-12 for a few days and then around 14 per day until I got to SNP and catch up there. Unforuntately after three days with full pack at 10-12 it was getting worse and worse both up and down hill (even hurting at night). So I was lucky enough to have Deer Hunter pick me up after the James River Foot bridge and take me to Charlottesvile to catch the train to Harpers Ferry. Stopped by 3 Springs Hostel on the way with DH. Really nice lady runs it, and I would strongly recommend staying there if it fits for you. Spent last two nights in Harpers Ferry and will catch the train back home this afternoon. Took a trip to DC yesterday and went to some of the Smithsonian Museums. Got pictures and information that should help with the paper I am presenting on Charles Lindbergh and the Spirit of St. Louis in October. So while a bummer in that I only made 110 instead of the 350 miles I planned, trip still was good and I have almost two week to get a lot of work I need done. I really appreciate all the help I got from HM and DH! Without the old Cafe at the TOS, I would not have known them, and this trip might have been a much bigger dispointment.

sorry you had to cut it short, but real happy you had such a great trip.im grateful as well for the friendships that have been formed.we dont all see eye to eye all the time, but its all good.
      its all good
    • While waiting for my train on Tuesday I was hanging out at the ATC Headquarters and I had the chance to meet and talk a little while with Baltimore Jack. So that was pretty neat.

Also had the chance to review the cards for the AT Thru Hike board game and gave them feedback. I am hoping their target market is families, because children now days pretty much just play video games, and only do board games when other family members pull them in.

Harpers Ferry is a pretty neat little town with a lot of history (Washington, Jefferson, Lewis & Clark, John Brown, Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson, etc.). On the plus side I can hike on through next summer with out feeling I am missing something.
    • I am headed out for somewhere between Spy Rock and Thornton Gap for an over-nighter this weekend. Can't decide yet on where I'll land. I sewed a beak extension on my tarp because I got some ricochet rain in the "foyer" last time I was out- so I am actually hoping for a shower so I can trail test it.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference