Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Solo hiking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro commented that he learns something new every time he goes out and that's true for me. Water was the cause of my panic. With my winter stuff, my pack was several pounds heavier than was comfortable so I left my nalgene at home and took a smaller bottle. When it came time to camp, my bottle was 1/3 full. I was getting tired and thought I had passed a good place earlier, so turned around. I couldn't find it and kept walking until I was again near the road. I was fine with the water I had, but really wanted something hot to drink. I crossed the road and found a spot but it was too close to the road and that worried me. I found another spot that was leafy and decided it was okay because I would hear anyone or anything approaching. I sat there and convinced myself I was still too close to the road and would stay up all night worrying so walked back and hitched to the car. Lesson learned, keep the water bottle full.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I waited to put this in the "new" thread.

A couple of ideas were floated about sleeping aids. Both involving pills. Again, I am not being critical of preferences. They are just that. I prefer to not take drugs unless it is absolutely needed. I feel the same way about purifying water.

If noise (or the lack thereof) is an issue, I would suggest earplugs. Earplugs take some getting used to. If you are inclined to try this, practice at home. That may sound silly. You might not have an issue with them. I did.

This idea was born from a cricket infestation in my home. Our family has always tried to take advantage of the outdoors in the summer. One summer after coming home from 4 weeks of camping, fishing, and hiking, we were greeted with a house full of crickets. I could not sleep. I could not wear earplugs while sleeping. Suffice it to say, I can now.

I find earplugs neutralize the environment. I can imagine I am anywhere while I am wearing earplugs. Having said all this, I use them only when noisy hikers are nearby. I don't mind the sounds of the woods (unless it is crickets).
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • I have no tips, I don't think there are any tricks. It is an experience level. I have been doing this since I was 10, I studied at Parris Island, I have hiked and fished all thru Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. I like hooking up with the folks I've meet on these sites over the last few years, but I'm finding that I enjoy the solo trips just as well. And I know that the forest is soooo much safer than the streets of New Haven or New York......even the banjoes playing in the distance!!! And I'm way too tired at the end of the day to have any trouble falling asleep.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • LoboSolo wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Tips, tricks, opinions, ideas, and stories...
      carry a pistol

Too heavy. Bear spray works good. As an added benefit the assailant is conveniently marked with florescent orange paint. You also can have fun kicking the crap out of him while he is checking to see if he still has eyes.
    • The first time I slept alone in the woods was when I was 12 years old in the Boy Scouts. The Scoutmasters had us do it as an exercise to help quell our fear.
      On our weekend campouts through the summer at our base camp (which was behind the cemetery and added a level of fear itself) we would pitch our tent at a secondary camp about a half mile away. It was definitely a learning experience. Once done I knew I could do it. I'm glad they did that to us. To this day it doesn't bother me in the least and I credit that to that first time at such a young age. I doubt the BSA would allow anything like that today.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

carry a pistol

Too heavy. Bear spray works good. As an added benefit the assailant is conveniently marked with florescent orange paint. You also can have fun kicking the crap out of him while he is checking to see if he still has eyes.

Haven't carried either.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • milkman wrote:

The first time I slept alone in the woods was when I was 12 years old in the Boy Scouts. The Scoutmasters had us do it as an exercise to help quell our fear.
      On our weekend campouts through the summer at our base camp (which was behind the cemetery and added a level of fear itself) we would pitch our tent at a secondary camp about a half mile away. It was definitely a learning experience. Once done I knew I could do it. I'm glad they did that to us. To this day it doesn't bother me in the least and I credit that to that first time at such a young age. I doubt the BSA would allow anything like that today.

Yea we did that - without tents in OA - they picked the peak night of the pleiades meteor shower the night was lit up like crazy.... good memories. (they still do that)
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

milkman wrote:

The first time I slept alone in the woods was when I was 12 years old in the Boy Scouts. The Scoutmasters had us do it as an exercise to help quell our fear.

Yea we did that - without tents in OA - they picked the peak night of the pleiades meteor shower the night was lit up like crazy.... good memories. (they still do that)

I'm not a feminist but it pisses me off that boys get taught this stuff and girls don't, at least when I was growing up. Have you ever played the game, "If you were stranded on a desert island, what book would you want?" I always say, "Boy Scout Handbook."
    • TrafficJam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

milkman wrote:

I'm not a feminist but it pisses me off that boys get taught this stuff and girls don't, at least when I was growing up. Have you ever played the game, "If you were stranded on a desert island, what book would you want?" I always say, "Boy Scout Handbook."

My step daughter feels the same way!!!! There is a woman in the neighboring town (on the TOS) that takes girl scouts backpacking. Overload and her daughter are going to hook-up with her this year!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • LoboSolo wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

carry a pistol

Too heavy.
      BS. less than a pound

It was intended as tongue in cheek. I have a reputation I am trying to build. Everything is too heavy for a gram weenie.

If I was to carry, it would be my NAA-22MC-HG. 8.1 oz loaded with .22 Magnum.
    • Re:Re: Solo hiking

TrafficJam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

milkman wrote:

My two daughters were in girl scouts. The one thing I came away with after seeing girl scouts in action was that it's definitely not boy scouts. It's kind of sad but it's being run too often like junior Avon.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Solo hiking

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

milkman wrote:

My two daughters were in girl scouts. The one thing I came away with after seeing girl scouts in action was that it's definitely not boy scouts. It's kind of sad but it's being run too often like junior Avon.

I took my oldest daughter out of Girl Scouts and didn't take the youngest. Both love backpacking and one's a climber. My son has no interest, go figure.

CoachLou wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

milkman wrote:

My step daughter feels the same way!!!! There is a woman in the neighboring town (on the TOS) that takes girl scouts backpacking. Overload and her daughter are going to hook-up with her this year!

That's awesome! I'm sure you've taught her a lot too.

I know I'm safer in the woods. I've tried to find the stats on violence along the AT and it's impossible. You'd have to get that info at each local county/town. Knowing the stats gives me something rational to focus on.

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

milkman wrote:

I took my oldest daughter out of Girl Scouts and didn't take the youngest. Both love backpacking and one's a climber. My son has no interest, go figure.

Sounds like my family.

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

milkman wrote:

Sounds like my family.

Great pic!

TrafficJam wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

Ruger LCR 38 special 13.50 ounces

Actually, I have a 38 special and a Ruger, no lie. I'm not skilled and the chances are high I'd get it taken away and used on me.

Okay, I lied. It's a Glock, not a Ruger. It's been a long time since I've played with guns.

The 38 weighs 21.6 oz without bullets. I guess they're making them lighter now?
    • Solo hiking

https://www.google.com/search?q=LCR+photo&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS549US549&espv=210&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&imgil=A8oCq-LbkpNwKM%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcRe9lbCB6DyCUsFUnS5NkN5XUWkM4fAkNGw82ocDR1Uu5ydmm76%253B475%253B352%253Br6M4Vv4EuGrQmM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.ruger.com%25252Fproducts%25252Flcr%25252FspecSheets%25252F5410.html&source=iu&usg=__NfCZbm1WmMlfOPNivGOpI0Yu308%3D&sa=X&ei=pBQzU6XmDKHayAGXloHACQ&ved=0CDYQ9QEwBg#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=A8oCq-LbkpNwKM%253A%3Br6M4Vv4EuGrQmM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ruger.com%252Fproducts%252Flcr%252Fimages%252F5410.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ruger.com%252Fproducts%252Flcr%252FspecSheets%252F5410.html%3B475%3B352
    • Solo hiking

milkman wrote:

Unfortunately you are correct about BSA not being to do anything like that anymore. Its a different day and age we live in now.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Re:Re: Solo hiking

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

milkman wrote:

Yeah, but I have to admit their cookies taste a lot better than our popcorn.
    • Solo hiking

CoachLou wrote:

I have no tips, I don't think there are any tricks. It is an experience level. I have been doing this since I was 10, I studied at Parris Island, I have hiked and fished all thru Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. I like hooking up with the folks I've meet on these sites over the last few years, but I'm finding that I enjoy the solo trips just as well. And I know that the forest is soooo much safer than the streets of New Haven or New York......even the banjoes playing in the distance!!! And I'm way too tired at the end of the day to have any trouble falling asleep.

I am with Coach on the falling asleep. I am always so tired at the end of the day that others do not seem to bother me.
    • Solo hiking

Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

I have no tips, I don't think there are any tricks. It is an experience level. I have been doing this since I was 10, I studied at Parris Island, I have hiked and fished all thru Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. I like hooking up with the folks I've meet on these sites over the last few years, but I'm finding that I enjoy the solo trips just as well. And I know that the forest is soooo much safer than the streets of New Haven or New York......even the banjoes playing in the distance!!! And I'm way too tired at the end of the day to have any trouble falling asleep.

I am with Coach on the falling asleep. I am always so tired at the end of the day that others do not seem to bother me.

That'll be my new strategy. I'll just make myself exhausted so I can sleep.

People were talking about meds. I can't take Benadryl. I took it for too many years when i worked night shift and now it makes me restless. Normally I take a few Ibuprofen and have some sips of whatever alcohol I brought.

BirdBrain wrote:

Sounds like my family.

Nice pic! Is it recent? How old is your daughter? Your family reminds me of mine: I've gone hiking with my daughter a bunch of times. I sent her to a summer camp once where she had an opportunity to take a longish hike/paddle. Her guide was atrocious, and she was miserable for a lot of the trip. It took me three years to convince her to come with me backpacking again. Turns out she loved it when she was with someone who was doing it all wrong. :)

[IMG:https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7235/6936697482_125786ea8f.jpg]
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

AnotherKevin wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Sounds like my family.

Nice pic! Is it recent? How old is your daughter? Your family reminds me of mine: I've gone hiking with my daughter a bunch of times. (I sent her to a summer camp once where she had an opportunity to take a longish hike/paddle. Her guide was atrocious, and she was miserable for a lot of the trip. It took me three years to convince her to come with me backpacking again. Turns out she loved it when she was with someone who was doing it all wrong. :)

About 10 years old. She is about 14 there and I was days from 43. Hair turns early in our family. My sweetheart was always my most willing hiking and fishing partner. She is a lady, but a Maine lady.

AnotherKevin wrote:

Post above edited with a pic of my daughter. She's 20 now. That picture is about three years old. As you see, I'm an old greybeard myself. :)

Daughters are great. I begged and pleaded for my daughter to go backpacking a few years ago. I resorted to underhanded tactics and promised she would meet cute boys (I'm a bad mom). She gave in and indeed met cute boys, now she's hooked.