Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

TOPO Ultraventure

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• TOPO Ultraventure

Mountain Crossings made this post recently in FB:

"TOPO trail runners are easily becoming our most popular shoe. We filled in more colors for the TOPO Ultraventure 3 for men’s and women’s trail runners. Come grab some new shoes today!"

Never heard of em, so I took a quick look. They have a vibram sole which I am partial to for a variety of reasons. REI also carries them.

My guess is that Hoka Speedgoats are still one of the most popular trail runners. They also have a vibram sole, but a knock against them is that they (the shoe not the sole) seem to wear out sooner than others.

Doing primarily shorter hikes in Georgia I use trail runners that I get at the outlook mall. I would check these out when that changes.

Anecdotal observation -- A see a lot of walkers at the soccer field track and at the gym track weating Hokas. These people do not look like hikers. :) I wonder if these shoes are a fad?

Pic:

scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v…Yxpzo6yHr0srg&oe=66482D6B
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• I recently bought myself a new pair of hiking shoes to break-in for our up coming LASH of the AT. I got a pair of Oboz Sawtooth, I've been using that shoe for years and I don't think I've ever had a blister with them. But boy, they sure are getting expensive, $165 at my local REI for the "waterproof" version. If they had had my size in non-waterproof I would have gotten that, but they didn't.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

I’ll ask my son about the TOPO, see what he thinks. He’s a shoe expert.

Is your question about the fad referring to the Hoka’s? Hokas are great and the majority of nurses that I work with wear them. They are very comfortable and supportive.
      Yes, I was talking about the Hokas. Just noticed quite a few people wearing them while walking who really don't appear to need a $150ish shoe. I understand they are comfortable which is why hikers seem to like them.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Mountain Crossings made this post recently in FB:

"TOPO trail runners are easily becoming our most popular shoe. We filled in more colors for the TOPO Ultraventure 3 for men’s and women’s trail runners. Come grab some new shoes today!"

Never heard of em, so I took a quick look. They have a vibram sole which I am partial to for a variety of treasons. REI also carries them.

My guess is that Hoka Speedgoats are still one of the most popular trail runners. They also have a vibram sole, but a knock against them is that they (the shoe not the sole) seem to wear out sooner than others.

Doing primarily shorter hikes in Georgia I use trail runners that I get at the outlook mall. I would check these out when that changes.

Anecdotal observation -- A see a lot of walkers at the soccer field track and at the gym track weating Hokas. These people do not look like hikers. :) I wonder if these shoes are a fad?

Pic:

scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v…Yxpzo6yHr0srg&oe=66482D6B
      FWIW, multiple people in my family own Hoka's, but I do not. None of them are hikers, but I like to think I am. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • According to the most recent survey of AT long distance hikers by The Trek

thetrek.co/appalachian-trail/t…l-2023-thru-hiker-survey/

Altra is the most popular brand by a wide margin, with as many users as the next three brands combined (#2=Hoka, #3=Topo, #4=Brooks).

I had Altras, but didn't like them due to lack of lateral stability. When replacing them I tried on Hoka but didn't like the thick soles. I want to be able to feel the trail. I have been using Brooks for a few years.

But I also use my Oboz Sawtooths sometimes. They are my favorite hiking shoe. I started with Merrill Moab and then Keen, but switched to Oboz as the others had durability issues. But I've always had the non waterproof version, low top versions.