Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Acadia NP

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Traffic Jam wrote:

Hello friends! Please tell me about Acadia NP. What is it like in early October? Are there any must-see landmarks?

If you only had one day to hike in Acadia in early October, where would you go?

Any other advice about traveling in Maine is appreciated!
      Never been to Acadia, but would like to.

Have driven hundreds of miles in Maine, be sure to watch out for the moose.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• Acadia National Park is very popular and early October is insane with all the 'leaf peepers'. I would start making reservations right now if you want to go to Maine in October of 2024. Really.

There is a range of hiking opportunities there, from road walks to challenging (think rebar ladders up rock ledges). Most trails are just a few miles, so perfect for day hikes. But the weather could be anything in October, from
      gorgeous to hypothermic.

The coast of Maine is beautiful with lots of quaint costal towns. There is plenty to see outside of Acadia. Rockport and Camden (along with Bar Harbor) are popular tourist towns that are being loved to death. I would recommend at least trying to hit them midweek, but everything seems to be busy now (and foliage season will be insane). North of Bar Harbor the crowd thins out a bit. You can drive north to Lubec Maine on the Canadian Border in another 2 - 3 hours.

BTW, Baxter State Park is also about 3 hours away and the foliage there should be peak the first week of October.

If you are planning on driving up the coast of Maine (Rt. 1) do not underestimate how long it will take. Lots of miles, lots of small towns, and lots of traffic. That said, it is worth it. Maine is great. Take some of the Route 1A loops closer to the coast along the way. If your goal is just to get to Bar Harbor, take the Maine Turnpike as far as you can.

If you want to see what Maine was like twenty years ago, go to Nova Scotia. That is great too.

Let me know if you need a place to stay near Boston on your way.

Scott
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • I worked my azz off last week to pay for this trip…3 extra work days! And then got scammed out of $1000+ on VRBO on a fake beach rental. Ugh!!!

Why are people so $hitty? The money is being refunded… eventually… but it still breaks my heart and creates a lot of inconvenience.

Anyway… Scotty thanks for the advice. I’m definitely a wait and see person so if it looks like going to Acadia will be too crazy and crowded, I’ll skip it and find someplace else to hike. Thanks for the invite for Boston but I’m flying straight into Portland…wanted Bangor but it was too expensive.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TJ,
      Portland is a fun, young city with a great dining and craft beer scene. Hope you can spend a night or two there too.
      A beach place still available around Acadia for Fall foliage season is already suspect. Some people are terrible. I hope you get your money back soon.

Heading north from Portland traffic is often especially bad on Rt. 1 in Freeport (home of LL Bean and many 'outlet stores.') Rt. 295 can avoid the worst of it, but you do want to take Rt. 1 after Freeport through old shipbuilding towns like Wiscasset. Don't think of this part of Maine as something you have to drive through. It is a worthy destination. I could easilly spend a week on a drive from Portland to Acadia :)

Boothbay Harbor is worth a detour. Lots of pretty inlets and fishing scenery on the docks. But if you are doing this in a day, not enough time.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • One more thought TJ, if the government shuts down they could close Acadia NP (they did last time). I believe there are parts of the park and trails you could still access. I would not let this possibility stop me from taking the trip because you have plenty to see outside of Acadia too.

S

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

...Boothbay Harbor is worth a detour. Lots of pretty inlets and fishing scenery on the docks. But if you are doing this in a day, not enough time.
      Yep. Back in the 80's, my former B-I-L was the head chef at the Boothbay Harbor Inn and my sister was the chef for all things baked. Sipping coffee on the deck outside of my room, watching the boats in the harbor, was so peaceful that I have a re-visit on my retirement trip list.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • IMScotty wrote:

TJ,
      Portland is a fun, young city with a great dining and craft beer scene. Hope you can spend a night or two there too.
      A beach place still available around Acadia for Fall foliage season is already suspect. Some people are terrible. I hope you get your money back soon.

Heading north from Portland traffic is often especially bad on Rt. 1 in Freeport (home of LL Bean and many 'outlet stores.') Rt. 295 can avoid the worst of it, but you do want to take Rt. 1 after Freeport through old shipbuilding towns like Wiscasset. Don't think of this part of Maine as something you have to drive through. It is a worthy destination. I could easilly spend a week on a drive from Portland to Acadia :)

Boothbay Harbor is worth a detour. Lots of pretty inlets and fishing scenery on the docks. But if you are doing this in a day, not enough time.
      thank you, this was really helpful! I’m back and had a great time but didn’t have time to do more than a quick peek and short walk at Acadia which was a little disappointing.

But I got to see beautiful Maine which has been on my bucket list for a long time…and I ate delicious food and drank fantastic beer.
      Lost in the right direction.