Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Going Gluten Free

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Going Gluten Free

As most of you know, I've suffered on and off for years from abdominal pain and this summer they determined my gallbladder was basically nonfunctioning so they removed it. I still had weird pains on and off. They attributed to "referred pain". Well last week they decided to run some more blood work and test for different stuff including food allergies. So guess what? I'm allergic to gluten. In just four days of being gluten free my gut is so much better- who knew??? So no wheat, barley, rye, cous cous, malt, brewer's yeast, farina, etc. So no beer unless I can find one made with rice and no brewer's yeast :-(. So this will make resupplying on the trail a little more tricky.
      2020 just keeps on giving.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

As most of you know, I've suffered on and off for years from abdominal pain and this summer they determined my gallbladder was basically nonfunctioning so they removed it. I still had weird pains on and off. They attributed to "referred pain". Well last week they decided to run some more blood work and test for different stuff including food allergies. So guess what? I'm allergic to gluten. In just four days of being gluten free my gut is so much better- who knew??? So no wheat, barley, rye, cous cous, malt, brewer's yeast, farina, etc. So no beer unless I can find one made with rice and no brewer's yeast :-(. So this will make resupplying on the trail a little more tricky.
      2020 just keeps on giving.
      My first thought was great they figured it out. My second thought was wow that will make resupply tougher for you. If just doing LASHes, maildrops work. Personally made over 2,000 miles on the AT that way.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • odd man out wrote:

So is an allergy or Celiac's? I'm not familiar with gluten allergy. Also, I'm confused by the brewer's yeast. Not sure why that would have gluten. There are GF beer made with sorghum or other grains.
      I guess it's both. They tell me my blood work says I have Celiac disease, that it's an autoimmune response by my body to gluten.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

So is an allergy or Celiac's? I'm not familiar with gluten allergy. Also, I'm confused by the brewer's yeast. Not sure why that would have gluten. There are GF beer made with sorghum or other grains.
      I guess it's both. They tell me my blood work says I have Celiac disease, that it's an autoimmune response by my body to gluten.
      I guess I think of autoimmune response and allergy as different things. One of the unfortunate things is that it has become trendy for people to go "gluten free" thinking it is good for them, even if they don't have Celiac's. This is a problem since a lot of restaurants have gluten free menu items to cater to this crowd but don't take the steps necessary to make it really gluten free. The smallest trace of gluten is problematic for people with Celiac's and the mass marketing of gluten free food that really isn't is a disservice to those who really need it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by odd man out ().