Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

gear repair and fixins

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• gear repair and fixins

Do you repair your gear, alter it, maybe a quick fix.

here's my fix for a cheap trekking pole that I just didn't wanna pitch (shit can) cause I like it, it was cheap...and so am I.
      on my last outing my trek pole locked up tight and would no longer adjust, which would have been fine , but it locked up in a shorter setting that I don't use. When I got home it unfroze and became functional again...but is now out of my circle of trust....thusly.

...I bought a couple small cotter/clevis/"what cha ma call it's" from the big Orange box. With downward load it should work fine, and the holes I drilled are very small so I'm hoping it won't affect the inherent stability though it likely did create a weak spot...just gotta be careful not to load it unduly.

fatal five's....picture in gallery under trek pole repair
    • gear repair and fixins

rocksNsocks wrote:

here's my fix for a cheap trekking pole that I just didn't wanna pitch (**** can) cause I like it, it was cheap...and so am I.
      on my last outing my trek pole locked up tight and would no longer adjust, which would have been fine , but it locked up in a shorter setting that I don't use. When I got home it unfroze and became functional again...but is now out of my circle of trust....thusly.

...I bought a couple small cotter/clevis/"what cha ma call it's" from the big Orange box. With downward load it should work fine, and the holes I drilled are very small so I'm hoping it won't affect the inherent stability though it likely did create a weak spot...just gotta be careful not to load it unduly.

Left nasty and gratuitous criticism in picture gallery about said fix. :evil:
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • gear repair and fixins

BirdBrain wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

here's my fix for a cheap trekking pole that I just didn't wanna pitch (**** can) cause I like it, it was cheap...and so am I.

both very good guesses...but, no other holes...perhaps it's that time again. :whistle:

• gear repair and fixins

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

both very good guesses...but, no other holes...perhaps it's that time again. :whistle:

Well that backfired. :blush: And I was so proud of myself. That scratch above the fix looked like a hole at first glance.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • gear repair and fixins

BirdBrain wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Well that backfired. :blush: And I was so proud of myself. That scratch above the fix looked like a hole at first glance.
      I could see how that would look like that...I did a double take too, but knew I didn't drill any other holes, then thought man there was a hole there I could have used....it's the lighting.