Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiker Rescues and Fatalities

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• OMO, let us know what you think of this book.

The Chris Sylvia case is the one I think most likely to be something sinister.
      On my hike through that section I decided that 'Mike's Place' just wasn't my scene (drugs and they just wanted the cute young things to stay anyway). I moved on and camped next to a dirt track just a little bit north. I had an uncomfortable feeling all night, and random cars driving on that dirt track in the middle of the night stopping, turning off their lights and just sitting there in the desert did not help that feeling. Luckily, I was camped behind some brush, but I was still feeling a little exposed. I found out later that this was near where Chris Sylvia's pack was found. I do believe he ran into someone there who did him harm.

The disappearance of the Irish guy is a sad story too. He may have been lost somewhere up there on San Jacinto, but I have heard of enough disappearances of other people around Idyllwild (non-hikers) to make me wonder if there is a connection to them all.

Of the three PCT hiker disappearances, I think the Kris Fowler case is the one most likely to have been a more natural event (lost in the snow). His family has been tireless in trying to find him (and helping other hikers). I hope for their sake they find his remains someday.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Helicopter rides ain't cheap.

I did not know Garman offered 'rescue insurance.' Seems pretty risky on their end since so many Yahoos think pushing that button calls a concierge service. I am pretty sure they will cover expenses in Dixie's case. They would be foolish not to with all her followers.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • She set up a GoFundME page for medical expenses. She said she got more $ than she asked for, but it worked out as her expenses were more than she estimated.

So being curious...

She asked for $12,000 and got $15,743.

She had started a health insurance policy that became effective 4 days after the the resucue so no help there,

The policy from Garmin covered $50,000. She increased that to $100,000 in case she ever needs it again.

Assuming the policy from Garmin comes thru she should end up pretty close to breaking even financially with the GoFundMe money. Right now she a few dollars ahead.

This follow up video was posted a month ago. Maybe theres a follow up to the follow up?

Oh, and to the disppointment of half of her followers...she's married now. :)
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• I'm a bit lost. Well, I didn't know Garmin offered SAR insurance. I just got on the Garmin site but they only show two plans. SAR100 covers up to $100,000. Their other plan is "high risk" and covers "other high risk activities", which I've not researched includes WHAT (Sky diving?, hurt at 28,500 feet on Everest?). So was her $50,000 plan an older plan grandfathered in and no longer offered?

Found my answer in their FAQ's. $50,000 was an older policy, not sold now.

Found Climbing above 5000 M is High Risk (HR), so is sky diving, base jumping, Free Climbing, all sorts of stuff. Hiking is not listed as HR.

$39.99 a year. Is that a fair price? Seems very reasonable.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork

The post was edited 1 time, last by rhjanes ().

• She rounded in her video. There is a copy of the bill on her GoFundMe page. It was actually "only" $59,973. :)

Maybe a $50,000 policy doesn't cut it any more because of inflation. Facing an unexpected $10,000 balance due after insurance due immediately would be a stretch for many.
      2,000 miler
    • LIhikers wrote:

I know that helicopters, and their operation, are expensive but $ 60,000 is crazy. That's what happens when there's no competion and when the 'customers' seemingly don't have a choice.
      I suspect this is a Medical Evac helicopter, plus a few paramedics on the ground, plus an ER nurse on the ride, plus.......
    • rhjanes wrote:

I'm a bit lost. Well, I didn't know Garmin offered SAR insurance. I just got on the Garmin site but they only show two plans. SAR100 covers up to $100,000. Their other plan is "high risk" and covers "other high risk activities", which I've not researched includes WHAT (Sky diving?, hurt at 28,500 feet on Everest?). So was her $50,000 plan an older plan grandfathered in and no longer offered?
      Timely, as I just received an invoice for the next year of SAR 50 coverage through Garmin. The policy used to be offered by another company but Garmin picked it up a few years ago. $29.95 per year for up to $50,000 for ONE claim. That's the definition of cheap insurance if I need backcountry rescue. Maybe the SAR 50 is an older plan. ?(
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • I'm stewing a bit on the "My new health insurance policy doesn't start for another four days" comment in the video. Just went through that with my son. He quit his job before his wedding, and started a new job after his honeymoon. I stressed the importance of obtaining COBRA coverage when he left his old job and he assured me that he did. A month ago, he admitted that he gambled and went without insurance for ~two months. :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

"What's the worst thing that can happen?"
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

I'm stewing a bit on the "My new health insurance policy doesn't start for another four days" comment in the video. Just went through that with my son. He quit his job before his wedding, and started a new job after his honeymoon. I stressed the importance of obtaining COBRA coverage when he left his old job and he assured me that he did. A month ago, he admitted that he gambled and went without insurance for ~two months. :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

"What's the worst thing that can happen?"
      No doubt Father knows best, but sometimes we wish we didn’t.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • rhjanes wrote:

...Found Climbing above 5000 M is High Risk (HR), so is sky diving, base jumping, Free Climbing, all sorts of stuff. Hiking is not listed as HR.

$39.99 a year. Is that a fair price? Seems very reasonable.
      I've researched this before but didn't know about the Garmin plan. For comparison, some adventure world travelers use Global Rescue, which is not insurance but an actual rescue company. You get injured, you call them, they come get you, anywhere, any time. No fee, no claims. A basic annual policy is for whole year is $700, but half that if taking shorter trips.

You could also get basic trip insurance, but read carefully. Some policies define emergency Evacuation as taking you from one hospital to another, rather than field evacuation. Curiously, World Nomads, the most widely recommended by outdoor enthusiasts, has this bad limitation. Most require advance approval by a doctor and the insurer, but some give an exception if circumstances prevent this. I found a basic AIG policy that would be good for a thru hike for $160 with favorable terms and $150,000 in Evacuation coverage, plus lots of other travel insurance perks that are of limited use to a hiker, unless flying to a trail head or renting a car, although some of the basic medical/dental coverage could be useful. Most policies I've seen cover hiking with exclusions or extra fees for high altitude or high risk. Note mountain climbing exclusions only apply to Climbing with special equipment (ropes, harness, belay, etc...)
    • Thanks for that research. The $700 is double the current Garmin costs. Garmin also says you must use one of their devices (they have a list of which devices) to initiate and complete the rescue. I think that means they notify and work with the locals on just where you are and the expected injuries and such. Sounds like the Garmin plan is a good deal if hiking around the US and Canada. Also there is a list of countries they do NOT offer service in. North Korea, Iraq and some other places.
    • As we are discussing helicopter rescue and insurance, it made me think of a scam that was taking place in Nepal recently. Guides leading commercial trekking groups into the Himalayas would plan an itinerary that would be almost guaranteed to give most people altitude sickness (headaches, nausea). As soon as the clients have a symptom, the guide tells them they need to be rescued. A helicopter comes and takes them to a hospital in Kathmandu where they do a bunch of tests and hold them for observations. Then they bill the trekkers insurance company for the rescue, helicopter transportation, hospital stay, and medical tests. The guide, trekking company, helicopter pilots, and hospitals are all in on the scam, over charge the insurance company, and share the profits. The reality is that if you ascend gradually following the standard itineraries, you probably won't get altitude symptoms, and even if you do, all you need to do is stop ascending or go down a little until you acclimate. But these companies advertise really short trips for low costs to attract clueless turons in a hurry who don't know any better. It got to the point that some insurance companies stopped covering rescues in Nepal.
    • A different kind of search (and hopefully) rescue...

Ark the Emu ran away and is missing. Spotted yesterday by a trail runner where the AT (mile 12) intersects Cooper Gap Rd at (duh) Cooper Gap. Also spotted on Cooper Gap Rd by a UPS driver. Owner is asking anyone hiking in the area to keep their eyes open.

ETA: Ark was found and is headed home.
      2,000 miler

• odd man out wrote:

As we are discussing helicopter rescue and insurance, it made me think of a scam that was taking place in Nepal recently. Guides leading commercial trekking groups into the Himalayas would plan an itinerary that would be almost guaranteed to give most people altitude sickness (headaches, nausea). As soon as the clients have a symptom, the guide tells them they need to be rescued. A helicopter comes and takes them to a hospital in Kathmandu where they do a bunch of tests and hold them for observations. Then they bill the trekkers insurance company for the rescue, helicopter transportation, hospital stay, and medical tests. The guide, trekking company, helicopter pilots, and hospitals are all in on the scam, over charge the insurance company, and share the profits. The reality is that if you ascend gradually following the standard itineraries, you probably won't get altitude symptoms, and even if you do, all you need to do is stop ascending or go down a little until you acclimate. But these companies advertise really short trips for low costs to attract clueless turons in a hurry who don't know any better. It got to the point that some insurance companies stopped covering rescues in Nepal.
      Very interesting.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

A local mystery...

boston.com/news/crime/2022/04/…king-trail/?p1=hp_primary

This is Concord, NH. Just a local walking trail. Defiantly an anomaly for the area. When I first heard this I thought it had to be a murder/ suicide situation. Apparently not.
      This sad story finally has a conclusion...

boston.com/news/local-news/202…trail/?p1=hp_featurestack

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Triple Crowner dies in the White Mountains...

boston.com/news/local-news/202…ns/?p1=recirc_mostpopular
      :( Just sad. At least his two partners turned around and didn't suffer the same fate.

• StalkingTortoise wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

:( Just sad. At least his two partners turned around and didn't suffer the same fate.
      Quote from his mother "And he was never really a turning-back kind of kid.”

:(

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Quote from his mother "And he was never really a turning-back kind of kid.”
      :(
      At some point we all have to learn and respect our limitations (otherwise it will not matter anymore).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • He offered a guided thru hike of the AT for $90,000. Or the Long Trail for $20,000.

If that is too pricey he also offered 2 daily 4 hour day hikes to Mt. Pemigewasset in the Whites for $100 a person. Get 3 of your friends to tag along and the price dropped to $90 each. (That's "base price" so maybe he also sold snacks and/or rented gear.)

northeasttrekkingcompany.com/appointments-1
      2,000 miler

• rhjanes wrote:

That hiker made poor choices followed by more poor choices and then some more. Could he be subject to a rescue bill?
      From the tone of the article, I assume that is coming next.

Wonder how much it costs to send two whole Cog Railway Trains up the mountain for one person?

John Greenleaf Whittier