Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Article ideas for new hiker blog

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Article ideas for new hiker blog

Hey y'all! I'm looking for topics for articles to include my blog, particularly topics that a new and/or female hiker may have before setting off on a thru-hike. Can you throw out some article ideas?
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • I wrote one on water treatment to start. :)
      appalachiantrailclarity.wordpress.com/

If I ever land a damn job, I'd like to pay for the website so I can make it more user friendly and have more template options. Having fun with it so far though!

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • socks wrote:

Hygiene seems a often asked question.
      Agreed.
      Hiker Funk should be honestly discussed.
      Tell it warts and all.
      Too many blogs, journals and books omit the daily grind. They tell the uplifting or intensely personal but they never give any sense of the average day. I find that it is the way you find yourself walking 15 miles without any stress that is a wonder to me. Because there is no stress it rarely gets more than a sentence or two of mention. I find you become an automaton of sorts. When I came down out of the Smokies I was in a "zone". I must have been doing closer to 6mph than 5mph.
      I was superhiker. Then at the bottom after passing under I40 I was spent. Completely and utterly spent. I collapsed and lay down for about 20 minutes before reaching Standing Bear Hostel.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • How about an article on sex on the trail?
      Has anyone written a factual, accurate piece?
      I want to know age demographics, relationship between those who are intimate, and the long term outcome compared and contrasted with today's social norms. :D

Hey, that would make a good dissertation for a sociologist.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

How about an article on sex on the trail?
      I want to know age demographics, relationship between those who are intimate, and the long term outcome compared and contrasted with today's social norms. :D

Research conducted in the style of Masters and Johnson.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Let me suggest you take this in a different direction.
      How about making successive blog posts covering broad concepts that are then supported by specific ideas and actions.
      Then in the end string them all together in some kind of logical order, add some photos and drawings, and you'll have a book.
      Sign me up for a autographed copy. :!:
    • Crazy as this may sound, were it me I'd want to include the choice and possible detriment of coming online and researching the trail as opposed to just going to the library and looking through some old books and maps, as the wonder and allure of the trail can quickly become lost in the miles and mountains of sites and fourms of often over zealous opinionated assholes and with no turning back once Pandora's box is opened...just a thought. I know you'd handle this topic more tactfully than I. ;)
    • When planning to do the AT I joined Whiteblaze and lurked. I learnt pretty much everything I needed to. Then I decided to actually start chatting and getting to know a few people in the hope that I might know some people I might meet. At almost exactly the same time HB opened the cafe and the rest is history.
      In hindsight getting known online was the best and worst thing that I could have done.
      I have friends for life and feel part of an online but still real world community.
      But when I was doing it tough mentally I certainly felt there were a few that kicked me while I was down.

My recommendation:
      At the very least lurk and learn.
      Once your hike starts keep the online stuff restricted to friends.
      I still love coming in here and shooting the breeze because this place is mostly very friendly (considering I support the Pats especially), and I still recommend TOS for the knowledge there, but I keep the more emotional stuff to Facebook where I can shut negative people out. I find Facebook has a lot of usability for a hiker and wished I had switched my online presence to it when I got to Amicalola.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Whenever I get asked how it is to be married for so long by guys getting married or contemplating marriage for the first time I always tell them the same thing; "the years fly by, but the days can last forever".

I think if you take the above quote and apply it to your hike you will find that it is eerily similar. There is, in my mind, a great story to told by combing the two time frames into one. Use the "I can't believe I'm in so and so town already/so and so state already/finished with my hike already" to assuage the fears you create by explaining the physical and mental taxation that can be brought on by some of the days encountered along the way. Rough sections of trail, rough periods of weather, nagging injuries, monotonous foodstuffs, boredom, they all take a toll.

I don't know that I've ever read a book or blog post that took this approach and I think it will be well received.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Let me suggest you take this in a different direction.
      How about making successive blog posts covering broad concepts that are then supported by specific ideas and actions.
      Then in the end string them all together in some kind of logical order, add some photos and drawings, and you'll have a book.
      Can you give me an example? It may be that it's too early on the morning of my grandma's funeral, but I can't quite comprehend what you're suggesting. Sounds intriguing.

• Foresight wrote:

Whenever I get asked how it is to be married for so long by guys getting married or contemplating marriage for the first time I always tell them the same thing; "the years fly by, but the days can last forever".

I think if you take the above quote and apply it to your hike you will find that it is eerily similar. There is, in my mind, a great story to told by combing the two time frames into one. Use the "I can't believe I'm in so and so town already/so and so state already/finished with my hike already" to assuage the fears you create by explaining the physical and mental taxation that can be brought on by some of the days encountered along the way. Rough sections of trail, rough periods of weather, nagging injuries, monotonous foodstuffs, boredom, they all take a toll.

I don't know that I've ever read a book or blog post that took this approach and I think it will be well received.
      What a GREAT idea! Wow, that has potential to be fun writing! Thanks!

• OzJacko wrote:

When planning to do the AT I joined Whiteblaze and lurked. I learnt pretty much everything I needed to. Then I decided to actually start chatting and getting to know a few people in the hope that I might know some people I might meet. At almost exactly the same time HB opened the cafe and the rest is history.
      In hindsight getting known online was the best and worst thing that I could have done.
      I have friends for life and feel part of an online but still real world community.
      But when I was doing it tough mentally I certainly felt there were a few that kicked me while I was down.

My recommendation:
      At the very least lurk and learn.
      Once your hike starts keep the online stuff restricted to friends.
      I still love coming in here and shooting the breeze because this place is mostly very friendly (considering I support the Pats especially), and I still recommend TOS for the knowledge there, but I keep the more emotional stuff to Facebook where I can shut negative people out. I find Facebook has a lot of usability for a hiker and wished I had switched my online presence to it when I got to Amicalola.
      Interesting observation.

As I don't have a FB account...and don't plan to, I've limited sharing thoughts and perspectives primarily to emails to friends and to a limited degree this site. I visit TOS on rare occasion but AT background was gained on limited section hikes accomplished and this site. However as you've noticed, emails are passé and FB is now the standard.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

How about an article on sex on the trail?

Research conducted in the style of Masters and Johnson.
      Zip - feel free TJ, The good the bad and the omgosh.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • twistwrist wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Can you give me an example? It may be that it's too early on the morning of my grandma's funeral, but I can't quite comprehend what you're suggesting. Sounds intriguing.
      Maybe things like what motivates a person to give up a job, and or career, for a 6 month hike.
      Or, how to explain to your family why you want to walk away from your current life to see where you wind up.
      How to deal with the uncertainty of going on a long hike is another topic that could go in may directions.
      And of course put in personal details from your personal hike.
    • I'd address the biggest obstacle to finishing...the mental aspect, what makes you want to quit and what makes you keep going, how can one go to sleep at night so tired and hurting they can hardly get into a sleeping bag and wake up the next morning on a high no drug can give you. I believe the biggest detriment to most who quit is that they think about hiking 2100 miles too much instead of making the next camp site...you don't have to hike 2100 miles, you just have to take the next step.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • LIhikers wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Maybe things like what motivates a person to give up a job, and or career, for a 6 month hike.Or, how to explain to your family why you want to walk away from your current life to see where you wind up.
      How to deal with the uncertainty of going on a long hike is another topic that could go in may directions.
      I like comparing the motivation for starting a multi month hike such as the AT with the urge early settlers had to embark upon a journey into the vast unknown. Human migration has occurred from the beginning of written history of nearly all cultures.

Modern folks no longer have an empty continent to explore. Therefore the AT is an opportunity for folks to test endurance and fortitude.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC