Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

maine sobo

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• OzJacko wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

What's to plan?
      Pick a start point and walk. Sometime before you're due back at work you walk to a road.
      :)
      yeah but i got new maps!!
      I consider maps essential for a true Vague Blaze as it gives you many options to follow but for a follower of the White Blaze you only need a map to help you get on and off the trail.
      these maps are the most detailed to date, and show every logging road, every trail. they even have elevation profiles(which i've learned to ignore).
      its all good
    • okay, so it looks like i'll be starting with violet on oct 4th from abol bridge.i'll be out for two weeks, violet for 9 days. my "plan" is to hike to stratton,over the bigelows but this hike is not about the miles ,its about the smiles.we'll take our time thru the 100 mile, with a food drop planned for jo mary rd.
      tentatively, the plan is for us to meet in monson on sat 10/3,drop violets car at kiw rd near gulf hagas, and leave mine in monson, have shaw's shuttle us up to abol bridge. the rest of the plan is a bit murky. days are getting shorter, so im not planning any hi mileage days, we'll just take it a day at a time.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

okay, so it looks like i'll be starting with violet on oct 4th from abol bridge.i'll be out for two weeks, violet for 9 days. my "plan" is to hike to stratton,over the bigelows but this hike is not about the miles ,its about the smiles.we'll take our time thru the 100 mile, with a food drop planned for jo mary rd.
      tentatively, the plan is for us to meet in monson on sat 10/3,drop violets car at kiw rd near gulf hagas, and leave mine in monson, have shaw's shuttle us up to abol bridge. the rest of the plan is a bit murky. days are getting shorter, so im not planning any hi mileage days, we'll just take it a day at a time.
      Have a great time both of you.
      Smile108
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • We'll hike together some day, Hikerboy. Slo and I will be northbound from Rangeley or maybe Grafton Notch starting near the middle of this month. Like you -- taking it slow and easy. This is slow-going territory in any case. Days will be short, dark by 7 or 7:30. I'd like to make it to Monson.
    • i just hired 100 MILE WILDERNESS ADVENTURES AND OUTFITTERS for our trip.

we'll leave violet's car at kiw rd.,drive to monson, where i'll leave my car. ive got a private cabin fo us for saturday 10/3. phil will shuttle us to abol bridge the following morning and arrange a food drop for us at jo mary rd. cost for shuttle, cabin and resupply, $200 for both of us. not bad.
      its all good
    • Awesome. I think I will use him for resupplies (half way and at his place) in 2017.

I love the people and the humor around here, but it is the information that may be the best part. You can read stuff online or in a book, but it means more when it comes from people you know you can trust! :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

Awesome! The leaves will be amazing ! Take lots of pictures!

Or is it "leaf's"??
      i will take lots of pictures before i delete them all the last day of my hike.
      Excellent! Im so excited to not being able to see them!
      you should see the ones i deleted the last time after my maine section hike a few years ago.
      i had bought a new camera for the trip, and took a few hundred beautiful photos in the 100 mile. the last night, camping with coach lou at horn pond lean to, i was playing around with the settings and accidentally deleted all my pictures.i had pictures of sasquatch!!, clear as day, but no longer any proof he existed.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

Or is it "leaf's"??
      you should see the ones i deleted the last time after my maine section hike a few years ago.i had bought a new camera for the trip, and took a few hundred beautiful photos in the 100 mile. the last night, camping with coach lou at horn pond lean to, i was playing around with the settings and accidentally deleted all my pictures.i had pictures of sasquatch!!, clear as day, but no longer any proof he existed.
      There is actually a program that you can recover deleted pictures from the card. I ha used it once a few years ago and pretty much was able to recover a bunch of pictures I had hikerboyed!
      RIAP
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

Or is it "leaf's"??
      you should see the ones i deleted the last time after my maine section hike a few years ago.i had bought a new camera for the trip, and took a few hundred beautiful photos in the 100 mile. the last night, camping with coach lou at horn pond lean to, i was playing around with the settings and accidentally deleted all my pictures.i had pictures of sasquatch!!, clear as day, but no longer any proof he existed.
      There is actually a program that you can recover deleted pictures from the card. I ha used it once a few years ago and pretty much was able to recover a bunch of pictures I had hikerboyed!
      Cool, good to know.
    • socks wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

Or is it "leaf's"??
      Cool, good to know.
      It's important not to take more pics etc. If you write more data you destroy the old completely. Normal deleting doesn't delete the file, only the index to it.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

socks wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

Or is it "leaf's"??
      Cool, good to know.
      It's important not to take more pics etc. If you write more data you destroy the old completely. Normal deleting doesn't delete the file, only the index to it.
      thats right, and i immediately took pictures on the same card before i got home and found out oops i shouldnt have done that.
      its all good
    • I have several sd cards that fit my digital camera.

If your hike is going to take longer than a month, you might check your camera and see if it will save 'by month'. That way you have them in separate folders, harder to delete all of them at once.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • hikerboy wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

HB it's not fair , you are planning two trips! I am jealous. :thumbsup:
      well i still have the long trail and the jmt on my tick list....one of the best parts of being a lasher is always having another trip to look forward to.
      its also part of the reason i dont think i'll ever complete the at, although ive walked over 3000 miles on it.
      there's just too many other trails out there id rather walk than worrying about bland virginia to pa. ill get to them if and when i can.
      the at is special no doubt, like no other trail, but its no longer important to me to finish it.
      besides,its always nice having something left to do."finishing" seems so final.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

HB it's not fair , you are planning two trips! I am jealous. :thumbsup:
      well i still have the long trail and the jmt on my tick list....one of the best parts of being a lasher is always having another trip to look forward to.
      its also part of the reason i dont think i'll ever complete the at, although ive walked over 3000 miles on it.there's just too many other trails out there id rather walk than worrying about bland virginia to pa. ill get to them if and when i can.
      the at is special no doubt, like no other trail, but its no longer important to me to finish it.
      besides,its always nice having something left to do."finishing" seems so final.
      VA was fun. Now PA and all those rocks, now I can see why someone might want to pass on that.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • hikerboy wrote:

in less than two weeks ill be up in the 100 mile wilderness with violet.
      it'll be nice to get away for a while. this place needs some new trip reports. hopefully twistwrist will continue to bless us with her prose as she walks home.i'm getting tired of beer, football, and politics.
      I'd give a trip report as I'm leaving late tonight for Uwharrie but I already did one of those already. I hate living so far from the mountains. Four more years and that will change.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

in less than two weeks ill be up in the 100 mile wilderness with violet.
      it'll be nice to get away for a while. this place needs some new trip reports. hopefully twistwrist will continue to bless us with her prose as she walks home.i'm getting tired of beer, football, and politics.
      I'd give a trip report as I'm leaving late tonight for Uwharrie but I already did one of those already. I hate living so far from the mountains. Four more years and that will change.
      Yeah, mine are getting redundant so I probably won't do any for a while. My next trip has been reported on several times already .
      Personally, I'd love it if some of our quieter members would do a trip report. I'm really curious about other people's hikes.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • well, life just got a bit more interesting, as ive just been promoted to sales manager.i don't know how long this will last, as i dont think my boss is aware yet that im going to maine next month.i may cut the trip back to 9 or 10 days, but im not cancelling my plans, either for maine or for next years idaho trip.if he can live with that, i'll do the job, otherwise i'll just stay in sales.its not likely he'd let me go for 2-3 months next year, but i figure, a lot can happen between now and then and worst case, i could just quit.so if hes cool with the maine trip, i'll take the job until nexy summer.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

well, life just got a bit more interesting, as ive just been promoted to sales manager.i don't know how long this will last, as i dont think my boss is aware yet that im going to maine next month.i may cut the trip back to 9 or 10 days, but im not cancelling my plans, either for maine or for next years idaho trip.if he can live with that, i'll do the job, otherwise i'll just stay in sales.its not likely he'd let me go for 2-3 months next year, but i figure, a lot can happen between now and then and worst case, i could just quit.so if hes cool with the miane trip, i'll take the job until nexy summer.
      Hasn't he learned yet?