Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Health

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• JimBlue wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

anybody studied and have an opinion on taking apple cider vinegar daily?

if its good enough for earl shaffer... :)
      My children used to drink vinegar when they said something they shouldn't, but fortunately that was not daily.
      I was eating lots of vinegar soaked sliced cucumbers when I was a kid. Doctor told me to stop as it was drying my blood out.
      did your doctor get his license out of a cereal box?
      2,000 miler
    • No. I stopped and my health improved. I was also salting them heavily. So it could have been the salt. This was about 63 years ago. I remember him showing me some kind of blood test result and asking me what I ate. The vinegar and salted cucumber slices is the only thing he objected to.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

My children used to drink vinegar when they said something they shouldn't, but fortunately that was not daily.

Wish I had had your kids!

SandyofPA wrote:

I don't drink the stuff but I like it sprinkled on hash browns!
      And liberally (ohh that word hurts) pored over turnip greens, peas and beans.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Wish I had had your kids!

SandyofPA wrote:

I don't drink the stuff but I like it sprinkled on hash browns!

And liberally (ohh that word hurts) pored over turnip greens, peas and beans.

Astro wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

I see many overweight healthcare professionals.
      It really makes you want to follow their advice....even though it obviously doesn't work for them.
      They could be like some parents, they give good advice, they just don't follow it themselves. :)
      It's like a boss told me once....do as I say, not as I do.
    • JimBlue wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I was eating lots of vinegar soaked sliced cucumbers when I was a kid. Doctor told me to stop as it was drying my blood out.
      I like salty food and pickles, but it raises blood pressure and weight, and causes edema. As a kid in kindergarten, I drank pickle brine and even offered some to a girl my age.
    • Astro wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Pickle juice is all the rage amongst my bicycle crowd rather than sports drinks.
      We sell it at the baseball park.
      i remember when nolan ryan would soak his hand in it to toughen his skin to help cure and prevent blisters.

don't know if it works, but its more sanitary than the pissing on your hands like moises alou and jorge posada did for the same reason.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Pickle juice is all the rage amongst my bicycle crowd rather than sports drinks.
      i remember when nolan ryan would soak his hand in it to toughen his skin to help cure and prevent blisters.
      don't know if it works, but its more sanitary than the pissing on your hands like moises alou and jorge posada did for the same reason.
      Moises Alou inspired the fist bump over the handshake, and for good reason. <X
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

i remember when nolan ryan would soak his hand in it to toughen his skin to help cure and prevent blisters.don't know if it works, but its more sanitary than the pissing on your hands like moises alou and jorge posada did for the same reason.
      Moises Alou inspired the fist bump over the handshake, and for good reason. <X
      Or high five.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

It might keep someone from sucking a thumb, biting nails, or licking fingers. I wonder if other things Bear Grylls puts in his mouth taste just as bad.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

i remember when nolan ryan would soak his hand in it to toughen his skin to help cure and prevent blisters.don't know if it works, but its more sanitary than the pissing on your hands like moises alou and jorge posada did for the same reason.
      It might keep someone from sucking a thumb, biting nails, or licking fingers. I wonder if other things Bear Grylls puts in his mouth taste just as bad.
      Apparently he will put anything in his mouth for a buck.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • sheepdog wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I drink a table spoon of organic apple cider vinegar with mother every day. It's good for digestion, burns fat, healthy cholesterol, blood sugar and improves nutrient absorption.
      that's what i'm doing, and for the reasons you mentioned, but i was wondering if the claims are legit. at a tablespoon a day this bottle is gonna last a while. cheap supplement if it works as advertised.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I drink a table spoon of organic apple cider vinegar with mother every day. It's good for digestion, burns fat, healthy cholesterol, blood sugar and improves nutrient absorption.
      that's what i'm doing, and for the reasons you mentioned, but i was wondering if the claims are legit. at a tablespoon a day this bottle is gonna last a while. cheap supplement if it works as advertised.
      who knows, but it's cheap and I try to eat heathy real food. I 'm also studying herbs and their benefits. I raise chickens for eggs, rabbits for meat and fertilizer. I have two hives of honey bees and I grow as much of my own food as possible. I make my own maple syrup. I'm all in I guess.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • sheepdog wrote:

max.patch wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

max.patch wrote:

who knows, but it's cheap and I try to eat heathy real food. I 'm also studying herbs and their benefits. I raise chickens for eggs, rabbits for meat and fertilizer. I have two hives of honey bees and I grow as much of my own food as possible. I make my own maple syrup. I'm all in I guess.
      No pigs for BACON?
    • SandyofPA wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

max.patch wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

max.patch wrote:

No pigs for BACON?
      Lol... I live on a 100x100 foot lot.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • sheepdog wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

max.patch wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

max.patch wrote:

No pigs for BACON?
      Lol... I live on a 100x100 foot lot.
      That's big enough to slop a hog on.
    • SandyofPA wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

max.patch wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

max.patch wrote:

No pigs for BACON?
      or for so very many other meals!!! barbeque ribs, pork chops, pork tenderloin, pulled pork, etc.

I used a ham hock along with apple cider vinegar and water to make ham broth this morning while I was watching Rafa vs Fed. About 1/2 hr before the MSU vs UM game, I chopped the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and used 1/2 the ham broth to make split pea soup. It simmered during the game, then I pureed it, and added the ham that had been attached to the bone and just had a bowl. Man was that delicious!!! Also, distributed the soup among some individual containers to take for lunches.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Astro wrote:

Was told once it is 20℅ exercise and 80℅ diet. Been doing pretty well on the former this year, but need to focus more on the latter.
      All calories matter. I gave up drinks sweetened with corn syrup or sugar. Eating more vegetables and whole grain helps, but I still struggle with diet. Spending time away from easily accessible food and avoiding TV because of the food commercials helps me avoid feeling hungry.
      pizza is my weakness. And eggs. And subs. And donuts with coffee. And spaghetti. ........
      and sausage and cheese and curry
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Trillium wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

max.patch wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

max.patch wrote:

No pigs for BACON?
      or for so very many other meals!!! barbeque ribs, pork chops, pork tenderloin, pulled pork, etc.
      I used a ham hock along with apple cider vinegar and water to make ham broth this morning while I was watching Rafa vs Fed. About 1/2 hr before the MSU vs UM game, I chopped the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and used 1/2 the ham broth to make split pea soup. It simmered during the game, then I pureed it, and added the ham that had been attached to the bone and just had a bowl. Man was that delicious!!! Also, distributed the soup among some individual containers to take for lunches.
      That sounds wonderful. Now there are two things on my must-make list, Cheesecake and split pea soup.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i believe the first "sports drink" was coca cola which was opened and allow to go flat before using. i've read about it about it but it's use predates predate my running career.
      flat cola has made a comeback and is being served at running and triathlon events.
      wow, i had no idea. i wonder why -- its just flavored sugar water with none of the salts that gatorade et al do.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i believe the first "sports drink" was coca cola which was opened and allow to go flat before using. i've read about it about it but it's use predates predate my running career.
      flat cola has made a comeback and is being served at running and triathlon events.
      wow, i had no idea. i wonder why -- its just flavored sugar water with none of the salts that gatorade et al do.
      People have told me that flat coke tastes really good during endurance events and doesn't upset the stomach. You get the benefits of the sugar and caffeine without some of the side effects of other sugary drinks.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Trillium wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

max.patch wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

max.patch wrote:

No pigs for BACON?
      or for so very many other meals!!! barbeque ribs, pork chops, pork tenderloin, pulled pork, etc.I used a ham hock along with apple cider vinegar and water to make ham broth this morning while I was watching Rafa vs Fed. About 1/2 hr before the MSU vs UM game, I chopped the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and used 1/2 the ham broth to make split pea soup. It simmered during the game, then I pureed it, and added the ham that had been attached to the bone and just had a bowl. Man was that delicious!!! Also, distributed the soup among some individual containers to take for lunches.
      That sounds wonderful. Now there are two things on my must-make list, Cheesecake and split pea soup.
      I love split pea soup. Made some a few weeks ago. Also enjoy squash soup. I have a Butternut Squash at home right now. I think it may turn into soup very soon.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

People have told me that flat coke tastes really good during endurance events and doesn't upset the stomach. You get the benefits of the sugar and caffeine without some of the side effects of other sugary drinks.
      When riding century events, I've found unless the sports drink served at rest stops is about 50% diluted it's too strong. However when riding solo, a convenience store is usually the only place to get a drink once my water bottles are empty. That's when I get a 20 oz soda and a Snickers.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • odd man out wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Trillium wrote:

or for so very many other meals!!! barbeque ribs, pork chops, pork tenderloin, pulled pork, etc.I used a ham hock along with apple cider vinegar and water to make ham broth this morning while I was watching Rafa vs Fed. About 1/2 hr before the MSU vs UM game, I chopped the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and used 1/2 the ham broth to make split pea soup. It simmered during the game, then I pureed it, and added the ham that had been attached to the bone and just had a bowl. Man was that delicious!!! Also, distributed the soup among some individual containers to take for lunches.
      I love split pea soup. Made some a few weeks ago. Also enjoy squash soup. I have a Butternut Squash at home right now. I think it may turn into soup very soon.
      I don't know about the weather on your side of the state but its been low 20's into the teens here with wind chills down in the single digits for this past week and going forward so this is truly great soup weather. Husband made a pot of chili on Thursday. I'm going to make more split pea soup tomorrow. But next time I'm at the fruit market, I'm going to buy a butternut squash; love that soup!