Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

First Hike

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hey guys im looking to take a 4-6 day hike starting around springer mountain in june, I will only have one vehicle with me so can you either recommend a shuttle service or preferably a loop? Ive done a good bit of hiking down here in Florida so i know i can keep a decent pace up.
    • The AT is well marked, the BMT generally has enough marks to get you where you need to go. I have no idea about the Duncan ridge trail. Bring maps for the BMT and Duncan ridge trail. The national geographic trails illustrated maps for that area are good.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • I'm from the flat lands like you are. I'm also 42 tomorrow. Day one would be about 12 miles and it would suck really bad, day two would be 14 miles and it would be awful, day three would be 14 nice miles, day four would be 14 easy miles, day five I could walk forever.

5 days should be perfect
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Don't assume you can make the same pace in Georgia that you can in Florida. Generally speaking, for a first hike in mountains I advise people not to plan more than 8-12 mile days out of the gate, until they know their capability. Even if they regularly do bigger miles on the flats.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Don't assume you can make the same pace in Georgia that you can in Florida. Generally speaking, for a first hike in mountains I advise people not to plan more than 8-12 mile days out of the gate, until they know their capability. Even if they regularly do bigger miles on the flats.
      Go until you get tired and stop, that's one good thing about hammocks, you don't need a flat spot.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • tjp1297 wrote:

Do you think it would be possible to hike from amicalola to blood mt. and back in under 5 days?
      That is around 75 miles. It's possible but you would have to really go quickly on day one.

You could park on FS 42 (34.637506, -84.195396) which would cut out the 8.3 mile approach trail to save 16.6 miles. Then it would be a 60 mile hike.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • The Duncan Ridge trail is nice, but its tougher than the AT in most places.

It may of been mentioned before but: I would drive to Neels Gap (Blood Mtn.) and park there. Get a shuttle to take you to Amicacola State Park and start at the beginning of the Approach Trail. By the time you get to the park and start hiking it will probably be late morning. have a easy day 1 (roughly 5 1/2 miles) and stop at the Len Foote Hike Inn and stay the night, relax, eat good food, then start continue North in the morning. This would give you a good 4 day hike with extra time built in to stop and smell the flowers or to let your legs rest. These North Georgia mountains can be a decent challenge for a flat lander. By leaving your car at Neels gap you can hike at your schedule and not have to worry about being somewhere at a certain time to meet up with your shuttle. What ever you decide, have a great trip.
      RIAP
    • I have hiked the Georgia Loop many, many times and the Duncan Ridge stretch of that trail is tough, and water is very difficult to go get, so I always carry 3l of water thru there, the rest of the time ur on the BMT or the AT and water is a lot easier to get... Sgt. Rocks BMT Guide has a page dedicated to the Duncan Ridge Trail, at least it used to... I have hiked it both directions, SOBO is the best way... FWIW...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...
    • a couple quick comments and then a couple shuttlers.

if you do the georgia loop you will not need a shuttle. just be aware that this is considered to be the toughest hike in georgia. i have not hiked it so i can not comment.

if you are unsure of your pace in the mountains, and want to save some money, you can do an out and back. for a 4 day hike, hike 2 days then turn around and hike back to your car.

there are plenty of shuttlers. since it looks like you have settled on the springer to blood mountain area, i would start with rons appalachian trail shuttle 706-669-0919. he is also on facebook at the name i gave. second choice would mountain crossings, which is an outfitter at neels gap just north of blood mountain. (706) 745-6095. the store does not do shuttles, but they will refer you to one of their employees or another local shuttler.

there are plenty of other choices. if this does not work out repost and we can give other names.
      2,000 miler
    • Well guys, update time. My original partner backed out on me so i found a new one, but cant do as long of a trek. My plan is to get to Amicalola and do and in and out, up springer on day one, hike on the AT for day two, then turn around and head back. Anything important I need to know about that? With it being my first hike im only shooting for around 8-10 miles a day.
    • tjp1297 wrote:

Well guys, update time. My original partner backed out on me so i found a new one, but cant do as long of a trek. My plan is to get to Amicalola and do and in and out, up springer on day one, hike on the AT for day two, then turn around and head back. Anything important I need to know about that? With it being my first hike im only shooting for around 8-10 miles a day.
      Here is an option for you... Park at Neel Gap, go up and over Blood Mountain, jump on the Duncan Ridge Trail to Coosa Bald, then jump on the Coosa Backcountry and head back to the parking lot... Then the only thing you will re hike is NOBO over Blood Mountain, and there is a side trail down to the parking lot...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...
    • tjp1297 wrote:

Well guys, update time. My original partner backed out on me so i found a new one, but cant do as long of a trek. My plan is to get to Amicalola and do and in and out, up springer on day one, hike on the AT for day two, then turn around and head back. Anything important I need to know about that? With it being my first hike im only shooting for around 8-10 miles a day.
      nothing important, but a few observations. using whole numbers from memory for mileage cuz i'm too lazy to look em up.

i assume you'll hike amicalola to springer day 1 and springer to hawk mountain day 2. day 1 is pretty much 8 miles mostly up. day 2 is 8 miles mostly flat. day 2 is imo the easiest section in georgia.

at mile 6 day 1 you'll be at black mountain shelter. that used to be the springer mountain shelter; it was helicoptered to its current location when the current springer mountain shelter was built.

at mile 4 day 2 you will cross a bridge over noontootla creek and immediatly come to a forest service road. that is 3 forks. a mile from there is a blue blaze to long creek falls. its worth the short detour.

a mile past long creek falls you will reach another forest service road. you can't see it from the trail, but if you turn left on the forest service road you will reach a cemetary in 100 yards that is a great place to take a break. pit toilets, covered pavillion. highly recommended.

when you reach hawk mountain shelter at mile 8 you may be tempted to hike on. just be aware that the next water is 6 miles away, and the hiking is much more difficult than what you have already done that day.

on the way back consider stopping at the hike inn just to check it out. you can get a map on how to get there from amicalola park when you first arrive.
      2,000 miler
    • tjp1297 wrote:

I've done that one recently! Good plan. You'll enjoy it!
      There's not much water on the approach trail, so bring enough to get you 8 miles. I'd suggest staying in the Springer Shelter. It's a nice one with a 2nd floor.
      The first leg of the AT from Springer is really pretty with lots of water! There's a place near 3 Forks ((before Hawk Mountain Shelter) with the most incredible waterfall! See pic. Be sure to get water there. Not only is it extra delicious in a waterfall ;), but it's the last water until near the shelter, a few hot miles away.

Edit: Just read Max Patch's reply. Yeah, the detour is certainly worth it.
      Images
      • Waterfall lunch spot.jpg

165.57 kB, 800×450, viewed 345 times
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • tjp1297 wrote:

Okay sweet, I mapped out my hike here: http://caltopo.com/m/6E7N
      Thanks a ton for the map and water tips, I feel dumb for assuming it was gonna similar to Florida with water every half mile or so. I think its gonna be a cool trip, I'm counting down the days now!
      are you aware that your start point on your map is about 4 miles north of amicalola falls state park?

edit: looking at the map i bet its 30 years old. it shows the trail on the wrong side of the cemetary. that was a relo sometime in the 80's. also, you show that you are camping on the summit of hawk mountain. the trail hasn't gone over the summit of hawk since 1979. (that's not a map problem as the map doesn't show the a.t. where you are camping.)
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• tjp1297 wrote:

Would that still be worth printing to bring just as a general reference?
      Personally, I would prefer a more updated map. Have you looked at any map apps? Today I used Gaia to look at your route. It's for iphone but works on the desktop and there's a free version.

Edit... I agree strongly with the suggestion to get the AT guide. I didn't have one for a long time and once I got it, trip planning became incredibly easier.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • max.patch wrote:

tjp1297 wrote:

Would that still be worth printing to bring just as a general reference?
      sure.

the section is well blazed so no worries about getting lost. i would recommend that if you are going to be doing more hiking in ga you consider getting the ga/nc maps put out by the atc.
      If you pay attention...getting lost has become a part of all my hikes, why just see the AT when you can see so much more.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • There's a big debate on this subject of "best map/trail guide. From one noob ice to another, I have read then all and the AT Guide is the easiest, most organized resources, and it's the only "map" I plan to take other than a few apps on my phone.
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.