Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

How I fixed my electronic gadget

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How I fixed my electronic gadget

I have this pocket digital device that tells you everything except the time on the moon. It's a clock, timer, alarm clock, compass, barometer, altimeter and thermometer, and a few other things I can't remember. I accidentally sent it through the washing machine, in the pocket of my pants, and it came out clean but not working. There was no way for me to know if it was the water or the spinning in the washer that did it in. Kathy remembered reading an article about someone who dried out their cell phone by putting it in a container of rice and suggested I give it a try. I figured there was nothing to lose and everything to gain since this particular gadget isn't available anymore. A small plastic container was filled 1/2 full with rice and I put the device, wrapped in a paper towel, on top of the rice with the battery cover removed. Fast forward a week and I installed a fresh battery to find the device come to life. So I installed the cover and now I have to find the instructions for how to set it.

I don't know if the thing would have dried enough to work without the rice. The rice is there to absorb the moisture.
      Thanks to Kathy for remembering this trick.
      What tips and tricks do you know to get an electronic device working again?
    • I left my cell phone in my saddle bag on my motorcycle one time and it rained that night and I woke up the next morning to find it submerged in water for at least 5 hours. The screen looked like a fish bowl. I opened it up, took out the battery, shook as much water out of it I could and put it on the roof to dry out in the sun. Popped the battery back in at the end of the day and it started working again. This was one of the original Motorola StarTACs . That thing was bomb proof. It fell off my side riding down the road at about 35mph and was tumbling down the lane. Went back and picked it up and it was working just fine. Years later got the upgraded model and walked into a pool with it in my pocket and it couldn't have been 5 seconds when I realized it and tried the same method of drying it out and it didn't work. I think a lot has to do with quality and the way something is built. I heard the old models were subjected to steam and the new ones were subjected to profit.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • My wife's first cell phone ,way back when, was a Nokia.
      One day when she was driving the school bus, no kids on board, stopped at railroad tracks and opened the door to get the stop lights to blink. That Nokia fell to the floor, bounced down the stairs to the road, and got run over by the front wheel of her bus. The phone was retrieved and still worked just fine.