Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Missing hiker on Mt. Adams found dead

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I think she should have left the PLB in the car...and driven back home with it.

Very sad but I dislike the mindset that thinks it's alright to go out in those conditions because you have a device that will enable you to make others come out in them if it's too much for you. Instead of the PLB she could have carried a pencil and paper to write her apology for being so stupid.
      The local equivalent is the people who hike in super dry forests in bushfire season.
      Sorry if I appear harsh on this one but I think she deserves a Darwin award.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Good to see that this place is full of such compassionate human beings.

It's very sad but totally unnecessary.
      I get the feeds from Mt Washington Observatory and if she was trying this traverse she should have too. The weather was expected to be putting you in danger if you lost your goggles and the wind was expected to be strong enough to rip them off your face. Observatory staff stated they would not be able to exit to help anyone. AND HER HUSBAND DROPPED HER OFF! I'm sorry, but I dispute the "experienced" tag. To be experienced you learn from things you have done. She clearly did not learn enough from her previous activities. I was on Mt Washington on a nice August day. I consider it effectively suicide to have attempted what she was doing.
      If stating the above here in a forum where I doubt her family go is lacking compassion well then I lack compassion. My comments on the Facebook story are a bit more "tempered".
      "Stupid is as stupid does".......
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • hikerboy wrote:

Hiker activated personal locator beacon to indicate emergency

wmur.com/news/rescuers-search-…er-near-mt-adams/31294362

Found between Adams and Madison? Isn't there a hut there? Sad. Very sad. I was there in August. It was 35° with winds about 40mph. Can't imagine being there during those conditions. Not a good decision, but still very sad.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • OzJacko wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I get the feeds from Mt Washington Observatory and if she was trying this traverse she should have too. The weather was expected to be putting you in danger if you lost your goggles and the wind was expected to be strong enough to rip them off your face. Observatory staff stated they would not be able to exit to help anyone. AND HER HUSBAND DROPPED HER OFF! I'm sorry, but I dispute the "experienced" tag. To be experienced you learn from things you have done. She clearly did not learn enough from her previous activities. I was on Mt Washington on a nice August day. I consider it effectively suicide to have attempted what she was doing.
      If stating the above here in a forum where I doubt her family go is lacking compassion well then I lack compassion. My comments on the Facebook story are a bit more "tempered".

I've been on those same trails in deep subzero conditions and understand the seriousness of the risks she took as well as the danger Faced by SAR teams. She clearly acted irresponsibly and once once the details of her plans, preparations and trip are available we can probably have some sort of productive discussion.
      Throwing around this "darwin award" nonsense less than a day after she died is disrespectful and more importantly serves no useful purpose aside from our own amusement, that's what I take issue with.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I've been on those same trails in deep subzero conditions and understand the seriousness of the risks she took as well as the danger Faced by SAR teams. She clearly acted irresponsibly and once once the details of her plans, preparations and trip are available we can probably have some sort of productive discussion.
      Throwing around this "darwin award" nonsense less than a day after she died is disrespectful and more importantly serves no useful purpose aside from our own amusement, that's what I take issue with.

What legitimate reason did she have to be up there yesterday?
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I never claimed that she did. What legitimate reason do we have for poking fun at her in an internet forum?
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Rasty wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I never claimed that she did. What legitimate reason do we have for poking fun at her in an internet forum?

I didn't go up there yesterday. If I do please feel free to call me out on my stupidity.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Contrary to what you self-righteous types think, it IS possible to have pity/feel compassion/see the sadness in things while at the same time making comments that would indicate otherwise, whether those comments are humorous or could be perceived as disrespectful/disparaging. I've been in or around the fire service for 30+ years, and I've been known make jokes--flat out JOKES--about death within hours of it happening. I've also referred to people who died doing stupid things as stupid and/or Darwin candidates. I triple dog dare any one of you to call my compassion into question.

I have yet to check out the link HB posted or read anything else regarding this story, but from what I see here it certainly looks like she did something really stupid, thus opening herself up for Darwin Award nomination. Do I feel sorry for her family? Damn right I do. Does that make her action any less moronic? Not one bit. Don't like that? Cry to someone else.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee

The post was edited 1 time, last by Grinder ().

• We as a group are prone to waffle. I certainly don't share the opinions of many others and don't expect any different in return. But this is not a condolence thread for her family. It is a thread in the cafe and I for one make no apologu for the darwin award reference. To me she is a classic recipient. The "newness" of her death I am sure contribute to some feeling uncomfortable with that and I acknowledge that. But I think the sad fact is that it highlights some unfortunate issues becoming more common.
      In those conditions she should have been better prepared. The only reason to take a PLB is for the function it eventually performed - body recovery. It is a form of "entitlement" to expect others to come and save you.
      I saw a comment elsewhere that said she had never hiked the Presidentials before. In that case she was not "experienced" for the hike she was undertaking. I have over 5000km of hiking (and a few miles paddling) in the last 3 years including a Washington traverse. For those conditions I have no "experience" although I am sure a news report would describe me as such in similar circumstances.

I would also like to state to many of the "regulars" on this site:
      Disagree by all means, but cut the acrimony in your interactions. Read the home page. Pull up a stool and join the conversation. Once you start having an argument, step outside and sort it out with PM's or something. I don't like any censorship but I think we came here because we're grownups and dislike being treated like children, but some of the recent stuff has been extremely childish.
      Rant over.
    • Grinder wrote:

Contrary to what you self-righteous types think, it IS possible to have pity/feel compassion/see the sadness in things while at the same time making comments that would indicate otherwise, whether those comments are humorous or could be perceived as disrespectful/disparaging. I've been in or around the fire service for 30+ years, and I've been known make jokes--flat out JOKES--about death within hours of it happening. I've also referred to people who died doing stupid things as stupid and/or Darwin candidates. I triple dog dare any one of you SOBs to call my compassion into question.

I have yet to check out the link HB posted or read anything else regarding this story, but from what I see here it certainly looks like she did something really stupid, thus opening herself up for Darwin Award nomination. Do I feel sorry for her family? Damn right I do. Does that make her action any less moronic? Not one bit. Don't like that? Cry to someone else.
      I'm the king of open big mouth insert foot. I think we all posts things one way on one day and can post what may be construed as out of character on another day...it happens, were filthy thinkin' humans. That is all.
    • Rasty wrote:

I''m sorry. In this remark, I hear a big segment of the American public - the ones who gleefully write letters to the editor after every SAR activation makes the news, complaining about the cost to the taxpayer.

She made a mistake. A bad one, a lethal one. And yes, her mistake endangered the lives of others.

Who among us hasn't made a mistake? I'd bet that most of us who have been hiking for any length of time have made near-lethal ones. I know I'm lucky still to be here after some of the damn-fool things I've done.

And what 'legitimate' reason have I ever had to go hiking? Is there even a 'legitimate' reason? I'm sure that if one of my near-misses turned into an accident, there would be gleeful letters to the editor in my local paper deriding the cost to the taxpayers of the recovery. Everyone knows those hikers are all rich daredevils who deserve whatever they get, or something. They've got no reason to be out there!

However blameworthy she may be in this case (and surely she'd taken an incredibly risky move), I suspect that the rush to blame the victim really arises as a coping mechanism for our own fears. "It can't happen to me, because I'm smarter than that!" Well, I'm sure that if the Guy that Owns the Place lets me go on hiking long enough, I'll be the subject of one of these stories. If that happens, I'd rather that they didn't come for me: I don't want to have my mistake risk the lives of others. But I don't get that choice, because rescuing those in need of it, and recovering those beyond need of rescue, is something that humans do. (And that's why I carry a PLB. The search is the really risky part; the rescue or recovery much less so. If my last action can take some of the risk away from the searchers, it's to the good.)

Maybe I've got a gentler perspective because I've done a few Northeast 4000-footers in winter. With a favourable weather forecast, hiking partners, and very likely better preparedness in other respects. But it was still a risky thing to be doing. And I'll likely take that risk again.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Rasty wrote:

Kevin
      Would you go with 80 mph wind forecasts? A reasonable rational person does not do that.

No, I wouldn't.

But there's still a continuum here. If I had met with an accident on any of my last few trips, I'm sure that others - perhaps even most of the people I know - would be saying that a reasonable, rational person doesn't sleep rough in subzero temperatures, climb Northeast high peaks in winter, hike solo in the Adirondacks, and so on.

She was far to the 'foolish' side. But there's no bright line separating 'adventurous' from 'foolish.'
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • I just think that it was very much the kind of stupid mistake people do because they have a PLB and think it gives them a magic "reset" button if they go too far into the "game".
      She lucked out. The SAR team made a wise decision to not risk more lives.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

the rush to blame the victim

Who the hell else is there to blame here? It's not like we're talking about a rape where blaming the victim is sheer lunacy, or a woman who for reasons unknown stays with a man who beats her. Those are situations where there IS someone else to blame. Okay sure, in this case we could thump her husband on the head for dropping her off, but when all is said and done, SHE CHOSE TO GO OUT IN THE CONDITIONS SHE DID.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • To be human is to be imperfect. To be imperfect means making bad decisions sometimes. Usually, we luck out. But once in a while, we don't.

Sucks she died in her quest for adventure. Blame is really no one's business. We're all going to fug up at times. Let's just hope when we do, we are able to live long enough to fug up again
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • a solo presi traverse, given the forecast , was a death wish.
      the story raises questions about what her thinking process was going out in those conditions. many take the whites pretty lightly because of the relatively low elevation. to hike above treeline in whiteout conditions is just plain foolish.
      as much as i feel for the family. the story raises legitimate questions about the planning that went into the hike, and whetehr she was aware of th econditons she would be hiking in. it seems she was either oblivious of the forecast, or just took that 6000 ftr altitude a bit to mildly. she had hiked higher peaks, skied higher peaks, in mid winter conditions.
      so the question is "what was she thinking?"
      i dont find this disrespectful, just the latest chapter of "not without peril". if she had died on everest the speculation would be the same
      its all good
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Kevin
      Would you go with 80 mph wind forecasts? A reasonable rational person does not do that.

No, I wouldn't.

But there's still a continuum here. If I had met with an accident on any of my last few trips, I'm sure that others - perhaps even most of the people I know - would be saying that a reasonable, rational person doesn't sleep rough in subzero temperatures, climb Northeast high peaks in winter, hike solo in the Adirondacks, and so on.

She was far to the 'foolish' side. But there's no bright line separating 'adventurous' from 'foolish.'

I wouldn't. The difference between an adventure and suicide in this scenario is the weather. A rational person would have looked at the weather.

Getting caught in an unexpected or unavoidable storm is one thing. Walking into hurricane force winds at 6000 feet is a death wish.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • There are those that have no plans, those that have poor plans, those that say they have no plan but in fact have terrific plans (I am still learning from that group), those that think they have good plans but are really not prepared at all, those that plan so much that they never go, and then there is me. When I strike out on an adventure, I try to be as prepared as I can be so as to maximize the enjoyment of the trip. Do like I do and you run the risk of being called arrogant and disrespecting nature. What is my point? Regardless of what you do, someone is going to think you are an idiot. I have strong opinions about her choices too. However, being in the middle of such debates online, I no longer see the profit in expressing them. It is my prayer that people would learn from others and not the hard way. As I expressed to TwistWrist when she first came on this site, there are very knowledgeable people here. They are the ones that can help you have success on your hikes. However, it can be difficult to gain that knowledge from them because of the attitude they have towards those that know less than them. Ignorant people need knowledge. I know. I am that person often. Those that know better, need perspective. I know. I have been on the receiving end. I have learned from that. I have gained perspective. And for that I am thankful.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.