Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Gaging Interest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Gaging Interest

Hi there, I am totally new here and to this whole hiking business lol. I am a masters student studying Anthropology in the United Kingdom, I'm looking to do a PhD on the counter-culture, beliefs, traditions, readjustments to society afterwards of 'Thru-Hikers' or any kind of long distance hiker for that matter. I'm merely posting here to gage the interest, whether the community would welcome the project with open arms or shun it (similar to Frankenstein's Monster)?

Many thanks and much love, Kieran aka. Oppenheimer.
    • Oppenheimer wrote:

Hi there, I am totally new here and to this whole hiking business lol. I am a masters student studying Anthropology in the United Kingdom, I'm looking to do a PhD on the counter-culture, beliefs, traditions, readjustments to society afterwards of 'Thru-Hikers' or any kind of long distance hiker for that matter. I'm merely posting here to gage the interest, whether the community would welcome the project with open arms or shun it (similar to Frankenstein's Monster)?

Many thanks and much love, Kieran aka. Oppenheimer.

I am just a section hiker, perhaps a LASHer (sometimes 4 to 7 weeks at a time), but having done a dissertation myself, I would certainly be willing help out if possible. As for thru hikers I believe it would be across the board. Some would love to talk/chat/whatever with you and help you out. On the other end there will be those that will not want to give you the time of day. Just realize that and make the most of the ones willing and do not get too put off by those who are not.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Oppenheimer wrote:

Thanks! Is there anywhere I can go to find out about more about the culture?

I would caution that you not to assume that there is "a culture." Thru-hikers come from all age groups, and from across socio-economic classes. Some do it once, and go back to normal lives, some don't. I'd recommend reading a few books written by thru-hikers of different age groups, then go hike with them. Starting at Springer Mountain around 20 March ...

You can go to the ALDHA Gathering this year, and Damascus Trail Days next year, but both of those will only give you glimpses to sub-sets of thru-hikers ...
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15

The post was edited 1 time, last by LDog ().

• you may want to check out trailjournals.com. many thru hikers not only keep an online journal while theyre out on the trail, and also after theyre done. many revisit and express their feelings about returning to civilization after living on the trail for 5 or 6 months.many of these you can email directly to see if theyd be willing to talk to you about their experiences.
      its all good
    • Rasty wrote:

I thought it was going to be about those ear guages the kids are wearing these days?
      Those are indeed interesting...to say the least. 8|

So, a while back my son asked me a question about wearing earnings, he has two and wanted to switch to just one.

"Dad, which ear is it that means your gay"

I told him I didn't remember...

"Stick it in one ear, and if you get hit on, switch to the other ear"

The post was edited 1 time, last by Socks ().

• LDog wrote:

Oppenheimer wrote:

Thanks! Is there anywhere I can go to find out about more about the culture?

I would caution that you not to assume that there is "a culture." Thru-hikers come from all age groups, and from across socio-economic classes. Some do it once, and go back to normal lives, some don't.

On the otherhand, subcultures are created based on common and shared experiences. Regardless of where they'd come from, on the trail the long distance hiker may very well become isolated from the larger society while sharing the same needs, experiences and hardships with other long distance hikers. That isolation and shared experience I think certainly creates a culture, even if fleeting once the hike comes to an end.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tuckahoe ().

• Thru hiker culture is just another manifestation of the human need to form "clans or tribes".
      Man is a tribal creature. We seek to identify with a group. It can be family, religion, nationality, football code or team. We feel a need to belong. Part of belonging is having behaviours or traditions that identify us as part of that group.
      Sorry if I seem to be saying that hiker culture is not really special but the basic behaviour is something that you can see repeated in any "group".
      Now you have half your thesis.
      :)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Thru hiker culture is just another manifestation of the human need to form "clans or tribes".
      Man is a tribal creature. We seek to identify with a group. It can be family, religion, nationality, football code or team. We feel a need to belong. Part of belonging is having behaviours or traditions that identify us as part of that group.
      Sorry if I seem to be saying that hiker culture is not really special but the basic behaviour is something that you can see repeated in any "group".
      Nicely said, the only thing I'd add is to say folks want to belong to nature on as much as a primitive level as possible in this day and age, and then nomadically share the experience of the days journey at the bar, shelter, or picnic table....sounds fun to me.
    • socks wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Thru hiker culture is just another manifestation of the human need to form "clans or tribes".
      Nicely said, the only thing I'd add is to say folks want to belong to nature on as much as a primitive level as possible in this day and age, and then nomadically share the experience of the days journey at the bar, shelter, or picnic table....sounds fun to me.

You've got me thinking this morning and I haven't had enough coffee. That's not a good combination.
      Lost in the right direction.