Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

class of 2014 / 2000 miler list

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• interesting, it appears roughly 1/4 hikers that started , finished

2014 Hiker Counts (updated December 31, 2014)
      Northbound Thru-Hike (Georgia to Maine in 12 Months)
      Springer Mtn., Ga. (estimated)
      Harpers Ferry, W.Va. (1,020 miles)
      Katahdin, Maine (2,186 miles)
      633*

Southbound Thru-Hike (Maine to Georgia in 12 Months)
      Katahdin, Maine
      Harpers Ferry, W.Va. (1,166 miles)
      168*
      Springer Mtn., Ga. (2,186 miles)
      62*

Alternative Thru-Hike (entire Trail, non-contiguous, in 12 Months)
      Harpers Ferry, W.Va.
      122*
      Completions reported
      61*
      Section (more than 12 Months)
      Harpers Ferry, W. Va.
      505*
      Completions reported
      110*
      its all good
    • i see lone wolf finally did a white blaze hike.

most creative name: Katniss Neverclean from the hunger games movie/book.

and gandalf will not die. one year there had to be 20 people calling themselves that.

the usual suspects are still popular: 12 people with bear in their name, 4 wolfs, 3 moose. 5 just (fill in the blank).

17 from germany, 5 switzerland, 5 canada, 8 england/united kingdom.

and oz, 1 from australia.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• hikerboy wrote:

interesting, it appears roughly 1/4 hikers that started , finished

2014 Hiker Counts (updated December 31, 2014)
      Northbound Thru-Hike (Georgia to Maine in 12 Months)
      Springer Mtn., Ga. (estimated)
      Harpers Ferry, W.Va. (1,020 miles)
      Katahdin, Maine (2,186 miles)
      633*

Southbound Thru-Hike (Maine to Georgia in 12 Months)
      Katahdin, Maine
      Harpers Ferry, W.Va. (1,166 miles)
      168*
      Springer Mtn., Ga. (2,186 miles)
      62*

Alternative Thru-Hike (entire Trail, non-contiguous, in 12 Months)
      Harpers Ferry, W.Va.
      122*
      Completions reported
      61*
      Section (more than 12 Months)
      Harpers Ferry, W. Va.
      505*
      Completions reported
      110*

Based on my own observations of 2013, more than 15% of those reporting completion didn't complete it from a purist perspective anymore than I did. Like the Camino, the willingness to skip bits is endemic once you reach northern Pennsylvania.
      Because of our openness about things like the aeroblaze and aquablaze, we had hikers everywhere "confessing". Purism is the stamping ground of a very small minority.
      I am not on a listing. I don't care. I hiked the Appalachian Trail. I have the t shirt to prove it.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Familiar with the one from Oz from another site. Experienced hiker. He seems a nice guy but on other side of country.
      28 foreigners! Wow! Just think how many more entitled USA hikers could have done it if you banned foreigners....
      ;)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Familiar with the one from Oz from another site. Experienced hiker. He seems a nice guy but on other side of country.
      28 foreigners! Wow! Just think how many more entitled USA hikers could have done it if you banned foreigners....
      ;)
      We'll have to consider that after they implement those permits and quotas that the people on TOS seem to think are necessary. PooFan
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • OzJacko wrote:

I think a few more fees will reduce the local hiker numbers.
      After spending $2000 odd on plane tickets, a few hundred in fees isn't going to deter them damn foreigners....

I'm thinking we might need a fence to deter those foreigners. Maybe a 20' wide fence right at the entrance to the trail. No one would dare walk around the fence.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

After spending $2000 odd on plane tickets, a few hundred in fees isn't going to deter them damn foreigners....

I'm thinking we might need a fence to deter those foreigners. Maybe a 20' wide fence right at the entrance to the trail. No one would dare walk around the fence.

sounds like the strategy we use at the mexican border
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

sounds like the strategy we use at the mexican border

Then it's foolproof!
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

No fence could be more deterrent than the JFK Immigration/Customs welcome after 24 hours flight time.
      Besides - HooRoo repeatedly proved fences are for climbing.
    • See my student's name on the list (Koltrain, he did it in 100 days).

Didn't see Geo Sandwich who was doing a flip flop when I met her in Harpers Ferry (she was flying to Maine in July to do hike back to HF SOBO). She used to do roller derby, so she was pretty tough, and unless she got injured really bad I would think she would have made it. Perhaps just didn't get around to reporting it.

Over the next two summers as I get further north I expect to meet more people that make the list.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

See my student's name on the list (Koltrain, he did it in 100 days).

Didn't see Geo Sandwich who was doing a flip flop when I met her in Harpers Ferry (she was flying to Maine in July to do hike back to HF SOBO). She used to do roller derby, so she was pretty tough, and unless she got injured really bad I would think she would have made it. Perhaps just didn't get around to reporting it.

Over the next two summers as I get further north I expect to meet more people that make the list.

remember, not everyone reports their hike, legit or not
      its all good
    • I know someone who at one time admitted to blue-blazing and yellow-blazing all over the trail and declared himself to be a thru-hiker and is now on the 2012 list. Who now gets real quiet about it when in the company of other thru-hikers. Why I don't know.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • milkman wrote:

I know someone who at one time admitted to blue-blazing and yellow-blazing all over the trail and declared himself to be a thru-hiker and is now on the 2012 list. Who now gets real quiet about it when in the company of other thru-hikers. Why I don't know.

I've just been a bit melancholy and reminiscing to myself by flicking through the photos on my trail journal. 100's of them - takes a while.

Some tough times but shyte I had some good times in there....
    • OzJacko wrote:

milkman wrote:

I know someone who at one time admitted to blue-blazing and yellow-blazing all over the trail and declared himself to be a thru-hiker and is now on the 2012 list. Who now gets real quiet about it when in the company of other thru-hikers. Why I don't know.

I've just been a bit melancholy and reminiscing to myself by flicking through the photos on my trail journal. 100's of them - takes a while.

Heck Oz, it was fun following along.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • OzJacko wrote:

milkman wrote:

You did a much better job of hiking and seeing America than any of the purists could have hoped to.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • hikerboy wrote:

Astro wrote:

See my student's name on the list (Koltrain, he did it in 100 days).

remember, not everyone reports their hike, legit or not

I personally know a hiker that has done 3 thrus and never reported one.
    • max.patch wrote:

i see lone wolf finally did a white blaze hike.

most creative name: Katniss Neverclean from the hunger games movie/book.

and gandalf will not die. one year there had to be 20 people calling themselves that.

the usual suspects are still popular: 12 people with bear in their name, 4 wolfs, 3 moose. 5 just (fill in the blank).

17 from germany, 5 switzerland, 5 canada, 8 england/united kingdom.

and oz, 1 from australia.

And one from NM.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC