Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

How to pack your pack

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to pack your pack

Hey guys! I have most of my hiking gear now! Yeah!

Tonight I'm going to watch a few videos and play around with packing my stuff in my Deuter. Any tips? Sleeping bag and tent need to be easily accessible...stuff like that. I'll post links to the good videos I find on this thread too. Maybe it will help other noobies.
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • Manufacturers tend to put more pockets and zippers on women's packs because that's what most women prefer. This can make it difficult to remember where you put things and you end up looking in every pocket for your stuff. So always pack your stuff in the same place as much as possible. After a few days, you'll remember where you put it.

My core packing method is to put my bag and sleeping clothes in a trash bag at the bottom of my bag. Next is my sleeping mat, pillow, and tent (unless it's wet), On top is my food, cookware, and jacket. I put my extra clothes in gallon Ziploc's and push them down in the cracks. In the outer pockets are first aid, maps, water treatment, and water bottle.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Sleeping bag stays in it's compression sack and that is wrapped in a trash-compactor bag. (only when on the hike, otherwise hanging in my closet or laid out in the hammock in my room). No matter what else happens you don't want your sleeping bag wet and since in our bags that's on the bottom the extra bag is a precaution (Osprey Aether and Ariel)

Cook set (GSi dualist and/or soloist) goes on top of the bag in the pack (little divider is there) and centered. It's the least necessary at any given point. The poles for the tent/hammock and saw are along the spine off to a side closest to my back where they can't be bent or broken. Tent is on one side of the dualist, sleeping pad on the other. Toss in the water filtration, med kit and such which are easily accessed through the front, then fill in the gaps with food, clothing, etc. Rain gear is always on top and ready to go with a rain-cover for the pack hung by the caribiner off the back.

There are two big side pockets, one of them holds the tarp, the other snacks and extra cord. That way if it starts raining I can do a dry setup under the tarp and everything else is good to go.

I find that my load is probably heavier than most at mid-30's to 40's (depending on insulation and length of trip) but with this pack you tend to forget about it after ten mins or so. Just make sure your load is balanced and if you have outside compression straps use them. Just play around a bit with it and see what's comfortable. Make sure you swing your hips a few times, bend, lean, etc. You want the pack to be intuitive.
    • We can all give advice but in the end it's trial and error that will lead you to what works for you. A lot of how to pack a pack depends on the pack, a lot of pockets or no pockets, etc., I've evolved to no pockets. In general, keep as much weight as close to your back as possible and distribute the weight side to side. A trick I learned was to lay the pack on the ground after packing it and push on the back panel to flatten it somewhat, this made it more comfortable on my back.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Just make it all fit. Some of your gear will squeeze in sideways. Put that in first. Try and pack the rest so that it is balanced weight wise left and right. If it's wet use a heavy duty plastic bag as a liner. Don't get sucked into a pack cover. My preferred liner is a cadaver bag from a vet.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • sleeping bag and spare clothes in a compactor bag on the bottom of my pack on top go my pad, cookset, insulating layer, which fills in the gaps, then my food bag on top.first aid kit in side pocket, electronics, maps guidebook in the the other. sawyer mini fits in snug next to my water bottle in a side holster, tent stakes in the other, tent strapped to bottom of pack, wind/rain jkt in outside pouch, along with gloves, hat when the weather dictates quick access, day snacks in the brain, along with smoking supplies.
      its all good
    • max.patch wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Don't get sucked into a pack cover.

don't get sucked into not getting a pack cover. :)

Pack covers may not be perfect at keeping water off your pack, but they do keep it from soaking in and making your pack heavier as it would if you did not use one. I use a trash compactor bag as my liner inside my pack for really keeping things dry, while the light pack cover I have is there to keep the rain from soaking into my pack.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Pack covers don't do the job.
      Light rain they're not necessary.
      Heavy rain they leak.
      You should have rain gear that covers the pack as well for heavy rain.
      A liner protects from light rain.
      You should have nothing outside the liner that can't afford to get wet.
      If pack covers were any good they wouldn't have a drain hole in the bottom.
      The only thing I ever found a pack cover useful for was to "neaten" the look of a pack.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Don't get sucked into an economic black hole. I have bought a Gortex jacket, nylon jacket, nylon pants, convertible pants, synthetic knit shirts, and fleece jackets at thrift stores.

20 pounds of food and 50 feet of rope go in a Eureka Midori 3 stuff sack strapped to the bottom of an 85L REI pack. A CCF pad is rolled up and stored on one side of the pack. Two 1-liter flavored water bottles are stored on the other side. Three bottles of denatured alcohol go in the big outer stretch pocket. A Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15F sleeping bag goes in a stuff sack and heavy duty trash bag at the bottom of the pack. A down jacket goes in a stuff sack, also in the trash bag. Insulated slippers, gloves, thermal underwear, socks, extra underwear, and extra shirts go in the stuff sack, also in the trash bag. A bug tent, tarp, guy lines, and stakes go in a stuff sack outside the trash bag. Two fleece jackets and a Frogg Toggs jacket are stored sideways under the brain, hanging out on both sides of the pack. A spoon, stove, stand, pot, and windscreen go in a stuff sack in the brain. Toilet paper and lotion go in a Zip-lock bag in a stuff sack in a side pocket on the outside of the pack. A headlamp, batteries, compass, knife, and Aqua Mira go in a stuff sack in the brain. Disinfectant wipes (Wet Ones, or similar) go in the brain and side pocket. Awol's guide goes in Zip-lock bags split between my pants pocket and the brain.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Breathable, waterproof.
      Sounds good.
      Often promoted.
      Doesn't exist.
      The more breathable, the less waterproof and vice versa.
      Don't bother with expensive things claiming to be the answer to your wet weather needs.
      Get a lightweight waterproof as an outer layer.
      Accept the inevitability of sweat making you wet anyway. Reduce your speed or mileage accordingly. Enjoy the peacefulness of a campsite on a rainy day.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Breathable, waterproof.
      Sounds good.
      Often promoted.
      Doesn't exist.
      Don't bother with expensive things claiming to be the answer to your wet weather needs.
      Accept the inevitability of sweat making you wet anyway. Reduce your speed or mileage accordingly. Enjoy the peacefulness of a campsite on a rainy day.

I gave away the Goretex jacket in the first 200 miles, and replaced the Goretex footwear with something breathable after 700 some miles.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • OzJacko wrote:

Pack covers don't do the job.
      Heavy rain they leak.
      The only thing I ever found a pack cover useful for was to "neaten" the look of a pack.

they work for me.and i actually hike in the rain
      its all good
    • OzJacko wrote:

Breathable, waterproof.
      Sounds good.
      Often promoted.
      Doesn't exist.

Gore-Tex was really designed for mountaineering at below freezing temperatures. Gore-Tex works as designed but people use it in the wrong places.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Gore-Tex was really designed for mountaineering at below freezing temperatures. Gore-Tex works as designed but people use it in the wrong places.

I like the Gore-Tex in my boots, mittens, and wind jacket this time of year. Those may be the only Gore-Tex articles I own.

I think I may be agreeing with you. Or else I'm doing it all wrong. Probably both.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • hikerboy wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Pack covers don't do the job.
      Heavy rain they leak.

they work for me.and i actually hike in the rain

Yeah but you don't sweat.
      ;)
    • hikerboy wrote:

max.patch wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

max , forgive him this oversight. pack covers arent necessary in motel rooms

NOT that I have any room to talk, but...
      Images
      • Kelso-BURN.jpg

34.24 kB, 487×279, viewed 388 times
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Grinder wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

max.patch wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

max , forgive him this oversight. pack covers arent necessary in motel rooms

NOT that I have any room to talk, but...

It was a good trip. I got to walk through ice water for about 20 minutes. That was fun. I wound up hiking 29 miles yesterday.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Packing your pack depends some on the particular pack, but in general, women want the heavier stuff lower down. Our center of gravity is lower and we are more balanced with the heavy stuff near our lumbar spine. I also try to pack it in the way I will need the gear - my sleeping bag and sleeping clothes go in a compactor bag at the bottom of the pack (like many others). Then, I will put in my food bag, I take out what food I will be eating during the day - lunch, snacks etc, but the rest goes down in the bottom. then everything else goes it. Usually, I want my tent to be about the first thing out of the pack when I stop for the day, so it's on top, but my rain gear is shoved in around it, unless it's in an outside pocket.

As for pack covers, I make a 'hoodie pack cover' it's a full pack cover that straps to your pack and has an attached hood and short shoulder cape. It keeps the rain off your shoulders, keeps it from running down your back, and is an all around bad ass piece of equipment. works much better than a regular pack cover (in my not so humble opinion!). combine the hoodie with a rain wrap in the summer time, and it's all you need.
      Judy - LightHeart Gear
    • OzJacko wrote:

Breathable, waterproof.
      Sounds good.
      Often promoted.
      Doesn't exist.

Agree with all the above. I have a $170 goretex jacket I replaced with a $20.00 jacket from Academy, $160 Goretex shoes I replaced with $46.00 trail runners...a a pack cover I replaced with a trash bag for heavy rain.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • HeartFire wrote:

Packing your pack depends some on the particular pack, but in general, women want the heavier stuff lower down. Our center of gravity is lower and we are more balanced with the heavy stuff near our lumbar spine. I also try to pack it in the way I will need the gear - my sleeping bag and sleeping clothes go in a compactor bag at the bottom of the pack (like many others). Then, I will put in my food bag, I take out what food I will be eating during the day - lunch, snacks etc, but the rest goes down in the bottom. then everything else goes it. Usually, I want my tent to be about the first thing out of the pack when I stop for the day, so it's on top, but my rain gear is shoved in around it, unless it's in an outside pocket.

As for pack covers, I make a 'hoodie pack cover' it's a full pack cover that straps to your pack and has an attached hood and short shoulder cape. It keeps the rain off your shoulders, keeps it from running down your back, and is an all around bad ass piece of equipment. works much better than a regular pack cover (in my not so humble opinion!). combine the hoodie with a rain wrap in the summer time, and it's all you need.
      Judy - LightHeart Gear

Oh my, you just sent my head spinning with ideas for that rain cape! Thank You. !!!! :thumbsup:
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

HeartFire wrote:

Packing your pack depends some on the particular pack, but in general, women want the heavier stuff lower down. Our center of gravity is lower and we are more balanced with the heavy stuff near our lumbar spine. I also try to pack it in the way I will need the gear - my sleeping bag and sleeping clothes go in a compactor bag at the bottom of the pack (like many others). Then, I will put in my food bag, I take out what food I will be eating during the day - lunch, snacks etc, but the rest goes down in the bottom. then everything else goes it. Usually, I want my tent to be about the first thing out of the pack when I stop for the day, so it's on top, but my rain gear is shoved in around it, unless it's in an outside pocket.

Judy - LightHeart Gear

Oh my, you just sent my head spinning with ideas for that rain cape! Thank You. !!!! :thumbsup:

Got me to thinking too.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I pack to unpack. ie. how I set up camp. I try to multi task, so if I don't have it I get water. Next is normally my food & cooking gear. My stove & potcome out & water is set to warm. Next is normally my tent/shelter. I can be setting that up while waiting for water to boil. While cooking I'll change into my dry clothes & maybe fluff the sleeping bag up. I'll filter/treat water from my drom bag as I cook & read a bit after that before I enjoy dinner normally.

Packing back up is basically in the reverse order unless my tent is wet & I will have a chance to dry it I will start cooking. While waiting on water to boil:pack sleeping bag up & change into hiking clothes. Tear down tent. Eat & let stove cool. finish packing & hit the trail.