Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Whispelite advice

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Whispelite advice

I've been thinking about getting a liquid fuel stove for the winter. I love my pocket rocket but it fall short when there's more than just me. I was considering a whisperlite but there are three versions. I'm unsure of which one to get. The original one boasts a more efficient fuel consumption and boil rate. The international is able to use different fuels and has a different base, and the universal can use fuel cans. Any thoughts?
    • The original is a great stove. Make sure you get a repair kit now for when you need it in about 10 years. Mine is around twenty years old and still works perfectly after replacing a few o-rings and the leather pump cup.

The universal would be my last choice if I already had a pocket rocket.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • I used a little gas in the cup. When it would about burn out I would turn the valve on for a second to let some more in. About the third time it would be hot enough to vaporize & burn clean. I got to where I could do it inside my tent on the PCT. I know it's doing it wrong, but I was doing it twice a day for months. It got to the point while I was cooking in bed one morning a section hiker that had joined us asked one of the women I was hiking with if it was normal for my tent to be smoking. Michele looked over & saw the steam coming out the vent on my tent & after thinking about it for a second said yeah, pretty much.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mountain-Mike ().

• Mountain-Mike wrote:

I used a little gas in the cup. When it would about burn out I would turn the valve on for a second to let some more in. About the third time it would be hot enough to vaporize & burn clean. I got to where I could do it inside my tent on the PCT. I know it's doing it wrong, but I was doing it twice a day for months. It got to the point while I was cooking in bed one morning a section hiker that had joined us asked one of the women I was hiking with if it was normal for my tent to be smoking. Michele looked over & saw the steam coming out the vent on my stove & after thinking about it for a second said yeah, pretty much.

All this time I knew I was doing it wrong.......................I have never used it under the New Hooch =O
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • I definitely recommend a white gas stove for cold weather use.
      I have the cousin to the Whisperlight, it's called the Simmerlite, but it's not made anymore.
      And I do the same as Mountain-Mike to get things going.
      It's a good, touble free stove that's never let us down when we've used it.
      Oh, and to answer your question, I'd get the original.

You might want to check this thread for more info

The post was edited 2 times, last by LIhikers ().

• I admit I didn't find that one while I looked through the threads. I was hoping for a comparison of the three, but since everyone is saying the original was the better of the three, I'll probably go with that.

Also, the christmas theme is neat, a little hard on the eyes, but neat.
    • Tangent wrote:

I admit I didn't find that one while I looked through the threads. I was hoping for a comparison of the three, but since everyone is saying the original was the better of the three, I'll probably go with that.

Also, the christmas theme is neat, a little hard on the eyes, but neat.

Unless you plan to travel overseas the original (actually the original sucked before they added the shaker jet) is your best bet. The international adds another nozzel to burn kerosene. Not something pleasent to do due to fumes & soot. The universal is just wasted money in my opinion. I would rather have two stoves that work best for what they are designed for than one that a hybred. If you are going to use a canister just get a pocket rocket & cut down the weight. When you need a white gas one use one that is more efficient for the weight of the fuel you carry. You can get both the Original Whisperlite & a Pocket Rocket for the cost of the Universal. Then you end of with two stoves to chose from depending on your trip or bring both when you car or base camp.