Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Merrel Moab Mid Issue

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Merrel Moab Mid Issue

I posted this over at TOS, but it can't hurt to post it here too...

I love the comfort and feel of these boots. No complaints about the fit and it's nice to be able to get a pair in a wide fit. But I feel that need to add a caution as well.This is actually my second pair of Moab Mids and this particular pair was a warrenty replacement.

The issue that I have experienced with this model and the original pair that they replaced is that the leather rips at the point that the lacing eyelet is sewn in. This is exactly what happened to the first pair after I had had them for just three months, and this replacement pair I have had for exactly 2 years with only moderate use. 

I am waiting to hear back from Merrell whether they will replace these boots as well. Sadly though, even if they are replaced, after the second exact failure, I do not think I would have much confidence in these to use them on the trail again -- or any sewn in web lacing loops. Its back to actual eyelets for me.
      Images
      • 20141128_074018.jpg

1.08 MB, 2,048×1,536, viewed 375 times
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Astro wrote:

Evolve to hiking shoes (like Merrill Chameleon) or trail runners and you will not have to worry that problem anymore.

It was my intention to buy a pair of Chameleon Prime Stretch for my Christmas present. Now I do not really trust the construction of Merrells and am looking at the Oboz Firebrand II bdry.

OzJacko wrote:

Never seen the problem with moab shoes. Must be related to amount of stress caused by your ankle movement.

That point of a boot is of course a natual stress point. But I will go with the issue being the materials and the construction of the boots, for $200 Alex...

The "leather" is branded as Dura Leather, which is a nice sounding commercial name for bonded leather -- en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonded_leather . Pretty piss poor stuff.

In addition to being a bonded leather, that particular lacing loop is assembled by cutting through the material, inserting, the webbing and then stitching with two rows of sitching that are 3/8" wide and then each row is 1/8" apart. That is a lot of stress then on a very small area with stitching going through a bonded leather (clearly a second rate material).
      Images
      • 20141129_192333.jpg

945.64 kB, 2,048×1,536, viewed 353 times
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • It does seem poor but never having seen this before and then you having 2 instances of it, suggests it may have something to do with something that you do. i.e. a foot movement or lace tying action not done by the majority. This is not to say that it is acceptable. Clearly it is a weak point but I am just wondering if something else is at play. Keen Targhee boots have similar loops.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.