Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

First aid kits

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• First aid kits

Random question.
      What is the weight of a good first aid kit?

I found this one and am considering purchasing it. It seems to have a sample of most everything I've read that one may need in this kit. It weighs 6.3 oz.
      What are your must-haves in your kit?

Thanks! Oh, and I ordered my pack! :D
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • twistwrist wrote:

Random question.
      What is the weight of a good first aid kit?

I found this one and am considering purchasing it. It seems to have a sample of most everything I've read that one may need in this kit. It weighs 6.3 oz.
      What are your must-haves in your kit?

Thanks! Oh, and I ordered my pack! :D

gif.014.gif What pack did you get?

My first aid kit is always a work in progress. The nurse in me wants to bring everything because what if... :D . The more I hike, the less I put in my kit.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I used to have a "ditty" bag of stuff too but have now combined that with the first aid kit.

meds
      small roll duck tape
      4 alcohol pads
      2 or 3 various sized bandaids
      moleskin
      steri strips and benzoin (these are a must for me...I have had to use them)
      lighter
      trial size of Body Glide
      reflective emergency blanket in the winter

if I'm hiking with my girls, I take a small tube of sunscreen
    • How much does your first aid kit weigh?

I went with the Deuter, ACT Lite 60 + 10 SL.

After trying all of them on with weight, this one just "felt" right. Plus I like pockets...always have. This one has all the pockets I wanted plus a bottom compartment that can be separated from the main. This will make an easy place to store my sleep system. It's weight is its downfall, but I read everywhere that lighter (1-2 pound packs) tend to not hold up as well...at least those in my price range.

Now my tent, I'm gonna splurge on! I'm getting this bad boy: zpacks.com/shelter/solplex.shtml

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • twistwrist wrote:

How much does your first aid kit weigh?

After trying all of them on with weight, this one just "felt" right. Plus I like pockets...always have. This one has all the pockets I wanted plus a bottom compartment that can be separated from the main. This will make an easy place to store my sleep system. It's weight is its downfall, but I read everywhere that lighter (1-2 pound packs) tend to not hold up as well...at least those in my price range.

Now my tent, I'm gonna splurge on! I'm getting this bad boy: zpacks.com/shelter/solplex.shtml

Congrats on the pack! My first pack is special and I will never get rid of it.

What color tent are you going to get? I made the mistake of getting a tent that had blaze orange flaps. Not good if you want to camp unnoticed. I've had them switched to a different color.

This morning my first aid kit weighs 6.4 oz. I usually add a few extra things depending on time of year so it's normally heavier. Birdbrain is a big advocate of Body Glide on your feet and after trying it, I have to agree...so I'm going to add a full tube to my stuff...and some chapstick...made that mistake a few weeks ago.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

What color tent are you going to get? I made the mistake of getting a tent that had blaze orange flaps. Not good if you want to camp unnoticed. I've had them switched to a different color.

It comes in white, olive drab, and blue. Thinking I'll go with the olive drab which should blend in the best.

• twistwrist wrote:

How much does your first aid kit weigh?

Nice tent
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Add: tweezers, a medium size needle and some stout nylon thread for emergency repairs, removing splinters or puncturing blisters.

Gold Bond powder is good stuff to have, and some kind of anti-itch lotion (for me it's usually something camphor-based.)

In the dead of summer, a small tube or container of sunblock as well.
    • my dermatologist tells me to wear sunscreen and a hat when i hike regardless of what the calendar says. i do not follow her advice as close as i should. having said that, it is more important (at least in georgia) to have sunscreen early in the season before the trees have leafed out than in the summer when you are in the green tunnel a lot of the time. a lot of early thrus have sunburned ears in georgia.
      2,000 miler
    • Already been telling my oldest granddaughter when I hold her about the little hikes, zoos, and children's museums we are going to do. Only born last July and may not comprehend what I am saying yet, but I am planning. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General