Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Short Trip Up and Down Hightop Mountain SNP

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Short Trip Up and Down Hightop Mountain SNP

I did an overnighter last night up Hightop Mtn in the SNP. The weather forecast was nasty: 20mph winds with higher gusts, rain, and lows around freezing or so. The mountain top was obscured in clouds as I approached:

When I parked at the Swift Run Gap entrance the temp was 35* and visibility was about 100 ft. As I began the climb from 2376 up to 3563 it immediately started raining. I put on my wind shirt I had just made and all was good. After stopping halfway up for lunch, it began to rain in earnest, so I changed from wind shirt to Parcho. Next I noticed the rain was slowing- no wait it was changing to snow-perfect! It snowed all the way to the top and then slacked off as I descended the shoulder to the hut.

Dinner was good with some Tennessee Honey for desert:

I set up my tarp at one of the sites behind the shelter. I had the place to myself. Later when I brushing my teeth by the fire pit a "Hi there" came from the shelter behind me. Totally startled I spun around to see a headlight glow in the back corner. She introduced herself as "Reach" a section hiker. She had come in a couple of hours ago and because of the howl of the wind I hadn't noticed. We talked for just a minuted and then I was about frozen (standing there in my silk LJohns) and headed for my shelter.

The wind continued to howl all night with gusts I would say maybe as high as 50mph. My water bottles never froze but my shoe laces did. I had stuffed my newspaper in them to dry them and sure enough they were dry in the morning although the laces were frozen solid. I used a silk liner with my overstuffed 30* bag and wore my ss wool sirt, ls wool shirt, and silk LJs.I woke up cold and tossed a handwarmer into the bottom of the bag- it worked pretty good. I also took a swig of the Tennessee Honey ( the stuff would not last through the night).

It sleeted good and hard for maybe 2 hours and then changed to freezing rain. The morning found my tent covered in ice. I packed up quickly to get hiking to warm up. My toes started out frozen in my shoes but were toasty by the time I crested Hightop. There were several fresh blow downs on the way back. The fog had lifted and I got a few pictures.
      Images
      • Hightop Mtn 11.1.14 017.JPG

593.42 kB, 2,000×1,500, viewed 322 times
      • HightopMthShelter2.jpg

46.22 kB, 512×384, viewed 299 times
      • Hightop Mtn Shelter1.jpg

82.56 kB, 795×596, viewed 316 times
      • Hightop Mtn 11.1.14 021.JPG

1.64 MB, 2,000×1,500, viewed 304 times
      • Hightop Mtn 11.1.14 023.JPG

720.64 kB, 2,000×1,500, viewed 359 times
      • Hightop Mtn 11.1.14 028.JPG

665.33 kB, 2,000×1,500, viewed 324 times
      • Hightop Mtn 11.1.14 032.JPG

796.31 kB, 2,000×1,500, viewed 359 times
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

The post was edited 4 times, last by jimmyjam ().

• Re: Short Trip Up and Down Hightop Mountain SNP

it was a great trip. my little camera and phone really do not do it justice . the wind was unbelievable it sounded like a low flying jet every 30 seconds. it was nice to get out.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference