Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Sitting is the New Smoking?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I believe AK made exactly this same point in a recent post. Maybe he saw the same article.

I believe that sitting is bad for ya! I work in software, in front of a computer all day. Lost my job back on May 1 of this year and since then I've lost nearly 20 lbs. Some of that is from not eating cafeteria food, but I think mostly it's from being out and about more.

Last time I lost this much weight was after a 600 mile hike. Gained it all back in a month or two. :(
    • Re: Sitting is the New Smoking?

i agree sitting at a desk all day is bad for you. I try to stand at mine about half the time- it probably looks wierd to my co- workers what with my head sticking up above all the cubicles - but i don't care.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Yeah, the biologic effects of chronic smoking are very well documented. However, chronic 'sitting' or inactivivty, or sitting in a 'flexed' position many hours a day must be explored or researched a bit more deeply on the average. Where smoking has become 'mainstream' info, the other topic to a degree has not.
    • Rasty wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

Rasty wrote:

The under fifty group in America may live less then the previous generation due to obesity, diabetes, heart disease, etc.

Hyperbole.

Nope.

Guess it doesn't much matter to me since I'm not in the under 50 group.
      Only thing I'm sure of is that I'll die of something, sometime.
      Men in my father's family always died in their early 50s, so I'm already in overtime, and glad to be.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

Rasty wrote:

The under fifty group in America may live less then the previous generation due to obesity, diabetes, heart disease, etc.

Hyperbole.

Nope.

Guess it doesn't much matter to me since I'm not in the under 50 group.
      Only thing I'm sure of is that I'll die of something, sometime.
      Men in my father's family always died in their early 50s, so I'm already in overtime, and glad to be.

And here is to you enjoying many more overtime periods. :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Processed foods is another factor working against us.

They estimate General Douglas MacArthur used to walk about 5 miles a day, mostly from just pacing back and forth in his office. I teach for 4 hours a day on MWF and I am standing up the entire time, sometimes pacing back and forth. I guess I need to switch to a tablet so I can stand and walk around the rest of the time when I am reading and grading.
    • Astro wrote:

Processed foods is another factor working against us.

They estimate General Douglas MacArthur used to walk about 5 miles a day, mostly from just pacing back and forth in his office. I teach for 4 hours a day on MWF and I am standing up the entire time, sometimes pacing back and forth. I guess I need to switch to a tablet so I can stand and walk around the rest of the time when I am reading and grading.

Processed foods ARE a biggie. Have you seen some of these labels... contains everything BUT food. I usually stay on the perimeter of the store with the fresh fruits, veggies, cheeses, meats, etc. I guess the old adage 'everything within moderation' is generally true, I know on some long hikes I eat some crazy stuff :)
    • I almost never eat the stuff I do on the trail while at home. The closest I come to it is I eat plain oatmeal at home and sugary oatmeal on the trail. I used to eat brazil nuts both places. Not anymore. Cashews are taking there place on the trail. I never eat cashews at home. I never eat snickers, macadamia nuts, Reese's pieces, pepperoni sticks, or knorrs sides at home. I eat them all on the trail.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • July wrote:

Astro wrote:

Processed foods ARE a biggie. Have you seen some of these labels... contains everything BUT food. I usually stay on the perimeter of the store with the fresh fruits, veggies, cheeses, meats, etc. I guess the old adage 'everything within moderation' is generally true, I know on some long hikes I eat some crazy stuff :)

July, I like that. In the future I am going to try to send a little more time on the "perimeter" of the store and eat healthier! :)
    • July wrote:

Astro wrote:

We're like you July, we cruise the outside of the store mostly, and then we spend a lot of time reading labels. Sometimes I don't even read them, I pick it up and look at the label and if it has got more than about 10 things in it, no need to read- it goes back on the shelf.

Now when I'm hiking that's a whole different story, while I crave salad and fresh veggies I 'll eat just about anything and sweet stuff which I rarely do off trail.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference