Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

The Hygiene Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The Hygiene Thread

Not seeing one, I am creating one. I am curious as to other's hygiene regimen.

I use a Sea to Summit 10 liter folding bucket. I put a few drops of unscented Dr Bronners into the water. I use my bandana to do a bucket bath. Then I do my laundry in the same bucket. If there is a place to swim, I do that instead. I swim long enough to get clean. I do not take Dr Bronners into the swimming hole. This is part of why I leave early in the morning and arrive early at camp. I want enough time for my clothes to dry.

While at Bill's, this subject came up. I was looked at as a freak because I did not carry wet wipes. I had one women scowl and turn her nose up like she was feeling nauseous at the idea that I did not clean up with wet wipes.

So... is my plan gross? What do other people do?
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

This should probably be in the rant section but one of my pet peeves is the overuse of hand sanitizer. People, we NEED bacteria to have healthy, immune systems. I'm talking about everyday life, not hiking. I consider it a necessary evil when hiking and at work.

Rasty, I need the ability to like something twice (just kidding) :) I cannot remember the last time I was sick. I don't avoid people. I deal with about 100 people a night. I don't get a flu shot. I don't use hand sanitizers except on the trail. I don't worry about getting wet or cold or dirty. Unfiltered water scares the crap out of me though..... literally.

The post was edited 1 time, last by BirdBrain ().

• Allow me to drift back to my query. I count the bucket and bandana as multi use items that I would carry regardless. The bucket is used for laundry and occasionally it makes gathering water for filtering easier. The bandana gets used a ton. I figured that carrying wipes was redundant and heavier than just bringing Bronners and I feel like I am doing a more thorough job. I was just taken back by the reaction at Bill's. The detractor started to say, "But I use them for..." A man there interrupted her with a simple "I know". I felt like a pig that was missing an obvious truth.
    • BB, your system is good. The bucket and soap allow you to clean the bandana and reuse it. I'm slowly moving in the same direction. I tried to use a bandana for hygiene but there was too much potential for cross-contamination. I used it on the places where the sun don't shine then couldn't use it for anything else. So I bought a water hauler from JJ and I'm going to try hanging it from a tree limb, adding soap, and using that. I think in the long run it will save money and grams.

I've never disposed of soapy water while hiking. What's the best way?
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I just couldn't help myself on the previous post.I buy the biodegradable Coleman Wipes at Wally World and spread them out to dry. Then I fold them back up and put them in a ziplock. At the end of the day I re-hydrate a couple and clean up with and either bury them or drop them in the privy. Sometimes if I am really funky I'll take a bird bath with a few drops of Dr Bonners and 6x6 piece of shamwow and pour the water on the ground away from any water source.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I don't like getting my bucket all soapy, so I use it for rinse water. Soapy water goes in my cookpot, which gets that washed, too. A vial of peppermint Dr Bronners, a bandana, a piece of car chamois from the dollar store, and a bit of Tyvek to sit or stand on (that is, my tent footprint) complete the ensemble.

I dispose of greywater according to the land manager's preferences. In New York State Forest Preserve lands, that's sprinkling it over as wide an area as possible, ideally on rock or soil rather than vegetation (as if there's ever any place that's not densely vegetated). In New York City watershed, they prefer that greywater go down a cathole - not one with poop in it, one dug for the purpose - at least 200 feet back from water. Although in practice, a lot of the wash water simply winds up rolling off my Tyvek footprint onto the adjacent soil, because I can be a real drip on the trail.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

This should probably be in the rant section but one of my pet peeves is the overuse of hand sanitizer. People, we NEED bacteria to have healthy, immune systems. I'm talking about everyday life, not hiking. I consider it a necessary evil when hiking and at work.

I found this interesting. After reading so many threads over there that folks no longer bath in streams and have gone to wipes I was shocked as a fat old man how out of touch I was. I love to jump into a cold stream and get the funk off. A bandana and Ivory is all I need. No wipes. Now that I have found that all the viruses are from each other and not the water.... I am now packing the alcohol gel and adding more to it. Besides it makes a good fire starter.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I found this interesting. After reading so many threads over there that folks no longer bath in streams and have gone to wipes I was shocked as a fat old man how out of touch I was. I love to jump into a cold stream and get the funk off. A bandana and Ivory is all I need. No wipes. Now that I have found that all the viruses are from each other and not the water.... I am now packing the alcohol gel and adding more to it. Besides it makes a good fire starter.

I must be getting Old also WOO, love to sit in the creek high in the mountains. Ohhh, and then them Lakes.... :)
    • I love my pack towel & thanks to a mouse I have another one that is now in sections. I hate cold water. I much rathter a warm sponge bath over a cold water swim unless it's really hot. Most of you have seen my pack cover used as a two sink basin for dishes & laundry. Same set up for personal washing. I even made a small tub one time on the PCT out of a few resupply boxes & my pack cover.
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Read my Maine reports again. I jump in every lake, pond, river, steam, brook, rill, and puddle I can find. I don't take soap in with me though. I stay in long enough that soap is not needed.