Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

how do you feel about young children thru hiking?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• how do you feel about young children thru hiking?

there have been more than a few young kids that have successfully completed a thru hike of the at. the family from the south, featured in the barefoot sisters book walking home, last year buddy backpacker, and another family i remember meeting in maine last year.this year, theres a 7 yr old girl who completed the foothills trail in 6 days, and her mom says she is dying to thru hike the at.
      now i'm talking kids under the age of 10.
      although physically it can be done and has been done, but i question what such a hike is doing to their bodies that are just beginning to develop.ive read where some female athletes, long distance runners, actually lose their period when consistently pushing their bodies to the limit.so i wonder what the long term physical effects are as these kids grow older.
      i also question the amount of time spent away from home and children their own age. 5- 6 months is a long time to be away for a kid.although they may be having a blast, could their be a negative effect upon their emotional development?
      what are your thoughts?
      its all good
    • Don't like it.
      Kids don't naturally undertake things long term. Their attention span is short. I believe most would be doing it because they are being made the centre of attention. I think the parents are seeking fame by association.
      I will probably get flamed now but that's my position on it.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • I very much like the hypothetical idea of going on a long distance hike with my soon to be born kid. Not necessarily a thru hike, but something along the lines of two weeks to a month. I can definitely say that nine year old me would have jumped at the chance.

Now ask me in seven to ten years.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Interesting question.

You run a risk mentally with the child - that after a few trips they will never come with you again. I took Austin prior to his tenth birthday on the paved loop to ride his big wheel around Valley Forge Park. He didn't complain but after a mile or two he quit, and would not go any further. Walking was out of the question at that point.

As for short attention span - one only needs to bring a friend about the same age.

I would start small trips and later a long one.... an overnight before the age of ten is pushing it... easier to pitch the tent in the back yard a couple of times... let them get comfortable for the big adventure -that way they can bug out if need be.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • OzJacko wrote:

Dogs and children I think it's wonderful to hike with both.
      But I don't agree with thru hiking a trail like the AT with either.
      It's too long, too hard.

I have to respectfully,OZ, disagree... You know how easy it can be w/proper funding :whistling: ... Now, I'm gonna get flamed... Of all the "Long" trails I have hiked, with my hound, the AT was easy-peasy... The PCT was SOOO logistically hard to hike with him, he was only with me for sections... Yet he was a rock star on the Foot Hills Trail, JMT, BMT, FT, where he earned his BP strips, etc... Just like you have to have a certain mind set to hike long distances, ur hound has to have the same, and SideKick was a perfect match for me...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...
    • Toli wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Dogs and children I think it's wonderful to hike with both.
      But I don't agree with thru hiking a trail like the AT with either.
      It's too long, too hard.

I have to respectfully,OZ, disagree... You know how easy it can be w/proper funding :whistling: ... Now, I'm gonna get flamed... Of all the "Long" trails I have hiked, with my hound, the AT was easy-peasy... The PCT was SOOO logistically hard to hike with him, he was only with me for sections... Yet he was a rock star on the Foot Hills Trail, JMT, BMT, FT, where he earned his BP strips, etc... Just like you have to have a certain mind set to hike long distances, ur hound has to have the same, and SideKick was a perfect match for me...

bella was a pit bull that thru hiked with bluegrass last year. amazing dog, saw her downclimbing the ledges in maine.like toli says, it really does depend on the dog(and the owner)
      its all good
    • Assuming we are not talking about a forced march, that is kids are motivated and willing participants, and that the pace is reasonable (not injury inducing), then I would not worry about long term physical or emotional problems. There may however be long term physical or emotional benefits. I think people (and kids especially) are more resilient than we give them credit for.
    • If anyone has any thought that my hike was easy they have absolutely no effing idea of what I went through last year, physically and emotionally.
      If you haven't hiked at least 500 miles in one go you shouldn't be even attempting to answer this question.
      I have an "easy" 600 mile trail here. A sub 10 year old could do that but I wouldn't recommend it. The AT I would definitely recommend against. Dogs it is more difficult to assess. I saw many. Few should have been attempting a thru. Moose with Whitey Ford was one who did it. I don't think he enjoyed Maine. Brilliant and wonderful dog but I don't think that the 14th state was one he wanted to do.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • I was going to answer, then I saw OZ's post. Sorry OZ, I couldn't help myself.

I agree with HB's concerns.

I met 12 year boy with his mother on Hayes today. He was wearing a shirt that read "this boy has climbed Mt Washington. He asked me if I was going to try to get the 67 4000's. I honestly did not know there were 67. I could not help but be envious of him.

I am not sure if it is all a great idea, but it did make me smile to see him.

Under 10....? Eh.... I think that is really pushing it.

Besides, I am not sure it is a good idea for me to do a thru. Until I figure that out, I will agree with OZ that I am unqualified to judge.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

The post was edited 1 time, last by BirdBrain ().

• OzJacko wrote:

No problem with a young lad like that trying for 67 4000 footers. Huge problem with him doing them all at once. THAT is the problem.

i wonder how they he came up with the idea in the first place. part of my concern is these kids living their parents dreams, not necessarily their own. this 7 yr old girl, according to her parents , says she wants to attempt a thru hike.i dont know that she has any idea what shes facing.i think i'd let her do it, with a parent, but allow her to quit when she wanted to, not trying to push to "finish or fail".she s done the foothills trail in 5 days.
      buddy backpacker is now on the pct after spending most of last year hiking the at. don't you wonder if he ever thinks"where is home?who are my friends?"
      are they gaining something or missing something?
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

are they gaining something or missing something?

Both. Those who do extraordinary things miss out on many ordinary pleasures. It's no different with a child thru-hiker than it is with a musical prodigy, an Olympic athlete in training, or a dedicated young scientist. Some kids seem to arrive on the scene with that sort of passion. I quite agree that it's commoner that the passion is that of the parent, rather than the child, But I don't have a good recipe for how to rescue the second kind of child from the parent without stifling the first kind.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Interesting conversation. I have no clue what to think really since I still only have one very short section under my belt, but there are a lot of points I can see as valid on both sides of this.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • I am kinda mixed on it. One of the choldren (now grown) from the "Family" in the Barefoot sisters books said he hated it. But from what I read in the book their property was siezed for not paying taxes if I recall correctly. I don't know what his alternative would have been. It god pretty dicecy in the Mt Rodgers area accoding to the book & I would never willingly put anyone I love in a situation like that.

Hikers I met when Sunshine (now youngest Triple Crowner) said her dad was pushing her when they ran into her. It was like finish the ice cream quick we have miles to do. The incident gave them a bad feeling. Still all her jurnal I read were always upbeat.

How many potential thru hikers quit because it's not what they thought it would be? Do these kids get dragged along because it became the parents dream & they already spent the money for it?

If the itinerary isn't to hard to a point where it can cause damgae I say go for it as long as the child enjoys it. He/she like any thru hiker may not lke it every day, just as long as thay want to continue. Home school along the way. The life adventure, I can see nothing but positive (If they really want to do it)
    • I'm split on this question. We all know the pluses that completing a long has for us and it is not that much different for kids. While I don't think the vast majority of kids could take on the rigors of a thru-hike, there are some who seem up to the task and driven to hike (like Chipmuck & Sunshine) I'm friendly with Sunshine's Dad and she is still asking to go on hikes with her Dad so she doesn't seem to have hated the triple-crown experience. Little kids just kind of go with whatever mom & dad are doing and their needs can easily get overlooked as parents deal with the rigors of a long hike. Younger kids have a much greater need for play time & socializing with other children - something a family group with several children may be able to meet more easily than a parent(s) with a single child. I know Buddy's parents are making regular stops at libraries and places with other children along the way so Buddy has time with other kids. I'm not concerned about the physical rigor because normal kids play hard every day without damage. What worries me most is being able to meet kids nutritional needs on an on-going basis on a trail diet. With all the educational programs and digital materials available, educating them is doable on a hike.
    • It's a decision the parents and kids have to make and I have no business telling them what to do, for some it would be a great thing and for others a disaster, saw a young couple with a little girl and boy hiking on the AT in deep snow last year...they were having a ball, doing better than I.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I imagine there have been various nomadic tribes throughout history where young children walk great distances with their parents. I would try shorter trips before attempting a thru hike, with or without children, but especially with young children.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does