Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Understanding your joints...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Understanding your joints...

I get little opportunities to discuss cool stuff with good doctors... I need to take them to lunch. I was working with a joint Surgeon last year and I could not get a good answer about Glucosamine and Chondroitin sulfate nutritional supplements. I think he hated the idea of taking those supplements. I talked with my dad and he mentioned that folks that eat oils, proteins and fat prior to nutritionists messing it all up 25 years ago... (don't eat fat exaggeration) We stopped eating Aspics and Gelatin. I don't have arthritis.. I have had a knee scoped and modified after years of bicycling. In years past, people got plenty of gelatin in their diets. Before the move towards processed foods, people consumed much more of an animal than just the muscle meats: chicken-foot soup as well as drumsticks, beef stew not just steaks. As a result, they got a whole-animal balance of amino acids, which provides better support for all sorts of biological processes.

So I did a little more research - I now mix a full packet of jello to directions and add half a packet of Knox Gelatine and I make absoultly sure it melts - dont drop it all in at one spot - it will clump and be useless - I add dried fruit of similar flavors and set. Then I have a couple of tea- to tablespoon size amounts each night before bed. This offers better joint health than the more expensive G &C

Health benefits of gelatin:

Gelatin is loaded with protein ~
      With 6 grams of protein per tablespoon, it’s a great way to add more
      protein to your diet. Even though it is not a complete protein, it
      helps the body fully utilize the complete proteins that are taken in.
      Gelatin improves digestion ~ It naturally binds to water and helps food move through the digestive tract more easily.
      Gelatin can help heal food allergies and intolerance's ~
      Adding gelatin to your diet can heal the lining of your stomach and
      digestive tract. And since food allergies/intolerance's are thought to
      come from a “leaky gut,”
      the idea is that when you heal your digestive tract, you no longer have
      proteins and toxins that create health issues “leaching” into your
      body.
      Gelatin is good for bone and joint health ~
      Gelatin contains lots of amino acids important in helping to prevent
      the weakness and degeneration of cartilage in joints. Gelatin, with
      it’s anti-inflammatory properties, has also been shown to reduce the
      pain and inflammation of arthritis.
      Gelatin helps your body release toxins ~ Glycine, an amino acid found in gelatin, assists the liver to efficiently remove toxins from our system.
      Gelatin gives you better hair, nails, and teeth ~ Gelatin contains keratin, which is a very strong protein found in your hair, nails, teeth and skin.
      Gelatin improves the elasticity of your skin ~
      Gelatin is essentially cooked down collagen. Consuming it will help
      improve the look and feel of your skin much more effectively then hard-
      to- absorb collagen facial creams. Gelatin actually stimulates your
      body to produce more collagen.
      Gelatin helps speed up wound healing ~ One of the amino acids found in gelatin is glycine, which is highly anti-inflammatory.
      Gelatin can improve your quality of sleep ~ Clinical studies
      have shown that not only do people sleep better when consuming the
      amino acid glycine, they report less daytime drowsiness and better
      cognitive function.
      Gelatin can help with weight loss ~ Gelatin
      is thought to increase the production of Human Growth Hormone and to
      boost metabolism. And with it’s nutrient-dense content, it also helps
      with satiety (keeps you full.)
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • I take glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, turmeric, fish oil, and a pile of vitamin I when hiking. Perhaps I need to add gelatin.

I refuse to go under the knife just yet. It was suggested back in 1980. I think I made the right decision. Some day I will have my meniscus issues fixed. Right now I have too much walking I want to do. The ability to see great things on foot far outweigh the pain I endure.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

I take glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, turmeric, fish oil, and a pile of vitamin I when hiking. Perhaps I need to add gelatin.

I refuse to go under the knife just yet. It was suggested back in 1980. I think I made the right decision. Some day I will have my meniscus issues fixed. Right now I have too much walking I want to do. The ability to see great things on foot far outweigh the pain I endure.

BB, I'm just curious...do you do any strength training.?
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I take glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, turmeric, fish oil, and a pile of vitamin I when hiking. Perhaps I need to add gelatin.

I should. I do not. I subscribe to the Isaac Newton school of medicine. An object that is that is in motion tends to stay in motion. The only exercise that I enjoy is running. I did that again this year. I have a very low impact gait. Even so, my knees cannot handle it. Therefore, my exercise consists of work and walking. That is not a good answer. Quite frankly it is a stupid answer. I should strength train. I am not going to though.
    • max.patch wrote:

i have knee pain. 25 years ago i went to a sports doc who prescribed weight training exercises for my legs. there is a direct correlation between the level of knee pain i have and how good i have been about doing my exercises.

That answer is just plain evil.

Display Spoiler
      I worry that my jokes mostly do fly overs. Therefore look at your post count for the punch line. Much of what I type are double entendres.

Display Spoiler
      Lest you post again and spoil my joke. Click on imagine for the "full picture".

The post was edited 1 time, last by BirdBrain ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

BB, do you only take G & C while hiking? I thought you had to take it consistently.

I'm with Max...when I haven't been strength training, I have more pain. Unfortuately, I've been a slacker and haven't lifted weights in a month.

Yes. I take it constantly (when I am not slacking).

Let me offer the following testimonial for glucosamine. I will not offer names. Some people do not like their names broadcast on the net. A friend had a old large dog that could barely walk. It would drag itself around by its front legs. The owner loved the dog. They did not want it to suffer, but struggled with the thought of ending its life. Desperate for answers, they pleaded with the vet for hope. He suggested glucosamine. Some have suggested a placebo effect in glucosamine. The dog had no clue it was taking a supplement. It took about 3 months, but the dog was soon running around like it was half its age. The dog eventually died of old age. I know this story is true. I watched it happen.
    • On my last hike my right knee went bad. It would be OK in the AM but by PM it would hurt to bend it especially if it was bearing weight. More than the pain, it felt very weak. I could not step down with my left knee (as the right would be bearing the weight while stepping), but I could land on my right leg with no pain at all. Going up was the opposite. I couldn't step up with my right (no strength). The pain was not sharp or very localized, but was a bit below and to the outside of the knee. The fact that it would be better in the morning and the pain would build gradually, led me to believe that it was an inflammation problem (temporary and would take care of itself) rather than an injury (permanent until fixed). I saw the Dr. after coming home (apt was actually for an earlier shoulder pain, but was able to talk about the knee too). He agreed. After a few days of rest, the knee was fine.

But the question was this: Could I prevent this from happening next time or will this always be a problem and my backpacking hobby is kaput? He thought that there is no reason to expect I would always have this problem, but did recommend stretching and strength training. We did not talk about dietary supplements. I have been a fan of making chicken soup using chicken backs for broth. I should do that more often. Just like a cold, chicken soup cures everything.
    • I find my trekking poles help. There is a correct way to go up hill and a very different but correct way to go downhill. I can go up all day, but feel excruciating pain going downhill. It would be impossible for me to hike long distances without the proper usage of trekking poles.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

I find my trekking poles help. There is a correct way to go up hill and a very different but correct way to go downhill. I can go up all day, but feel excruciating pain going downhill. It would be impossible for me to hike long distances without the proper usage of trekking poles.

We need an 'agree' button....of course I don't 'like' this....... but I feel your pain :(
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I find my trekking poles help. There is a correct way to go up hill and a very different but correct way to go downhill. I can go up all day, but feel excruciating pain going downhill. It would be impossible for me to hike long distances without the proper usage of trekking poles.

We need an 'agree' button....of course I don't 'like' this....... but I feel your pain :(

I feel my pain.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I have torn menisci (uses ?), had the left one MRIed and the right one does the same so I'm assuming the same issue, doc said the option was to remove 1/3 of the cartilage in the left knee or do nothing, I chose nothing, as long as I don't over do it it's okay...it's just real hard not to over do it...over bending the knee creates the most problem for me. One of the exercise I do is 200 hundred step ups on a platform about 18" high (simulating going up steep hills), 100 each leg, don't know if this makes sense but you are using two muscles, the quads and gluts, I'm trying to train the gluts to start the motion to take pressure off the knee.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

I used my trekking poles all the time. Can't say it was "correct", although I know I am using the straps correctly. The BD straps rock! Otherwise, I guess I could make and entry at the "Things you are doing wrong" thread.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BB, do you only take G & C while hiking? I thought you had to take it consistently.

I'm with Max...when I haven't been strength training, I have more pain. Unfortuately, I've been a slacker and haven't lifted weights in a month.

Yes. I take it constantly (when I am not slacking).

Let me offer the following testimonial for glucosamine. I will not offer names. Some people do not like their names broadcast on the net. A friend had a old large dog that could barely walk. It would drag itself around by its front legs. The owner loved the dog. They did not want it to suffer, but struggled with the thought of ending its life. Desperate for answers, they pleaded with the vet for hope. He suggested glucosamine. Some have suggested a placebo effect in glucosamine. The dog had no clue it was taking a supplement. It took about 3 months, but the dog was soon running around like it was half its age. The dog eventually died of old age. I know this story is true. I watched it happen.

That's a fact brother... When SideKick was 7 years old, I took him to the same Vet he had seen since he was 10 months old, and knew all about our hiking, and told him we were going out again, he told me he could not possibly do another 2000 miles, his joints were wore out... I did not believe him, SideKick was STILL just Diesel on the trail, 85lb Dogg w/15lbs in his pack... So I ran it by my Ortho Doc, and he told me to start giving him glucosamine too... In the next 4 years, he put in prolly another five thousand miles with me, including doing Georgia to the NC. boarder 30+ times??? (I lived in Dahlonega between Woody and Neel Gap on Dick's Creek)... He passed of old age too, and I know in my heart, he was glad I did not put him out to pasture cuz he had "bad joint's"... Tho, I did start callin' him "Grey Ghost" those last 2 years, lol...

Images
      • FD PICNIC BANDANA.jpg

167.34 kB, 720×540, viewed 414 times
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...
    • BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Let's blow this joint, and do some real hiking.

I hope to do just that this weekend.

I will be at the Maine border and heading south. Where will you be?

Somewhere in the SNP or south of there. i haven't decided yet. I've already hiked the area so I will probably just do an overnighter to a nice stealth site with a view.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Drybones wrote:

I have torn menisci (uses ?), had the left one MRIed and the right one does the same so I'm assuming the same issue, doc said the option was to remove 1/3 of the cartilage in the left knee or do nothing, I chose nothing, as long as I don't over do it it's okay...it's just real hard not to over do it...over bending the knee creates the most problem for me. One of the exercise I do is 200 hundred step ups on a platform about 18" high (simulating going up steep hills), 100 each leg, don't know if this makes sense but you are using two muscles, the quads and gluts, I'm trying to train the gluts to start the motion to take pressure off the knee.

Strengthening your hamstrings will also help.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I should. I do not. I subscribe to the Isaac Newton school of medicine. An object that is that is in motion tends to stay in motion. The only exercise that I enjoy is running. I did that again this year. I have a very low impact gait. Even so, my knees cannot handle it. Therefore, my exercise consists of work and walking. That is not a good answer. Quite frankly it is a stupid answer. I should strength train. I am not going to though.

TJ, you might be proud of me. I am doing this now.

health.howstuffworks.com/welln…medies-for-knee-pain2.htm

I have pain in my right hip in the kidney area. I guess I should not be so stubborn
      Display Spoiler
      and a little less stupid
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

Understanding your joints can be very helpful in social circles.
      Here are a few examples that may help during normal conversation.
      joint - a cigarette roled that contains ganja. When smoked results in complete relaxation, and the general desire to do absolutly nothing. Will also unleash ur most random inner thoughts and theories on life.
      A Joint will help u through times of no money far better than money will help you throught times of no joint.

spliff - A joint rolled with tobacco in it. Often spliffs use a high ratio of marijuana to tobacco, but when hash is used or marijuana is of high quality (See Headies), this ratio can be decreased to conserve.

Spliffs are traditionally rolled in the european cone style, but in general refers to the tobacco content more than particular form.

Note, this can be used as a verb whilst rolling to describe the act of adding tobacco, hence "spliff it".
      "We should roll a nice spliff and go for a drive" or
      "You should spliff it, this stuff is very good" or
      "That spliff is a really fat cone, good job!"

blunt - The arguably second best way to smoke the Good Herb (second only to a sick ass Bubbler or a phat Bong). They come in all sizes, but only one shape and color - Long/cylindrical, and brown. Like papers, you can find blunts (cigars) or blunt wraps (an un-rolled cigar with no tobacco rolled up inside) at almost any gas station for as cheap as 50 cents a wrap. Compared to papers, blunts last longer, taste better, give bigger hits, and you can fit massive amounts of the Good Herb into one without having to put multiple wraps together. If you're a fan of joints but have never smoked a nice blunt, do yourself and all your smoking buddies a favor and go to your nearest gas station and pick up some blunts. They come in all different flavors, such as Mango, Peach, Strawberry, Grape (my personal favorite), Kush (in some places), Blueberry, etc. Once you're back home get some of your finest Herb nice and ground up, lay it down real sweet-like in your favorite flavor of blunt, and start closing that big brown beauty of a blunt around the weed starting from one end and working down to the other. Don't be afraid to get that bitch as wet as it needs to be - it'll dry out real quick. (However, I've found that keeping the blunt kind of moist during the smokage makes it last even longer. Just make sure it ain't soaked). Once its ready to go, stick it in your mouth, apply some flame, and damn! Now you're smoking like a real OG.
      Joo: Hey Klotzy, hit this joint I just rolled!

Klotzy: Man, don't give me that puzzy ass spliff, let my man Dionne and me show you how it's done.
      *Dionne and Klotzy rip up Joo's joint and proceed to roll a fat ass grape blunt.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • milkman wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Understanding your joints can be very helpful in social circles.
      Here are a few examples that may help during normal conversation.
      joint - a cigarette roled that contains ganja. When smoked results in complete relaxation, and the general desire to do absolutly nothing. Will also unleash ur most random inner thoughts and theories on life.
      A Joint will help u through times of no money far better than money will help you throught times of no joint.

spliff - A joint rolled with tobacco in it. Often spliffs use a high ratio of marijuana to tobacco, but when hash is used or marijuana is of high quality (See Headies), this ratio can be decreased to conserve.

Spliffs are traditionally rolled in the european cone style, but in general refers to the tobacco content more than particular form.

Note, this can be used as a verb whilst rolling to describe the act of adding tobacco, hence "spliff it".
      "We should roll a nice spliff and go for a drive" or
      "You should spliff it, this stuff is very good" or
      "That spliff is a really fat cone, good job!"

blunt - The arguably second best way to smoke the Good Herb (second only to a sick ass Bubbler or a phat Bong). They come in all sizes, but only one shape and color - Long/cylindrical, and brown. Like papers, you can find blunts (cigars) or blunt wraps (an un-rolled cigar with no tobacco rolled up inside) at almost any gas station for as cheap as 50 cents a wrap. Compared to papers, blunts last longer, taste better, give bigger hits, and you can fit massive amounts of the Good Herb into one without having to put multiple wraps together. If you're a fan of joints but have never smoked a nice blunt, do yourself and all your smoking buddies a favor and go to your nearest gas station and pick up some blunts. They come in all different flavors, such as Mango, Peach, Strawberry, Grape (my personal favorite), Kush (in some places), Blueberry, etc. Once you're back home get some of your finest Herb nice and ground up, lay it down real sweet-like in your favorite flavor of blunt, and start closing that big brown beauty of a blunt around the weed starting from one end and working down to the other. Don't be afraid to get that bitch as wet as it needs to be - it'll dry out real quick. (However, I've found that keeping the blunt kind of moist during the smokage makes it last even longer. Just make sure it ain't soaked). Once its ready to go, stick it in your mouth, apply some flame, and damn! Now you're smoking like a real OG.
      Joo: Hey Klotzy, hit this joint I just rolled!

Klotzy: Man, don't give me that puzzy ass spliff, let my man Dionne and me show you how it's done.
      *Dionne and Klotzy rip up Joo's joint and proceed to roll a fat ass grape blunt.

UHH pass what ever you are doing... I have never seen such a deep post before... Apparently I need to do this from the master. Have you achieved karma? I will take a pass on the spelling errors...
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • I smoked one cigarette in my life. I was 11. I did not do it to be cool or fit in or pretend I was doing it. I stole it from my 14 year old sister. I inhaled the whole thing. It was the first time I ever pray to God. I said, "God, if you will get me through this, I will never touch another one in my life". I understand that once you have the habit, it is brutal to get rid of it. I just never understood how people get the habit. But then again, I don't do "cool" things just to fit in. A little while later, my sister introduced me to something that actually had a desirable effect. I understand that habit. I did that very frequently until I was 19. On 11/18/80 I found something better. I have no need or desire for that sort of thing anymore. It is a beautiful thing.