Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

What do you do about pockets?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What do you do about pockets?

There are quite a few things that I want to have handy when hiking, several times per day, without having to take my pack off. I'm a bit undecided what to do about it and I was wondering what other do.

I found the belt pouches I bought to go with my pack were too small, and even the small size tended to interfere with my arm swing because they are on the side of the belt, right on the hip. Located on the hip made things a little hard to reach. So on the day before my hike, I swapped those belt pouches out for an old fanny pack which rides right in front. In that I kept my pack "towel" (more like a microfiber wash cloth), qt sized zip lock back with maps and trail data/mileage, small hand sanitizer, snack sized zip lock with the day's rations of trail mix, a granola bar, cell phone (old flip phone) and camera. Sometimes my knife and fork ('cause they kept getting lost in my food bag). It worked pretty well for me. Since the fanny pack rests on top of the backpack buckle, putting them on took a bit of practice, but I eventually figured it out, although I though about making some modification so that the fanny pack attaches to the pack buckle rather than having one of its own. I strap two water bottles to my pack straps with bungies. That also worked well. For all these other things, it seems that the only other option might be use pants or shirt pockets, but it was nice not having to load up my pockets with too much stuff. In my pockets I had a small SAK on a key ring with an emergency whistle, wallet, eye glass cleaning cloth, and a pen.

Does using a fanny pack make me too much of a dork to be a real hiker? What do you do with all the stuff you want to have on hand while walking?
    • My little cuben fiber bag holds my keys, cash, and cards and stays in my skirt or pants pocket. My cell phone stays in my front pocket because it's my camera. I keep one or two things in my hip belt pockets. Otherwise, I'm happy to take the pack off for a few minutes to get whatever else I need. I usually need the break.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Re: What do you do about pockets?

I keep those little things in my hip belt pockets and shorts pockets. I did make a front chest pocket similar to what zpacks sells but i found it bounced around too much for my liking- but i may revisit the design one day. I think your fanny pack is a fair solution and i wouldn't be concerned about wheather anyone thinks its dorky. I am always more concerned about function than looks.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • The Granite Gear Crown 60 I use has two stretch pockets, one on each side for water bottles and what ever, and a large stretch pocket on the back. I put my rain gear, tent, ground cloth and a few odds and end in the back pocket so I can access them without opening the pack, I put my water bottle, lunch, snacks, and any other items I know I need during the day in the side stretch pockets, I have a small hip belt pocket I added for the camera, bleach and anything I may need on a regular basis during the day, if I take a layer off it goes under my roll top straps...I'm much happier with this set up than the packs I have with lots of pockets and a lid...I've come to hate lids.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • A few pages of AWOL's guide go in a sealed plastic bag that fits in my pocket. I have an Eagle Creek neck pouch that acts as my wallet and also holds my keys and cell phone. Everything else goes in the pack, which I do not mind taking off several times each day. The bottles (water and fuel) ride in back in a stretch pocket. Hygiene, Aquamira, Crystal Light, knife, headlamp, batteries, tape, and compass go in the lid.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • I haven't been able to get stuff out the side pocket while wearing the pack, but to be honest, I haven't tried real hard either. My pack has very generous side pouches. I seemed to put different things in there every day. Sometimes it was my extra water (had to pack 3.5L on some days). Some days it was rain coat, toilet kit, and water filter. My shirt chest pocket seems to be either under my pack strap, too small, or non-existent. I'm OK with my wallet in my back pocket. If I carry it elsewhere, I have a mini-panic attack about 50 times a day when I subconsciously reach for it and find it "missing". Still trying different ways of packing things.
    • Hip belt pockets on the ULA holds most of what I need like camera headlamp phone.
      Guide book usually in pants pocket (cargo type pocket).
      Spoon, tp and poncho type items in mesh pocket on back of pack.
      Water bottles can be reached from pack side pockets without removing pack.
      Sometimes carry a small water bottle on shoulder strap. Other shoulder strap I use the loops to hold bucket hat and buff when not wearing them.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Done that, tried it... was that not a 2000 thing... much like the 90's - came and went...

Years ago I called up my dad told him what we were doing on the weekend and he showed up at the trail head without a pack. Everything was in his pockets - he looked like a English Gentleman strolling across the countryside. He didn't forget anything, He could have survived a week if the trail passed a pub each night. You would be surprised how little you need to carry today.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup: