Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Big Creek to Mt. Sterling

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Big Creek to Mt. Sterling

Thursday I hiked one of the best loop hikes in the GSMNP, Big Creek to Mt. Sterling. Big Creek is on the North Carolina side of the Smokey's, close to Asheville. The trailhead is really close to the I-40 exit, making it convenient to anyone passing through that area. The first 5 miles on Big Creek Trail is practically flat and passes several waterfalls and a deep pool. My only goal was to take my time and enjoy the day and this is a great place to do that. I stopped several times on Big Creek Trail to sit and enjoy the deep pool, Midnight Hole, and several water falls.

At mile 5.1, I headed up Swallow Fork Trail which was a bit steeper. After 4 miles, I reached the top and saw the Benton Mackaye Trail sign. I was excited because this was my first section on the BMT. As I was sitting quietly in the clearing at the junction of Swallow Fork and Mt. Sterling Ridge Trail, I saw a small deer. Turning left, I continued 1.8 miles to Mt. Sterling. There were several people already camping but I found a nice, flat spot to set up my tent. I had enough water for dinner so I didn't walk to the water source which was 0.4 mi down the trail. I also didn't climb the fire tower, epic fail on my part. I decided to wait until the next morning because the weather forecast said it would be clear. It started raining during the night and was foggy the next morning so I quickly packed up and headed to the water source where I made coffee and ate breakfast.

I was a little worried about the hike down from Mt. Sterling as several trip reports I read described it as "brutal". I also read HB's report that described it as "pretty easy" so I didn't know what to expect. It definitely isn't brutal unless you have really bad knees. It was in the moderate category for me. It rained the next several hours as I hiked down to Big Creek but it was a nice rain and a rainy day in the mountains is 100 times better than a sunny day at work. I recommend this loop hike for anyone short on time but wanting big rewards. I would avoid hiking it on a weekend as it's a popular area.

trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/10742
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().