Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

15th Annual Appalachian Trail BBQ, Trail Work, Campout at Mile 1,424 ( at the RPH Cabin in NY)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 15th Annual Appalachian Trail BBQ, Trail Work, Campout at Mile 1,424 ( at the RPH Cabin in NY)

If you're looking for a fun weekend on the trail just CLICK HERE........

It's a weekend, July 11- 13, at the RPH cabin in NY. It consists of maintenance on the trail and cabin, large
      amounts of food, meeting thru hikers, and camping on the cabin grounds. This
      work party is just as much about fun as it is about work, so come on out and
      plan on having a good time with fellow supporters of the AT.
      If you leave now you can be there in time :D and I hope to see you there!
      Kathy and I have done this work party a number of times and never been disappointed.
    • OK, if anybody is considering this work trip, here's more info........................

Have Fun Improving the Appalachian Trail in New York

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday - July 11, 12 and 13 (15th year!)

Meet interesting people, including local volunteers and thru-hikers!

Enjoy great food for free, sponsored by the Ralph’s Peak Hikers Cabin Volunteers Club!

Directions: Taconic State Parkway to exit for Miller Hill Road. Go west. Turn left on Hortontown Road. The

cabin is on the right after the large open field. It is recommended that you park off-pavement on the east side of

Hortontown Road, opposite the cabin. If you park at the cabin, please leave your name and cell phone number in

the window of your vehicle. Appalachian Trail mile 1,424

Meet at RPH Cabin at 8:00 a.m. each day. Camping on the shelter grounds and offsite overflow

camping is available.

Address for Google Maps or Mapquest: 753 Hortontown Road, Hopewell Junction, NY 12533

Food and ice donations greatly appreciated!

This year’s projects include the Stormville Mountain stone steps, finish painting the Seth Lyon Memorial Bridge, small

bridge construction, weeding and cleaning of the Gerry Messerich Memorial Flower Garden, painting and weed whacking

near RPH Cabin, carpentry work on the cabin, water bar cleanup and restoration, campsite maintenance at Morgan

Stewart Shelter, and MORE!

For more information, please see our website: rphcabin.org

Before the work weekend, contact Tim Messerich 845-297-9573 or bascomgrillmaster@yahoo.com

During the work weekend, reach us at 860-479-1424 or workweekend@rphcabin.org

Tools / Supplies needed: Please bring you own first aid kit, safety glasses and hard hat if you own one. Paint

brushes; heavy duty rope for log hauling, picks, rakes, draw knife, hand saw, carpentry tools, nails, lag bolts,

rebar, shovels, wheelbarrows, loppers / shears, and plastic buckets. Be sure to put your name on your tools.

Please note: no chain saws are allowed.
    • This is what the work party this weekend did. I only worked on the staircase. The RPH club built the wall and bridge. Whenever I walk up something like this.....SOBO from rt.9 Vt, or the south face of Bear Mtn. Ny., I've always wondered how these things got here.....now I know......................more later! :thumbsup:

You will find this staircase South of Morgan Stewart Shelter, as you come to Stormville Mtn. Road, where it crosses Interstate 84 in New York
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • A few more pix from the RPH event. The food was great, ESPECIALLY the cheesecake. Yumm.

I have a new appreciation for the work that goes into a "simple" project like this. Wish I lived closer to the trail so I could do this more often.
      Images
      • 20140711_184120.jpg

612.9 kB, 1,500×844, viewed 353 times
      • 20140713_104803.jpg

614.98 kB, 1,500×844, viewed 344 times
      • 20140713_104955.jpg

561.1 kB, 1,500×844, viewed 361 times
      • 20140713_152400.jpg

578.01 kB, 844×1,500, viewed 330 times
    • Astro wrote:

Why the hard hats? Is it an OSHA or Insurance rule or something? ?(

It's just a good idea. Folks are swinging heavy tools around, mattucks and rock bars and what-not. I spent a lot of time smashing up rocks and it would have been dangerous to do that without eye protection and hard hat. Last time I volunteered (locally) it was an AMC-organized thing, and they insisted we wear hard hats while swinging any kind of tool.
    • Unfortunately Kathy and I were only able to go to the RPH annual work party for Saturday. We arrived at 10AM and all the "good" jobs were gone. So we spent some hours cleaning out water bars both north and south of the cabin. Then as the party part of work party started to unwind we enjoyed the company of Coach Lou, Over Load, and Rafe as well as many others. Once dinner was done and the desert was unveiled I made sure to get a piece of the CHEESE CAKE. Great job Over Load! Nice to meet you and Rafe too.

The rest of you can start planning for next year. I believe this work party is always (almost) the 2nd weekend of July.
    • I believe last year it was the day after we went through. There was someone preparing for it. Went through middle of the day, didn't stay.
      RPH is the acronym for our major hospital so my main interest at the time was finding out what the initials stood for.
      Trail maintenance standards through New Jersey and New York were very high.
      I have immense admiration and respect for the volunteers that maintain all hiking trails (except a couple in northern PA).
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.