Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Non-trip report

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Non-trip report

This probably should have been posted someplace else but I'm still exploring the new software.
      Kathy and I had planned to go to Maine this year and hike another part of the AT but the plan is off.
      Instead, Kathy has decided to work this summer. I'm kind of disappointed and bummed out but I'll get over it.
      Last summer we hiked the Great Allegheny Passage, so it will be at least 2 summers that we miss the AT.
      The real problem is that we decided years ago that I wouldn't retire until we finished the trail from Harper's Ferry through Maine.
      Keep this up and I may never get to retire.
    • Re: Non-trip report

LIhikers wrote:

All good advice.
      To be honest, I love the work I do and I'm not ready to stop doing it just yet.
      I'm more upset about not doing a section of the AT this summer than the retirement thing.
      And even more than that, I don't want to do a section without Kathy.

I wish I could get my better half to go section hiking, but she will only day hike. You are lucky . But at least mine still lets me go.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

All good advice.
      To be honest, I love the work I do and I'm not ready to stop doing it just yet.
      I'm more upset about not doing a section of the AT this summer than the retirement thing.

I wish I could get my better half to go section hiking, but she will only day hike. You are lucky . But at least mine still lets me go.

I'm taking a week hike in July. Part of the deal was my wife was gone for a week in Feb for a mission trip to Haiti, so it was hard for her to argue against letting me go. On the other hand when I asked my adult daughter (home visiting this week) where I should hike next year, wife chimes in with "you want to go for a hike EVERY year?". It's a work in progress....
    • TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

That's really sweet :)

It's not that I'm such a considerate guy, it's just practical. If I do a section without her, some time in the future she'll insist on making it up.
      We already have a very short piece of the AT in NH that we have to make up. It was too steep to go down with the dog. Wildcat D, if that's what it was called.
      I think Kathy will have a few days off the 3rd week in August. I feel a quick road trip comin on :)

Oh, and I know how lucky I am to be able to enjoy this with my spouce :) :)
      I've talked to plenty of people who wish they could get their spouce to do even a 1 night trip
    • LIhikers wrote:

We already have a very short piece of the AT in NH that we have to make up. It was too steep to go down with the dog. Wildcat D, if that's what it was called.

Yeah, I'd imagine that even Tora the Wonder Dog would have some difficulty with the Wildcats. Reminds me of one time last summer when a party with a 110-pound Alsatian were at the top of Cornell Mountain in the Catskills. The dog had somehow made it there, but had been so traumatized after a fall on the east side of Slide that he was balking at going down Cornell in either direction. One of the party was hiking out to get dog food, because they were going to wind up spending the night up there. I always wondered what happened to them all. I couldn't for the life of me think of a way to help, so I hiked on, but not without regrets. He was a nice dog, but scared to death!
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Well, I've got another non-trip report.
      Got a couple more bag/tent nights this weekend.
      Kathy and I joined some friends camping at a county park.
      It was the funniest sight, them all in their camping trailers of various sizes and us in our Tarptent. :thumbsup:
      We were out in the Hamptons, hanging out with the not so rich and famous.

There was a good amount of wildlife deer, turkey, owls, chipmunk, many kinds of birds, and raccoons, lots and lots of raccoons.
    • A group of us hiked up to McDill Point on the Pinhoti late Saturday evening to catch the sunset, then a night hike back out, 10-12 of us hiked down to Cheaha Falls afterwards to camp and swim in the pool under the falls, water was perfect, painful to enter but just right once you were in.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.