Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Lyme Disease

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Lyme Disease

Well, it finally happened, I knew it was just a matter of time.
      My wife has had it, our best friend has had it, and even our dog has had it.
      It looks like I've got Lyme Disease, by the classic "bulls eye" on my right leg.
      It started off as a red spot the size of a quarter and for a week got a little bigger each day.
      Then 2 days ago the appearance of the spot changed, plus it's now about 5 inches in diameter.
      I have a doctor's appointment for latter today and I'll see if he agrees with my self diagnosis.
      I believe this is a result of a car camping trip here on Long Island that the wife and I did in the early part of June.
    • LIhikers wrote:

It looks like I've got Lyme Disease, by the classic "bulls eye" on my right leg.
      It started off as a red spot the size of a quarter and for a week got a little bigger each day.
      Then 2 days ago the appearance of the spot changed, plus it's now about 5 inches in diameter.
      I have a doctor's appointment for latter today and I'll see if he agrees with my self diagnosis.
      I believe this is a result of a car camping trip here on Long Island that the wife and I did in the early part of June.

Any news from the doc?
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • LIhikers wrote:

figures it would happen close to home. we've got a pretty bad tick problem here on long island.
      let's hope the doc caught it early enough to knock it out.
      good luck!
      its all good
    • Saw the doctor yesterday and he's not convinced that it's Lyme disease.
      He said that by the time the rash developed to the point it is that I should have had fever and chills, joint aches and pains, and unexplained head aches. I haven't had any of that. Of course he didn't offer any other opinions as to what it might be. He did send blood out to be tested so we'll see. Unless he knows for sure it's something else I'll probably press him for the antibiotics for the Lyme.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Saw the doctor yesterday and he's not convinced that it's Lyme disease.
      He said that by the time the rash developed to the point it is that I should have had fever and chills, joint aches and pains, and unexplained head aches. I haven't had any of that. Of course he didn't offer any other opinions as to what it might be. He did send blood out to be tested so we'll see. Unless he knows for sure it's something else I'll probably press him for the antibiotics for the Lyme.

Ringworm
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Ringworm

Usually will have a couple of dozen ringworm marks all over.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Ringworm

Usually will have a couple of dozen ringworm marks all over.

True. I had ringworm once. Got it from a dog. I had one ring. I thought ringworm from the beginning of this thread. Likely wrong, but that seldom stops me from having an opinion.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

max.patch wrote:

isn't ringworm obvious? especially for a doctor.

That fact is what kept me from posting said opinion.... initially.

All four of us had it a ways back when we got a new cat. Three of us had the classic rings but my youngest had marks that looked more like abrasions then rings.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Been nearly 50 years since I had to deal with ringworm. But I still remember it enough to where I never wanted to own a cat.

For Llhiker I hope that is what it is. No fun, but still a lot better than dealing with lyme disease.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • CoachLou wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Bears and snakes don't scare me nearly as much as ticks and spiders. Never had lyme but I have been bitten by a black widow.

When I was stationed in J-ville,NC, I keep some in a jar. The 1st sgt. was not amused :whistling:

Was he worried about the poor spiders welfare?
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • LIhikers wrote:

Well, the blood test came back negative for Lyme disease and what looked lick the classic bulls eye has morphed into an all red rash that's lighter in color than it was. Think I'll wait a week and see what happens. If the rash is still there I'll go see the doc again.

If it's not lyme it must be cooties.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Well, the blood test came back negative for Lyme disease and what looked lick the classic bulls eye has morphed into an all red rash that's lighter in color than it was. Think I'll wait a week and see what happens. If the rash is still there I'll go see the doc again.

Ringworm. Put Lotrimin on it. Can't hurt.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I used rubbing alcohol and lotrimin a couple of times a day for a few weeks.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I used rubbing alcohol and lotrimin a couple of times a day for a few weeks.

I am honestly not being silly.... this time. His symptoms sound exactly like what I went through last year. I agree with MP that it should be very obvious to a doctor. But hey... if it ain't lyme it could be a fungus.

Sounds like ringworm to me....
    • Rasty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Cooties is not curable. Just ask a 7 year old.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Takes 6 years to cure. By the time they are 13 it's cured.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Takes 6 years to cure. By the time they are 13 it's cured.

I must be about 12.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Do you mean that scar on my wrist that my friend and I gave each other back in elementary school is not protecting me from cooties??? Oh no.....
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • LIhikers wrote:

A while back I saw what I initially thought was a drop of blue ointment on my palm, I'd been treating a dogs torn pad, turned out to be a tick had attached itself in the crease of my palm, pulled it off and didn't think much about it except for where it bit me, only had one get me in a more odd place but we wont go there, I developed a circle of red around it and it itched for months, thought at the time it might be lyme but it seems to have passed.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • LIhikers wrote:

What was the final verdict on your rash?
      Display Spoiler
      I bet it was ringworm. Do I needle too much?
    • BirdBrain wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

What was the final verdict on your rash?
      Display Spoiler
      I bet it was ringworm. Do I needle too much?

Well I've felt fine all along, and the "rash" turned into something that looked like a giant black and blue mark, as if I hit the spot on my leg with something. It's been gone for a long time and I'm feeling fine, all with no medical intervention.