Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Harpers Ferry!!!? / Crunch time!!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Harpers Ferry!!!? / Crunch time!!

I might get to hike some of the AT near Harpers Ferry come July!!!! :woohoo: I'm so, SOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!! gif.005 My sister has a training there to go to and I might get to come with her!!! 49.gif So the plan is!!.... We'll hike a few days, then turn back, she'll go to the training and then we'll come home. :P

BUT ITS CRUNCH TIME!!! I have to get my gear together(and so does my sister)!!!

Whats a basic gear/supplies list for just a few days hike in the woods? I know theres gobbles of this on the internet, but I want your guys(and gals!) suggestions and opinions!
      I'm thinking of using a tarp for shelter, thoughts?
      Pack and bag I haven't figured out yet..
      I don't have a sleeping pad, but I have a yoga mat!! Maybe I don't need that though..

Thoughts, Ideas and Advice - MUCH APPRECIATED!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

p.s. Should this be under a different category? Something to do with gear? I am trip planning!! :silly:
      "You've got what it takes. But it will take everything you've got."
    • Re:Harpers Ferry!!!? / Crunch time!!

In it's simplest you need a tarp, ground cloth, foam pad, sleeping bag, pack and some mosquito netting this time of year. Add a couple of water bottles, rain jacket, extra pair of socks. It's June in the mid Atlantic lowlands so you will survive with very little gear.

Bug spray too
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Just a couple of random thoughts...

I've hiked in July and only needed a sheet, no bag.

A yoga mat is too thin to use for comfort but it would be a barrier between you and the ground. You're young and can probably get away with less padding.

Everyone hates them, but I stayed at shelters before I ever bought a tent.

Whatever you plan on using, always test it first.
      Lost in the right direction.

Take as little clothing as possible. You can wear the same underthings, shirt, and shorts/pants for many days. You only need a set of clothes to hike in and a set to sleep in.

Keep the sleeping clothes dry at all costs! Put them in a garbage bag with your sleeping bag or sheet.

If the hiking clothes get wet, no big deal. Put them on anyway in the morning.

TrafficJam wrote:

Take as little clothing as possible. You can wear the same underthings, shirt, and shorts/pants for many days. You only need a set of clothes to hike in and a set to sleep in.

Keep the sleeping clothes dry at all costs! Put them in a garbage bag with your sleeping bag or sheet.

Sometimes they dry faster hiking with them in the morning, than they did hanging up all of the night before.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

Or put them between your sleeping bag & pad so your body heat dries them. It's a lot nicer putting on warm damp clothes than cold wet ones.
      ! gif.013

Astro wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Sometimes they dry faster hiking with them in the morning, than they did hanging up all of the night before.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I'm hiking 6 days in VA (near Roanoke) in about a month. I was going to take 2 pairs underwear, 2 pairs of socks, long pants, hiking shirt, rain jacket, and a hat. I have 150 wt merino long johns and top and knit cap for sleeping (may also throw in some fleece booties). My wife doesn't understand the "one pair of hiking clothes" strategy so I may pack a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, if nothing else to make her happy.
    • odd man out wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I'm hiking 6 days in VA (near Roanoke) in about a month. I was going to take 2 pairs underwear, 2 pairs of socks, long pants, hiking shirt, rain jacket, and a hat. I have 150 wt merino long johns and top and knit cap for sleeping (may also throw in some fleece booties). My wife doesn't understand the "one pair of hiking clothes" strategy so I may pack a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, if nothing else to make her happy.

On my first backpacking trip, I packed a clean pair of underwear and shirt for every day. On my last trip, I wore the same underwear and clothes for 4 days :D .
    • odd man out wrote:

Change into them just before she picks you up.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

while i agree with this, i just want to point out that wingfoot would take 5 lightweight soccer shirts so as to have a clean dry shirt to start off every day.
      2,000 miler
    • LIhikers wrote:

My wife and I started our section hiking of the AT at Harper's Ferry one summer. We hiked north in Maryland and didn't use a sleeping bag. Instead, we each had a $15 dollar (in 2001 dollars) fleece blanket. It was warm enough, light weight, and packed pretty small.

when i was in gettysburg on my thru i bought a bed sheet at the dollar store and mailed my sleeping bag ahead a week. the sheet worked great. when i caught up to my bag i mailed it ahead another week. 3-4 days later an unseasonable cold spell came thru and i just about froze my azz off.

when i left gettysburg i ran into a friend that was just coming into town. i told him what i was going to try re the bag. he thot it was a good idea and did the same thing i did. when the cold spell hit he actually hitched ahead to the post office to catch up to his bag.
      2,000 miler
    • TrafficJam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

On my first backpacking trip, I packed a clean pair of underwear and shirt for every day. On my last trip, I wore the same underwear and clothes for 4 days :D .

I've gotten so that when I am out on a section and pass people on the trail, I no longer need to ask them whether they are a thru hiker or other. I can tell by the smell as we pass- smell them before you pass it's a thru, smell 'em as you pass it's a sectioner, no smell as you pass weekender, smell of cologne or perfume its a day hiker.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I've gotten so that when I am out on a section and pass people on the trail, I no longer need to ask them whether they are a thru hiker or other. I can tell by the smell as we pass- smell them before you pass it's a thru, smell 'em as you pass it's a sectioner, no smell as you pass weekender, smell of cologne or perfume its a day hiker.

Be carful with the smell test, it doesn't always work.
      My wife Kathy and I were taking a break in Kinsman Notch while out for a section hike. As we got ready to head up the other side we applied liberal doses of bug repellant. As we started up the other side a couple was coming down. The comment we got was something like "You must be just starting out, you smell too clean." Kathy and I laughed about that for the rest of the trip cause under the bud dope we stunk as bad as you'd expect us to. The other couple was fooled by the smell of Eucalyptus oil in the repellant.
    • LIhikers wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Be carful with the smell test, it doesn't always work.
      My wife Kathy and I were taking a break in Kinsman Notch while out for a section hike. As we got ready to head up the other side we applied liberal doses of bug repellant. As we started up the other side a couple was coming down. The comment we got was something like "You must be just starting out, you smell too clean." Kathy and I laughed about that for the rest of the trip cause under the bud dope we stunk as bad as you'd expect us to. The other couple was fooled by the smell of Eucalyptus oil in the repellant.

I never noticed other hikers' stench. I only notice when they smell clean.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

My wife and I started our section hiking of the AT at Harper's Ferry one summer. We hiked north in Maryland and didn't use a sleeping bag. Instead, we each had a $15 dollar (in 2001 dollars) fleece blanket. It was warm enough, light weight, and packed pretty small.

when i was in gettysburg on my thru i bought a bed sheet at the dollar store and mailed my sleeping bag ahead a week. the sheet worked great. when i caught up to my bag i mailed it ahead another week. 3-4 days later an unseasonable cold spell came thru and i just about froze my azz off.

when i left gettysburg i ran into a friend that was just coming into town. i told him what i was going to try re the bag. he thot it was a good idea and did the same thing i did. when the cold spell hit he actually hitched ahead to the post office to catch up to his bag.

During the summer I take a 40* bag, but sleep on top of it sometimes.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Thanks so much!!! Very helpful to me!!! I've been building a list of everything I'll take and feeling like I have things semi covered. I think. Our party has actually doubled, since 3 of my other sisters want to come too. So they've been researching too and we're planning to test as much as we can in the coming weeks!! Probably a 3 day test. Our hiking trip will only be about 5 days.

Lol! Funny about the hiker "smell test". Now I want to fool everybody though.. Should I go for the stinky stench and make people think I'm a thru!, or the perfumed approach and be a day hiker?? I'll go for the latter for nose's sake.. Naw, seriously though, I think my baking soda works really well. Sport tested, though not trail tested..
    • Okay!! So heres my list so far.. *Note, 5 day hike..

-Pack
      -Tent
      -Sheet or fleece blanket
      -Yoga mat for sleeping pad
      -Flashlight
      -Journal and pen

-2 hiking outfit (1 worn, 1 in pack)
      -1 jammies
      -2 pair socks (1 worn, 1 in pack)
      -2 sets undergarments (1 worn, 1 in pack)
      -Tennis shoes (worn)
      -Rain Jacket
      -Hat
      -Sunglasses

-Tooth brush
      -2 sm containers of baking soda
      -Handsoap in a sm sealed squeeze bottle
      -Feminine products
      -Hair brush/hair bands
      -Bug spray

-Duct tape
      -Toilet paper
      -Extra batteries for flashlight
      -First Aid kit
      -Cellphone
      -Camera

-Water bottle
      -Sawer Squeeze water filter
      -Peanut butter
      -Carrots
      -Powdered milk
      -Granola
      -Canned salmon
      -Dehydrated veggie, fruit and jerky
      -Vitamins
      -Banana oatmeal cookies
      -Apple cider vinegar

Lol! Is this over doing it?? Or am I missing something vital?? What do you think? :) Some of the food items are for my dad, who is coming too, and has a rather restricted diet.
      Also, my dad has hemophilia, basically his blood has trouble clotting and gets bruises easily. Anyone have information on this sided with hiking?
    • I think it looks great. Good job on your first gear list! If you are like me, you will spend all your extra money over the next few years upgrading :).

This is what works for me but doesn't mean it will work for you. Everyone has their own needs and comfort level...but I quit carrying extra batteries for my headlamp. I usually go to bed when it gets dark and only use my headlamp to read or go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I also don't like messing too much with soap as it uses a lot of water, so mostly use hand sanitizer. I take soap leaves but don't use them often, only when I feel particularly nasty.

Others with more experience...please chime in.

Your dad...if he's on medication, make sure he has plenty. He should talk to his physician about whether he needs other blood clotting products for finger cuts, etc., such as Surgicel. If you haven't already, educate yourself on wound care.

Have fun!

ETA: Sleep on the floor with your yoga mat. If you're miserable, check out the inexpensive sleeping pads at walmart.

• Thanks! :)

Yeah, I wondered if I needed the extra batteries since its only 5 days.. Plus we'll likely have more than one flashlight.
      What are soap leaves?

My dads not on any medication, so that won't be a problem. But having some clotting product would be a nice precaution. I have a basic knowledge of wound care, but intend to educate myself further. His case isn't a bad one, but he doesn't do a whole lot of physical activity, so I know he'll have to train up in order to gain muscle, so he can avoid joint bleeding. This hike won't be about speed or anything. :P We'll be taking it REEEEAL slow I think. ^^

Yep! We have one tent now(just a wally world cheapy we're borrowing), so I was thinking tonight I'd test it and my yoga mat. :)
    • I'm sure I'm in the minority about carrying soap...and one caveat...If you're in or around groups of hikers, washing your hands with soap and water is the best way to prevent Norovirus.

Most people carry Dr. Bronner's.

The soap leaves...they're paper-like and you add water. I think they're made by Coleman.

• while you are in harpers ferry you should take time and visit the outfitter in town. if you were planning a thru and could only ask one person for advice that one person should be baltimore jack tarlin. jack thru hiked the a.t. 7 consecutive years and now works at mountain crossings at neels gap at the start of the thru hiker season and then moves up to harpers ferry for a while as the bubble moves northward. he is uniquely qualified to offer advice, and just as importantly, enjoys helping people plan their hikes.

and if you bring him a sunday new york times he'll put you in his will. :)
      2,000 miler
    • Ah! Okay about the soap leaves, I'll have to check them out!!

Yeah, at first I was like "wha?" about carrying soap. A bar seemed just too messy.. And hand sanitizer seemed easier, but my sisters are picky.. :P I think we can manage if we put it in some sort of squeeze bottle.. Or something! :P :)
    • max.patch wrote:

http://www.theoutfitteratharpersferry.com/

they sell backpacking equipment (no rentals, unfortunately). i've never been there so i can't give directions. it would just be a great opportunity for waxqueen to get to discuss gear and hiking with jack.

You are abSOlutely right about a discussion with Jack!

I met him once at Hikers Welcome Hostel, all he wanted to talk about was HMKD58........................ X/
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I'm sure I'm in the minority about carrying soap...and one caveat...If you're in or around groups of hikers, washing your hands with soap and water is the best way to prevent Norovirus.

The soap leaves...they're paper-like and you add water. I think they're made by Coleman.

That's the nurse in you talking, not the hiker.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • A couple of things you might, or might not, want to do. Things my wife and I have learned as section hikers.
      1. I haven't heard anyone mention for you to leave a complete set of clean clothes in your car, if you're leaving one to drive home in. A large container of wet wipes too. Also a bottle of water. Nothing quite as nice as driving home clean.
      2. If you are leaving a car, leave it near where you will finish and get a shuttle to your start. That way you won't have to hike on a schedule to meet your shuttle. Instead, you get to the end when you get there. Then you clean up and drive home.
      3. Have a pair of light weight, thin, socks to sleep in, keeps mosquitoes and other biting bugs off your feet.
      4. You might want to reconsider that second set of clothes for a hike of a week or less. Remember, you'll be getting cleaned up at the car.
      5. Instead of getting your salmon in a can, look for it in foil pouches. Most supermarkets have salmon and tuna that way and it's a little less weight to carry. In some parts of the country I understand you can find chicken and ground beef in the foil packets too.
      6. Since it sounds like the size of your group is growing make sure somebody is carrying Body Glide or something else to easy the
      problem of chaffing.
      7. Are you intentionally going without a stove? It does simplify things but limits your food choices.
      8. Don't stress over the preparations. No matter how well you plan the actual trip will happen as it happens, so stay flexible and adjust as needed.
      9. Enjoy your self and let others be responsible for their own happiness and enjoyment.

If I can think of more I'll post them
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I'm sure I'm in the minority about carrying soap...and one caveat...If you're in or around groups of hikers, washing your hands with soap and water is the best way to prevent Norovirus.

That's the nurse in you talking, not the hiker.

There's the right way, then there's my way :D.
    • Re: Harpers Ferry!!!? / Crunch time!!

max.patch wrote:

there are people who will tell you you don't need soap. i'm not one of them. i carry dr bronners. if it is unavailable then camp suds.

Same here. Plus i carry an eyedropper of bleach- helps get the funk out of socks and underwear.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference