Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

water and water treatment

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Alkaline water

I walked into a home with a bug problem in the Philadelphia area and was stunned to see a machine connected to the water tap. i could not help but ask for more information... The metal box was making Alkaline water. Having never hearing about it I thought I would run this past the group to see if anyone else knows about this relatively new to me information. Some of this makes sense. Check out the video and I am interested in ones thoughts. Would you do this?

Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • water and water treatment

LoboSolo wrote:

i've never treated or filtered water on or off a trail. i treat it like it's good ;)
      This past summer I grabbed some water from a beaver pond, I treated filterd it, and i really did not want to drink it, but had no water...luckily it worked out and I didn't get the trotts, but man I don't see how folks don't filter or treat....that's like Russian Roulette.
    • Alkaline water

i prefer not to treat whenever possible. but sometimes i need to use a source thats a bit questionable, and i'll filter. i just replaced the sawyer with the new sawyer mini. its worth the carrying weight to give me piece of mind. nothing tastes better ,though, than drinking directly from a cold running stream or spring.
      its all good
    • Alkaline water

hikerboy wrote:

i prefer not to treat whenever possible. but sometimes i need to use a source thats a bit questionable, and i'll filter. i just replaced the sawyer with the new sawyer mini. its worth the carrying weight to give me piece of mind. nothing tastes better ,though, than drinking directly from a cold running stream or spring.
      Yeah I saw that mini..24 bucks, not bad, heck of alot cheaper than replacing a katahdin filter catridge.
    • Alkaline water

rocksNsocks wrote:

Never seen this Woo, put in a bunch of DI water systems...De-Ionized, you definitely don't want to drink that, it'll suck all the minerals from your body :ohmy: So I'm told.

You don't want to drink DI water because the resins are breeding grounds for all sorts of nasties. It's for industrial process water, not for drinking.

As far as alkalizing water goes, most municipal water systems try to pump at a mildly alkaline pH. Acid water rots the pipes.

No problems with acid water around here; I live in karst terrain and all the wells are in carbonate rock.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Alkaline water

AnotherKevin wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Never seen this Woo, put in a bunch of DI water systems...De-Ionized, you definitely don't want to drink that, it'll suck all the minerals from your body :ohmy: So I'm told.

You don't want to drink DI water because the resins are breeding grounds for all sorts of nasties. It's for industrial process water, not for drinking.

As far as alkalizing water goes, most municipal water systems try to pump at a mildly alkaline pH. Acid water rots the pipes.

No problems with acid water around here; I live in karst terrain and all the wells are in carbonate rock.
      ah :)
    • water and water treatment

LoboSolo wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

but man I don't see how folks don't filter or treat....that's like Russian Roulette.
      27 years of walkin' the AT and never been sick from water i drank. giardia is way fuckin' overrated

I had it once. I obviously was doing something wrong. Don't ever want it again.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Alkaline water

I finally listened to Rock and Lobo and didn't bring my filter on an overnight from Deep Gap to Bly Gap and back. The only water supply flowing was the Ground Hog Creek that flowed leisurely past the latrine by the shelter. Yuck. I still did not catch a bug, but I always carry the filter now.

I don't use it if the spring is coming out of the mountain and there is no pasture on top of the summit.
    • Alkaline water

I drank straight from a creek ONCE while elk hunting in the coastal Oregon rainforest and drank enough zoas to become Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. Katadyn Hiker Pro, tabs and/or a filter straw are always with me now. As for the gizmo the OP saw, it changes the pH of your water and is part of an MLM.