Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Sand Blazing

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Sand Blazing

Well I originally was going backpacking in the SNP which turned into camping and hiking in the SNP which turned into Sand Blazing.

Poodle was waffling about hiking in the mountains because she hadn't been in a while, so I said ok let's hit the Outer Banks, so we did. They had these new "blazes" to mark the trails thru the dunes to the ocean, sort of like the AT symbol you see.

JR BirdWoman:

So just some beach walking and bike riding, but we did re-charge. To the mountains next time!!
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Sand Blazing

TrafficJam wrote:

Great pictures, JJ. Did ya'll camp? I love Poodle's name...and all her ear piercings. :)

We did camp in the Oregon Inlet Campground- part of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore, it's below Nags Head just before you go over the big bridge to Hatteras. Normally we go to Ocracoke because it's so remote but we didn't want to risk getting all the way over there and find the campground full. As it was we got the next to last spot and we got there at 9am.

I'm a big National Parks fan- I stay in everyone I can. i prefer primitive camping, less crowds, bigger camping spots.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Re:Sand Blazing

Rasty wrote:

Which lighthouse it's that?

Bodie Island Lighthouse. Cape Hatteras Lighthouse has the stripes on an angle, Ocracoke Light is solid white, and I think the one at Duck/Corolla is just plain red brick-been a long time since I went to Duck.

If you ever get a chance go to Ocracoke and camp in the National Park campground. It's a 3 miles to town (speed limit 20 in town) and there is a bike rode to town. it's like Key West, but in North Carolina.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Re:Re: Re:Sand Blazing

jimmyjam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Bodie Island Lighthouse. Cape Hatteras Lighthouse has the stripes on an angle, Ocracoke Light is solid white, and I think the one at Duck/Corolla is just plain red brick-been a long time since I went to Duck.

If you ever get a chance go to Ocracoke and camp in the National Park campground. It's a 3 miles to town (speed limit 20 in town) and there is a bike rode to town. it's like Key West, but in North Carolina.

It's been twenty year since I've been to Hatteras and Ocracoke.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Re: Re:Sand Blazing

Rasty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

It's been twenty year since I've been to Hatteras and Ocracoke.

You can come up the coast thru Camp Lejeune and take the ferry from Cedar Island. We did it on motorcycles one year, it was awesome.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Sand Blazing

Did a weekend backpacking trip a few years ago at North Manitou Island in Lake MI. It is part of Sleeping Bear Dunes NL. Except for a few facilities by the dock, it is managed as wilderness. We hiked to the southern end of the island and instead of following the trail that cuts across the island to the western shore, we went off trail and followed the beach around the southern tip of the island. Eventually scrambled up the bluff to a camp site at the edge of the trees looking out over the strait to S. Manitou Island (see pic). Found out that everyone else on the boat headed straight west so we were apparently the only people camping on the southern end. I suppose that would be sand blazing?

• Re:Re: Sand Blazing

odd man out wrote:

Did a weekend backpacking trip a few years ago at North Manitou Island in Lake MI. It is part of Sleeping Bear Dunes NL. Except for a few facilities by the dock, it is managed as wilderness. We hiked to the southern end of the island and instead of following the trail that cuts across the island to the western shore, we went off trail and followed the beach around the southern tip of the island. Eventually scrambled up the bluff to a camp site at the edge of the trees looking out over the strait to S. Manitou Island (see pic). Found out that everyone else on the boat headed straight west so we were apparently the only people camping on the southern end. I suppose that would be sand blazing?

Nice spot!!
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Re:Re: Sand Blazing

Yea, this was the place were we had absolute darkness overnight. I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't see my hand in front of my face. I probably laid there for 30 minutes wondering if I had gone blind. The obvious solution would have been to turn on my light, but I was so sore from hiking, sitting up to reach the light was too painful. Now I always keep my light within easy reach at night.