Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Gear Shake Down

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Gear Shake Down

Taking advantage of the nice weather and long weekend to try out the gear I've been getting this summer's hike. I got a SMD Skyscape Trekker, Underground Quilt 40deg top quilt with 2 oz overstuff, Neoair Trekker torso length/wide, 3/8" CCF pad for my feet, a DIY pillow, lightweight Merino tops and bottoms, and fleece cap (free bonus from UG quilts) as my sleep/shelter system. Tried them all out together for the first time in the back yard Thursday night. Temps got down to the mid/upper 40's. Was very pleased with everything. There was quite a bit of condensation (it didn't help I was camping on lush, freshly mowed lawn). I think I will plan on using the optional tie-out on the tent over my feet.
    • Gear Shake Down

Part 2

Then on Friday I loaded up all my gear, most of the small essentials, some clothes, some food, the kitchen and 40 oz of water in my new Elemental Horizons Kalais pack and took a 6 mile hike at North Ottawa Dunes Count Park (also with BD Alpine Ergo Cork poles). Also tried out my hiking clothes - Kuhl Kontra Pants, Royal Robbins Desert Pucker Shirt (an old worn out one), Darn Tough AT Edition micro crew cushion socks, and Keen Voyageur low top shoes. Most exciting is with all that gear, pack, clothes, I weigh about the same as I did on Jan 1 without the pack or clothes. The gear weight (including the water) was about 16 lbs, which is about how much weight I lost on this winter/spring diet. So can I claim to be a super-dooper UL hiker with a base weight of zero?? gif.014
    • Gear Shake Down

Base weight of 0 + nekid hiking...you might be beyound the age limit to be considered super cool doing it. Just try for cool. Sounds like you have your kit worked out so, Take a hike!

odd man out wrote:

Part 2

Then on Friday I loaded up all my gear, most of the small essentials, some clothes, some food, the kitchen and 40 oz of water in my new Elemental Horizons Kalais pack and took a 6 mile hike at North Ottawa Dunes Count Park (also with BD Alpine Ergo Cork poles). Also tried out my hiking clothes - Kuhl Kontra Pants, Royal Robbins Desert Pucker Shirt (an old worn out one), Darn Tough AT Edition micro crew cushion socks, and Keen Voyageur low top shoes. Most exciting is with all that gear, pack, clothes, I weigh about the same as I did on Jan 1 without the pack or clothes. The gear weight (including the water) was about 16 lbs, which is about how much weight I lost on this winter/spring diet. So can I claim to be a super-dooper UL hiker with a base weight of zero?? gif.014
    • Gear Shake Down

odd man out wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Base weight of 0 + nekid hiking...you might be beyound the age limit to be considered super cool doing it. Just try for cool. Sounds like you have your kit worked out so, Take a hike!

Yep, at this point I think the only thing I would attract hiking nekid are flies, mosquitoes and ticks.

That sounds painful. :S
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General