Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Solo hike in the Smokies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Solo hike in the Smokies

After my embarrassing attempt at solo hiking the Foothills Trail, I decided the best plan is to stick with my familiar territory, the Smokies. On Friday, my daughter dropped me off at Elkmont where I got on Jakes Creek Trail, a nice, steady climb that eventually takes you up Miry Ridge to the AT between Derrick Knob shelter and Silers Bald shelter. Since my goal was to camp alone, I waited until that morning to make reservations and found no one else had reserved campsite 28 on Lynn Camp Prong Trail. The day was overcast but beautiful with just-budding flowers and everything greening up. Within the first mile, I met Herbert and her interesting mom from Hillsboro, NC. They really made my day.

Horses are allowed on these trails so there were parts that were a muddy, eroded mess. After turning onto Lynn Camp Prong Trail, I was passed by a group of six on horses, the only people I saw after the first few miles on Jakes Creek.

After hiking 8.6 mi, I reached the campsite and made camp. This was the first time sleeping in my Lightheart tent and it was a breeze to set up. I made dinner using BirdBrain’s stove and it worked beautifully. My food was carried in jimmyjam’s bear bag which you can see in the picture (and of course I was wearing Shellie's lucky bracelet). I was sitting on a log eating when I looked up and saw another person across the river hanging his food bag. Dang! I wasn’t alone but he was far enough away that I couldn’t see his tent. That night I read and sipped a favorite beverage and wasn’t afraid. The sound of the river was soothing and masked all the other night-time noises.

Images
      • IMG_pic3.jpg

174.3 kB, 800×600, viewed 458 times
      Lost in the right direction.

Cool.
      Nice pics.
      The Smokys were a bit mixed for me.
      I would like to go again one day well away from the thruhiker "bubble".
      I felt the crowding and lack of privies on the AT there were probably the catalyst for all the norovirus issues.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

The next morning I was packed and out of camp by 7:45. I backtracked 2.5 mi to Miry Ridge trail and hiked another 2.5 to get to the AT. While not easy, it was the easiest approach I’ve ever made to the AT in the Smokies. The trail was a steady ascent but not as steep as others I’ve hiked. I was on the AT within a few hours and reached Silers Bald shelter at noon and stopped for lunch. It started raining steadily around 9am and was windy and cold up on the ridge. In the 3 miles to Silers Bald, I saw 6 or 7 hikers and quit counting. The shelter was trashy and made me angry. A thru hiker named Poncho had picked up and left a note for the ridge runner thanking him for his work. I picked up more trash out in the woods. There were also several entries in the shelter log about people defecating behind the shelter.

A few minutes after arriving, Bliss showed up for lunch. We chatted about internet forums and trail journals, neither of which she was active, but she knew about the cafe. She stayed at Derrick Knob shelter the night before and said they chased bears away all night. I gave her some Reese’s peanut butter eggs that I brought to give away.

I started getting cold so left after 30 minutes. I passed more people going SOBO and was passed by at least 6 going NOBO in the next 2 mi. At mile 10, I was feeling strong and thought that 14.5 mi. (my farthest day yet) was going to be a breeze. I was wrong.

A few miles from Clingman’s Dome, I turned off the AT onto Goshen Prong trail to hike 4.4 mi to campsite 23. It was still raining and the trail was a slick, muddy descent. I slipped several times and once fell in the mud. I had to walk slowly and it took me 3 ½ hrs to get to the campsite. There were two people there setting up their shelter. I was cold and quickly pitched my tent to get out of the rain. It was a terrible pitch and the tent was saggy and uneven. As soon as the tent was up, I changed into dry clothes and crawled into my bag to get warm. I was a shivering mess and forced myself to eat some cold food. As soon as I was feeling better, I heated water for hot chocolate and dinner. Finally warm and comfortable, I stayed up late reading.

The sky was clear the next morning, promising a beautiful day. Unfortunately, I had a rocky start. When I boiled water for coffee, the pot fell over, spilling all my hot water. Not wanting to ruin the wick, I quickly poured the last of my water into the pot and put it back on the stove but there wasn’t enough fuel left to heat it. As I was relighting the stove, I kicked the pot over, again spilling my water. Starting to get cold again, and disgusted with myself, I decided to forgo coffee and start hiking.

Next to the campsite I had to cross a stream. I attempted to rock hop but one of the rocks was unstable and my foot slipped into the cold water. Starting to lose my balance, I had to put my other foot into the water too. On the other side of the stream, I changed into my last pair of semi-dry socks.

Within minutes, I had another stream crossing with no way to rock hop. I took off my shoes and socks and waded across, the water coming up to my shins and gasping for breath from the cold. I had to walk for several miles before my feet warmed up.

My last day was a short 7 mi hike on the Goshen Prong and Little River Trail. This section used to be a railroad bed for logging and is flat and wide. It follows the Little River back to Elkmont and is incredibly scenic. It was a sunny, gorgeous day and I stopped several times to stand in the sun and feel warm. As I got close to the trailhead, I encountered quite a few people. Several talked to me and one lady asked me questions about my pack weight, obviously knowledgeable about hiking. She asked me if I was afraid to be by myself and I said, “No, I’m not afraid.” :)

With a smile, I finished my hike and started road walking to the entrance of Elkmont to meet my daughter. A car stopped and it was the duck lady who I met on Friday and two young people. They offered me a ride and I couldn’t resist. They asked about my hike and the driver mentioned hiking the AT and loving the AYCE buffet’s. Within minutes, I was at the entrance and spent an enjoyable few hours resting and drying my shoes and feet until it was time to go home.

• Re:Solo hike in the Smokies

BirdBrain wrote:

I can't help but chuckle. I have had my fait shareof mishaps on the trail. You can laugh, cry,or get mad. Laughing is more fun.

You're right, it's more fun to laugh.

I had trouble with my lighter too. It was hard to ignite and my thumb is still sore. When everything was wet, I had to shred paper towels, roll them up, and ignite them to start the stove. I'm going to look at the igniter you like.

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I can't help but chuckle. I have had my fait shareof mishaps on the trail. You can laugh, cry,or get mad. Laughing is more fun.

You're right, it's more fun to laugh.

I had trouble with my lighter too. It was hard to ignite and my thumb is still sore. When everything was wet, I had to shred paper towels, roll them up, and ignite them to start the stove. I'm going to look at the igniter you like.

Yup. You just listed the reasons I prefer my ignitor. The other methods are a balancing act. The ignitor is so easy.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

Nice trip. Hopefully next year I'll see the smokeys. I don't like stepping in ice cold water either. I usually take my socks off and put my shoes back on and just plow on thru. A little ways down the trail I'll put my socks back on.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

Nice trip. Hopefully next year I'll see the smokeys. I don't like stepping in ice cold water either. I usually take my socks off and put my shoes back on and just plow on thru. A little ways down the trail I'll put my socks back on.

I'm so stupid! My shoes were already wet. That's what happens when I don't have my coffee. :lol:
    • Re:Re: Solo hike in the Smokies

TrafficJam wrote:

On my 2nd night, my tent had a lot of condensation inside that dripped on my stuff all night. Any ideas why and what I should do different next time?

Open the door a little and open a vent if it has one. Its one of the problems with single wall tents. A lot of people keep a piece of shamwow handy to wipe it off. I pitch my tarp so the edges are about 3or 4 inches off the ground (unless i am expecting a t-storm) and so far i haven't had any problems .
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

TrafficJam wrote:

On my 2nd night, my tent had a lot of condensation inside that dripped on my stuff all night. Any ideas why and what I should do different next time?

Stop breathing?

But seriously, there are times all tents will have condensation.
      Cause is moisture in the air condensing on the wall of the tent fabric when it cools.
      Even the best tents will have condensation when you have high humidity, moisture from your breath and a notable temperature drop.
      As noted, make sure you open your tent fly as much as conditions allow, Try to pitch in the lee of bushes etc if there is a cooling wind as that will chill the tent fabric. Try to pitch the tent fly with as much "gap" as possible, between the inner and the ground.
      Try not to bring wet gear inside the fly. The evaporation adds to the humidity. If you need dry socks try etc try to find somewhere else sheltered to hang them.
      Assess where east and west are and try to pitch where the morning sun can catch your fly early and start the drying process. Be wary with this as it will heat you up very quickly.
      Before packing in the morning (immediately after getting out of your bag) turn your bag inside out and hang it in the sun if possible. The damp from your body gets a chance to escape and your bag will be cleaner and dryer.

If all of the above fails, spend the next night in a hotel.
      gif.015
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

TrafficJam wrote:

My tent has enough ventilation that condensation from breathing shouldn't be a problem. I kept all my wet gear in tent though.

That would add to it, but i would do the same thing with my wet stuff because if left outside it would get wetter from the dew.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

When it's wet I tend to leave pack etc outside wrapped in poncho or similar rather than bring it in to tent. I will tolerate a lot of wet gear but not even a damp sleeping bag. If my bag gets wet, I dry it immediately - off trail if I have to..

You need to use your tent in colder weather. The condensation turns to frost and you just shake it out of the tent in the morning. The same with the sleeping bag - just shake the frost off the outer surface.

Seriously though, I carry a cellulose sponge to wipe the inside of my tents in the morning. Condensation is less of an issue with a tarp open at two ends. My experience with a frosty tent and sleeping bag is limited to one night each.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does

stoviewander wrote:

You need to use your tent in colder weather. The condensation turns to frost and you just shake it out of the tent in the morning. The same with the sleeping bag - just shake the frost off the outer surface.

Seriously though, I carry a cellulose sponge to wipe the inside of my tents in the morning. Condensation is less of an issue with a tarp open at two ends. My experience with a frosty tent and sleeping bag is limited to one night each.

To get the kind of weather you are describing I need to travel at least 3,000 miles from home.

stoviewander wrote:

I thought it was caused by how poorly I set the tent up. I created some pockets where water pooled. I never had condensation with my Copper Spur but it's half mesh with a rain fly. Next time I'll open the doors and not store all my wet stuff inside. My wet socks, shirt, and under things were between my sleeping pad and floor but my wet pack cover, rain pants, and jacket were left out.

A tarp shelter...maybe that'll be next on my list of things to figure out.

TrafficJam wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

I thought it was caused by how poorly I set the tent up. I created some pockets where water pooled. I never had condensation with my Copper Spur but it's half mesh with a rain fly. Next time I'll open the doors and not store all my wet stuff inside. My wet socks, shirt, and under things were between my sleeping pad and floor but my wet pack cover, rain pants, and jacket were left out.

A tarp shelter...maybe that'll be next on my list of things to figure out.

I like my Granite Gear Haven and 8x10 Etowah Gear silnylon tarp combination, unless it is cold.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does