Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Learn from Our Mistakes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Learn from Our Mistakes

In 2011, I learned the hard way why hikers avoid cotton clothing. It did not take long before I got caught in the rain. My cotton clothing took a very long time to dry out. I wasted a very nice day trying to dry my clothes, instead of hiking in them.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does

In 2011, I pitched my tent with short round skinny tent pegs. When the rain and wind came, the foot of my tent collapsed. The bathtub floor kept the water in, rather than out. I spent the night on knees and elbows to keep my core mostly out of the puddle, and flexed muscles (did isometric exercises) to stay warm.

I now use a large wide tent peg when camping with that tent. My current tent setup is much lighter, so that tent is rarely used.

In 2011, I weighed 240 pounds and carried 60 pounds of gear. I started near Roanoke, VA. In Daleville, I could barely walk down the stairs at the hotel. Near Buena Vista, my leg joints bothered me so much I abandoned my supplies, whittled some hiking poles, limped off the AT, and recuperated in a motel.

That year I only made it into SNP, about 200 miles of hiking. In SNP, Bearfence Mountain Hut was closed because a bear had destroyed a tent. That was the last straw for me, especially with the 15 or so miles between huts. I called for a shuttle, walked off the mountain at about 1 MPH, and took the Greyhound back to Roanoke. Then I decided to do some lower impact activity. I bicycled the Great Allegheny Passage. I managed to lose 15 pounds that year.

I bought lighter gear and carried less food in 2012, and had a much better time hiking.

Much of what people learn will not work for others. I learned that from many of the people on this site. It is called doing it all wrong. So with that disclaimer and in the spirit of this thread I offer this lesson learned.

As far back as I can remember I have been walking in the woods. As early as 3 or 4 years old, my 2 older sisters would seek off into the back woods would me in tow. As I grew, the distances and durations grew. What I wore on my feet was never a consideration. It is one of my primary ones now.

When I was young, I went barefoot as much as I was allowed. We were always outside and put on many miles every day with no shoes on. When I started to grow up and walk in the woods the "right" way (walking paths), I started wearing sandals on these walks. That was my preferred foot attire on most of my walks until last year.

Last year I decided to walk Maine. As such I knew my just do it attitude had to go. I had to be prepared. So I listened to the experts and bought some hiking boots. It only took one walk of the Camden Hills to make me chuck those things into the closet. I lost a toenail from that one walk.

The compromise for me was to find as light of a shoe as I could get that had great tread. That ended up being New Balance MT610's. I do not care if I have to replace them ever 400 miles. How my feet wear is far more important than how my shoes wear.

A couple other things about my feet that I learned was to put Body Glide Liquid Powder on them every morning, do toenail inspection every night, wear Darn Tough socks, replace my insoles with green Superfeet, wear Dirty Girl gaiters, and don't freak out if my feet get wet once in a while.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

In the 80s, fresh out of the Marines........i hiked constantly. I was trying to go ultra-lite, before it was chique..........4 July week up in the Green Mountains. Poncho, closed cell pad, wool blanket, only a change of socks. On the 3rd day of rain I thought I was going to freeze to death. I reverted back and remain a disciple of Tipi Walter's Ultra-loaders! :)
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

CoachLou wrote:

BB, I agree that nothing is more important than taking care of your feet.

Since I've started packing again in '11', I have lost the same toe nail 4 times......it is now about to leave again.....from only 2 days of walking 2 weeks ago! :huh:

I also wear shoes that a half size larger while hiking. This seems to help my toenails too.

I used to post on a site that has floating rules enforced by a person who attempted to read minds for post intent and applied said rules differently depending on if you were liked or not.

Now I post here where the administrators are good people with a sense of humor.

CoachLou wrote:

Since I've started packing again in '11', I have lost the same toe nail 4 times......it is now about to leave again.....from only 2 days of walking 2 weeks ago! :huh:

I lost a toenail on the AT because it was too long and caught in my sock. After enough steps, it eventually peeled away and cut into the toe next to it. I thought it was just a small piece of rock or other debris in my shoe and ignored it. Ignoring minor pains is easy for me as long as I keep moving. When I got to camp, I inspected my foot and learned a few things.

stoviewander wrote:

I used to post on a site where including photos was nowhere near as convenient as it is here. It may have been the same site.

Another thing you could not do is criticize a certain administrator. Over here it is almost encouraged. Let me demonstrate.

Rasty you are so young you have to get permission to stay up passed 10 PM.

HB, Chevys suck.

TW, you do not post enough to call yourself an administrator.

That was fun. gif.005
    • Re:Re: Learn from Our Mistakes

BirdBrain wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

I used to post on a site where including photos was nowhere near as convenient as it is here. It may have been the same site.

Another thing you could not do is criticize a certain administrator. Over here it is almost encouraged. Let me demonstrate.

HB, Chevys suck.

That was fun. gif.005

Bite me old fart
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

BirdBrain wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

HB, Chevys suck.

That was fun. gif.005

But Chevy's do suck.....

Back to topic.
      All liquids should not be in the main pack. One day that syrup, ketchup, sun lotion, fuel etc will make a really nasty mess in there.

ALWAYS ensure your headlamp or other electronics cannot be accidentally turned on in the pack.

If your gear is only good enough for a moderate weather range, take a way of getting weather forecasts and cut your hike short if the forecast doesn't match your gear. People like LS don't want to get out of a warm bed to fetch you down from Mt Rogers.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

CoachLou wrote:

In the 80s, fresh out of the Marines........i hiked constantly. I was trying to go ultra-lite, before it was chique..........4 July week up in the Green Mountains. Poncho, closed cell pad, wool blanket, only a change of socks. On the 3rd day of rain I thought I was going to freeze to death. I reverted back and remain a disciple of Tipi Walter's Ultra-loaders! :)

Keep in mind Tipi doesn't hike per sey...

My biggest mistake was water - climbing Mt Misery and not having enough water - when I got to the first shelter I was out for the last four miles and dehydrated. opened my pack and there was a full backup bottle in my face.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

CoachLou wrote:

I'm missing 5 toe nails right now. Both big toes, 2 others on one foot and 1 on the other. This is from 35 miles under water back in Feb. To tell you the truth I like it better when they're missing. Now I keep filing them down with the board. This slows the re-growth down but eventually they'll come fully back. But for now it sure is nice not to have to worry about 'em.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

milkman wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

I'm missing 5 toe nails right now. Both big toes, 2 others on one foot and 1 on the other. This is from 35 miles under water back in Feb. To tell you the truth I like it better when they're missing. Now I keep filing them down with the board. This slows the re-growth down but eventually they'll come fully back. But for now it sure is nice not to have to worry about 'em.

Yeah, we joke about the ul'ers getting their toenails removed but really, it's so much better when they're gone.
      Lost in the right direction.

I lost my first toenail in a bicycle accident about 24 years ago. I was at a stop sign behind a car in Pittsburgh. The driver started to pull forward. I stomped on the pedals. The driver stopped suddenly. So did I, but only after hitting the rear bumper.

Some days later, I was out of the saddle, using toe straps, and making a left turn, when about four spokes broke on one side of the front wheel. I hyperextended my left knee across the frame, and crushed the nail on the left big toe. I limped off the road. Eventually the nail fell off.

I never saw a doctor. Probably another mistake. When I started hiking the AT, I could feel my left knee starting to hyperextend occasionally. I had to be very careful how I walked to avoid aggravating that old injury. Eventually I built up my leg muscles and it was no longer a problem. For me, hiking the AT was good physical therapy.

So if you hit something with a bicycle wheel, you might want to replace or re-lace it. Yes, I have laced a few wheels, but not enough to be really good at it.

BirdBrain wrote:

A couple other things about my feet that I learned was to put Body Glide Liquid Powder on them every morning, do toenail inspection every night, wear Darn Tough socks, replace my insoles with green Superfeet, wear Dirty Girl gaiters, and don't freak out if my feet get wet once in a while.

This is a very nice list. Haven't tried the Body Glide, GSF insoles, or DGGaiters yet, but am considering them. I do have the DT socks and Toenail clippers. Nothing puts me on my back faster than a toe infection from toenails that are not perfect.

For me I learned (after spilling a few meals) I can't use a bottle or supercat stove without a pot stand. I left a trace and went hungry.

maybe 5 or 6 yrs ago i was doing a trip from franconia notch to crawford notch,n.h.. i had parked at highland center, and took the amc shuttle to the trail head.that was the first mistake.it let me out at the flume vistor center at just before 11am, .25 mmi from the liberty springs trail.it was the 3rd week of august and it was hot.and dry. my destination was garfield ridge campsite, 11 miles away.i'd hiked the section twice before and knew 11 miles was a good first day, definitely doable, but i never factored in the late start.i pushed up the liberty springs trail and knew i had to set a pretty decent pace to get there before nightfall. i got to liberty springs, and wondered about water, but i had started with a 3L bladder and had only taken a few sips, so i decided to keep going. that was mistake #2-i hadnt been properly hydrating all morning. i should have been drinking more, as i was already sweating heavy and still had 9 miles to go. i got up over liberty, and the wind was hot and dry. although i was sweating, the sweat was evaporating quickly and i didnt notice i was strating to run low on water. i got to lincoln ,pulled out my bladder and saw i had maybe a pint or so of water left. i knew there wasnt any waater until i hit the campsite, so i had a problem. faced with little choice but to keep moving, i kept on.i drank the last of my water about halfway up lafayette, and i was very thirsty. i finally got to the top and rested. i was dizzy and a little nauseous, and even though it was almost 4pm, i just sat for a while till i could think clearly.it was 4 miles to garfield, and i had no water. it was 4 miles back to liberty springs and i had no water.i felt a little stronger and made my way down lafayette. i could hear the sound of water nearby, but had no idea exactly where it was coming from or how to get to it, so i kept going until i got to the base of mt garfield.iwas completely spent, my lips were parched. i treid eating a dried apricot, gagged on it, spit it out and threw it into the woods. looked around for a possible place to cowboy camp but was surrounded by dense spruce and balsam forest. i heard someone approaching and was greeted by a couple of backpackers out doing a bonds loop. one of the guys was carrying an expedition size pack, had to weigh 70 lbs("hes doing it wrong",i thought). i told them i was out of water and asked if they had any at all to spare. he takes his pack off, sets it down and pulls out a gallon jug of poland spring! a friggin gallon!! and he said he brought 4!!! to take as much as i needed!!! he was doing it more right than i was,apparently.
      its all good

CoachLou wrote:

Good news, is now you have problem justifying the cheese cake. :P
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

BirdBrain wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

I also wear shoes that a half size larger while hiking. This seems to help my toenails too.

I was once told you should have enough room in the "toe box" for your toes to play piano.

they had been pushing hard as well and he was struggling with his heavy pack up the steep trail to garfield. we coaxed and coached each other up to where the spur splits off over the summit,while the at skips the top and goes straight to the campsite. it was getting close to sundown, and even though i still wasnt feeling good, i wanted to tag the summit, so we agreed to take the side trip to the summit.
      the view from garfield is one of the best in the whites. 360 degree unobstructed view of nothing but mountains.the sky was crystal clear,no humidity at all, and we tagged the summit just as the sun hit the horizon. we just stood there, watching the sun hide behind the rim of the earth, and as the horizon took on an orange glow, overhead the first stars began to wink on. as the sky darkened,more and more stars came out and we were soon surrounded by clouds of bright starlight.awesome. awesome.
      we must have watched the light change for an hour, but it was time to get to camp. put on our headlamps and made our way down to the campsite.i set up my tent , got in my bag, and was asleep in minutes.
      its all good

HB, great example of Win/Win with him sharing the water with you (and you lightening his load).
      Misjudging water has led to the only two times I really tried to yogi. The first I with my son in GA and we ran into some lady day hikers and they offered us a bottle of their water. Another time near Albert Mountain by myself I ran into some campers and I asked them if they knew where the nearest water source was, and again they bailed me out with a bottle of water from their cooler.

WiseOldOwl wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

The few times a toenail mess with me I just grab the Leatherman Squirt and yank it out. Bleed and get over it... Keep on walking.

Yikes Owl, that makes my toes hurt just thinking about it.

They grow back in a few months... looks fine.

Oh I know, as I am almost done growing back two- both toes next to my big toes are longer than my big toes and seem to take a beating on the down hills.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

The few times a toenail mess with me I just grab the Leatherman Squirt and yank it out. Bleed and get over it... Keep on walking.

Oh I know, as I am almost done growing back two- both toes next to my big toes are longer than my big toes and seem to take a beating on the down hills.
      actually ,most peoples 2nd toe extends beyond the big toe.
      even with a bigger shoe, i still lose toenails. i dont even think it has to do so much with banging my toes against the front of the shoe, but from clenching them within the shoe when i'm hiking.
      toenails are overrated
      its all good

jimmyjam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

That is the one that keeps leaving. 2.gif

CoachLou wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Does anyone remember that video that some one put up @ TOS, where the doctor is actually removing the nail and trimming..................OMG i couldn't take 10 seconds of it.

CoachLou wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Does anyone remember that video that some one put up @ TOS, where the doctor is actually removing the nail and trimming..................OMG i couldn't take 10 seconds of it.

WiseOldOwl wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Not this one............. gif.001

there were several video's

ah well moving on folks - nothing to see here.... Frodo gets to keep his toe... looses a finger... watched the hobbit last night... oh I gave away the end...

My mistake and good recovery was sticking it out in a hurricane in the woods with a bunch of boy scouts the first time. Years later when it happened again I looked at the scoutmaster - looked at the drowned rats and told him I could stick it out - but the women at home are loosing it due to the drama on the tv drive by news.. - taking the boys home... didn't know blue jeans took so long to dry hanging in a military tent. (wasn't mine)