Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking & Biking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dan76 wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

My wife got her REI, Novara, Gotham for about 50% of the original price because it was last years model plus someone had bought it then returned it.
      How's the belt drive working for her?
      No problems, no cleaning and lubricating, and no noise.
      Because I'm lazy I still haven't looked into the special tools needed to install a new belt, nothing lasts forever.
      There's one tool for checking the tension on the belt and then the right seat stay has a joint in it that will have to come apart to get the belt in place. I'm not sure how that works just yet.
    • Dan76 wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i get my bikes from rei during their spring sale. the last two (mtn bike for me; road bike for youngest kid) were $800 bikes for $500. first tune up free. not the greatest bikes in the world, but anything better would be wasted money as it would be beyond my skill and interest level. these are their house brand bikes; novarro.
      REI sells bikes outfitted with good components. Their folks also fit the bike to the buyer. Several folks I rode with have these bikes and are pleased with durability.
      Besides the 10% year end rebate adds to the value.
      A few years back I bought myself, the mrs and my daughter REI bikes for Christmas. Great bikes. Replaced one brake cable and of course I've worn the tires off of mine. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Turns out I didn't get to ride my bicycle either yesterday or today.
      The possibility still exists for a short night ride today, maybe just maybe.
      I did finally get out for a short, leisurely ride.It was well after dark and having a good headlight sure made it more enjoyable.
      I'm glad you got out. Cycling is over for me until next Spring. Hoping to have enough $ saved for a new bike by then.
      What type of bicycle are you looking to get?
      An upgraded road bike.
      I have a great road bike, but rarely ride it. I appreciate the more upright riding position a mt bike offers. Larger tires also make for a less jarring ride on chip sealed road surfaces frequently encountered.
      Additionally the increased bike weight and tire friction provide a greater work out benefit when on shorter rides. I've taken the mt bike on several century rides and found I average a slower speed but I can keep with most other riders. Besides I can go off road without fear of damage or flat when the urge strikes.

However when riding the road bike, it feels like a feather in comparison.
      Im sticking with a road bike, I don't want to be slower than I already am.

Dan76 wrote:

Agree.

Carbon fiver bikes are great to ride in predictable environments. The frames are light, stiff, and reduce transmission of road vibration. However they are fragile and require a complete frame inspection if crashed.

Most manufacturers warrant their CF frames, but warranties are voided if crashed. I know of only one rider successfully submitting a claim for a frame crack. His local bike shop pressed the issue as they found the crack during routine servicing.

I'm seeing more CF mt bikes and don't understand the reasoning. I like most other mt bike riders crash at least once per season. I'd hate to ride a premium bike in Moab, crash, and wonder for the rest of the ride if the frame is toast.
      I probably won't get a CF bike as it increases the cost significantly. There are some good, lightweight aluminum options available.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Turns out I didn't get to ride my bicycle either yesterday or today.
      The possibility still exists for a short night ride today, maybe just maybe.
      I did finally get out for a short, leisurely ride.It was well after dark and having a good headlight sure made it more enjoyable.
      I'm glad you got out. Cycling is over for me until next Spring. Hoping to have enough $ saved for a new bike by then.
      What type of bicycle are you looking to get?
      An upgraded road bike.
      I have a great road bike, but rarely ride it. I appreciate the more upright riding position a mt bike offers. Larger tires also make for a less jarring ride on chip sealed road surfaces frequently encountered.Additionally the increased bike weight and tire friction provide a greater work out benefit when on shorter rides. I've taken the mt bike on several century rides and found I average a slower speed but I can keep with most other riders. Besides I can go off road without fear of damage or flat when the urge strikes.

However when riding the road bike, it feels like a feather in comparison.
      Im sticking with a road bike, I don't want to be slower than I already am.

Dan76 wrote:

Agree.

Carbon fiver bikes are great to ride in predictable environments. The frames are light, stiff, and reduce transmission of road vibration. However they are fragile and require a complete frame inspection if crashed.

Most manufacturers warrant their CF frames, but warranties are voided if crashed. I know of only one rider successfully submitting a claim for a frame crack. His local bike shop pressed the issue as they found the crack during routine servicing.

I'm seeing more CF mt bikes and don't understand the reasoning. I like most other mt bike riders crash at least once per season. I'd hate to ride a premium bike in Moab, crash, and wonder for the rest of the ride if the frame is toast.
      I probably won't get a CF bike as it increases the cost significantly. There are some good, lightweight aluminum options available.
      Sounds like you've got it figured out.
      The place to save weight is in the wheels (kinda like switching from hiking boots to shoes)
      And the place to spend money is on good quality components.
      At least that's what I think.
      You may have other opinions, only you would know what you're really after.
    • Another method of reducing overall bike weight is to reduce body mass. One of my riding buddies is a local bike shop owner. While he appreciates customers buying expensive lightweight components as his margin is positively impacted, he agrees with me on losing body weight as a great performance enhancer.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Another method of reducing overall bike weight is to reduce body mass. One of my riding buddies is a local bike shop owner. While he appreciates customers buying expensive lightweight components as his margin is positively impacted, he agrees with me on losing body weight as a great performance enhancer.
      The same for hiking, but that is much easier said than done. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Another method of reducing overall bike weight is to reduce body mass. One of my riding buddies is a local bike shop owner. While he appreciates customers buying expensive lightweight components as his margin is positively impacted, he agrees with me on losing body weight as a great performance enhancer.
      You just gotta get out and hike and the weight will peel off your body. I think I forgot to mention that I lost so much in my waist that I could not tighten my waist belt enough to get my pack to rest on my hips. So I cut some 2" x 6" strips of foam out of my thin foam pad that I supplement my air mattress with and padded out the inside of my waist belt so it would fit again.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

You just gotta get out and hike and the weight will peel off your body. I think I forgot to mention that I lost so much in my waist that I could not tighten my waist belt enough to get my pack to rest on my hips. So I cut some 2" x 6" strips of foam out of my thin foam pad that I supplement my air mattress with and padded out the inside of my waist belt so it would fit again.
      Yeah, I would be fine if I could go hiking 52 weeks of the year.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

My wife got her REI, Novara, Gotham for about 50% of the original price because it was last years model plus someone had bought it then returned it.
      How's the belt drive working for her?
      No problems, no cleaning and lubricating, and no noise.Because I'm lazy I still haven't looked into the special tools needed to install a new belt, nothing lasts forever.
      There's one tool for checking the tension on the belt and then the right seat stay has a joint in it that will have to come apart to get the belt in place. I'm not sure how that works just yet.
      what's the world comin' to? Everything is so specialized anymore, remember when...

• jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

My 38" waist pants don't fit very well, so I tuck my fleece jacket in my jeans (and use a belt).
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Had a nice, 18.2 mile ride today...sort of hard as I'm not at 100% but great to be outside on my bike. Got passed by a bunch of sturdy old geezers. ^^
      Our birthdays will arrive soon enough. Someone called me "old man" in the $ General in Brunswick, and asked if I was living on the C&O.
      I have a big one next month, ugh.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Had a nice, 18.2 mile ride today...sort of hard as I'm not at 100% but great to be outside on my bike. Got passed by a bunch of sturdy old geezers. ^^
      Our birthdays will arrive soon enough. Someone called me "old man" in the $ General in Brunswick, and asked if I was living on the C&O.
      At my age they're all big...did do some mt. biking on real trails this week end.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I'm just a few short years from 3/4 of a century you kids ! What, you got up to 30 already ? Well, the first 50 years are the hardest.

( The above should be read in my bestest Roger Rabbit doing his best to imitate a drunken Scotsman. Although I am not drunk.)
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Black balloons for us both next month.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Nothing wrong with turning 40. :)
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

50 ain't so bad. It just sounds intimidating, like it's time to act like a grown up.

Do you get the McD's senior coffee at 50?
    • TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

50 ain't so bad. It just sounds intimidating, like it's time to act like a grown up.
      55+ at participating locations.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Careful, these folks might have been some of the regular posters of this forum.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

50 ain't so bad. It just sounds intimidating, like it's time to act like a grown up.Do you get the McD's senior coffee at 50?
      55+ at participating locations.
      Getting older sure beats the alternative! :thumbsup:
    • Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Careful, these folks might have been some of the regular posters of this forum.
      What I actually thought when they passed me..."dang, it just goes to show you, age and size don't matter!"

I was also passed (quite quickly) by two older guys on hybrids wearing blue jeans! :D
    • TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

You can also become a AARP member, though I pulled my membership for political reasons, we didn't like what they were doing with the monies.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Cheaha. Challenge is May 21, 2017.
      Looks very similar to the Cherohala challenge in Tellico Plains, which is way too hard for me. I attend every year but only do the valley ride.

There are different levels of difficulty. It won't be on the route I will be on but there is a family type ride from what I have been told that goes up the Chief Ladiga trail the same day.
      --
    • TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

50? 50?...lol, are you going to be 50?
      Geez, I can't even remember being 50.
      I'm gonna be 65 in June and at every opportunity I remind my boss that if he ever fires me I'll just stop at the social security office on the way home and arrange to collect some of his tax money on a monthly basis. Actually we're on pretty friendly terms, and besides, he's only months younger than I am. :)
    • TrafficJam wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Looks very similar to the Cherohala challenge in Tellico Plains, which is way too hard for me. I attend every year but only do the valley ride.
      I'm semi-seriously considering doing the Barbarian Challenge they do each year in Gadsden each year if I can get my foot healed enough....would probably require a medical leave afterwards.
    • JimBlue wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

There are different levels of difficulty. It won't be on the route I will be on but there is a family type ride from what I have been told that goes up the Chief Ladiga trail the same day.
      Hey JIm...there's a meetup group...Birmingham Adventure Group...that might interest you, they do a lot of day hikes with varying difficulty levels, non that I'd call difficult.
    • LIhikers wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

50 ain't so bad. It just sounds intimidating, like it's time to act like a grown up.Do you get the McD's senior coffee at 50?
      50? 50?...lol, are you going to be 50?Geez, I can't even remember being 50.
      I'm gonna be 65 in June and at every opportunity I remind my boss that if he ever fires me I'll just stop at the social security office on the way home and arrange to collect some of his tax money on a monthly basis. Actually we're on pretty friendly terms, and besides, he's only months younger than I am. :)
      That's some good perspective. When I'm 60, I want to remember being happy to be 50, not dreading it.

One thing I've looked forward to is being able to say, "I'm 50, and I'm in the best shape of my life." :thumbsup:

(Remember the old bow flex commercial?)
    • Drybones wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Hey JIm...there's a meetup group...Birmingham Adventure Group...that might interest you, they do a lot of day hikes with varying difficulty levels, non that I'd call difficult.

Only possible problems are I'm out of shape and costs. My sister found a group out of Birmingham. They have some trips that look interesting but the cost is a significant amount of monthly my social security check. And my part d costs just went up about 5 more dollars a month.

I can work on being out of shape. The couple of hundred dollars for their cheapest trip was too much. The trip I was interested in was higher.
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

Drybones wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Only possible problems are I'm out of shape and costs. My sister found a group out of Birmingham. They have some trips that look interesting but the cost is a significant amount of monthly my social security check. And my part d costs just went up about 5 more dollars a month.

I can work on being out of shape. The couple of hundred dollars for their cheapest trip was too much. The trip I was interested in was higher.
      That describes me to a T
      I'm out of shape and working on being out of shape :D