Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

What's a good camera?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What's a good camera?

I've been looking for a good camera that meets these criteria:
      -Waterproof
      -somewhat shock resistant
      -good zoom
      -good picture quality
      - decent battery life, at least 200 pics a charge
      -reasonable price

I thought I had found it at Target, the Pentax WG 10 on sale for $99.99. Went back a couple of days later and they raised the price back to $179.99. They said they honor the price if they had one. AArrrrrrrrrrrr. Called several stores, no one had one. They said it was discontinued, but they would sell me the display for 30% off at $125.99- a display that's been handled and banged around. AArrrrr. No thank you. So the search continues.

So what do my fellow hikers recommend?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • What's a good camers?

Nikon

I have been thru hell with several dedicated cameras & battery styles. In the past I was a big advocate of AA battery slots and using disposable Lithium. I burned out Olympus and a few others. Nikon with an extra fast chip and rechargable is spectacular! I shoot HD video and I can load and edit on the computer. it has enough adjustments to do close up and landscape and portrait on the trail. I bought one that wasn't waterproof and had no issues. 6200 for the moment... I wanted more optical zoom.

Kodak Easyshare was my sons favorite...
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Digital Photography Review web site reviews waterproof cameras as a group on a regular basis. They did one this year, so the models still may actually be relevant ...

The reviewer liked the Olympus Tough TG-3 best overall, and Nikon's Coolpix AW120 for more budget-limited folks. last year's favorite, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5, may still be available at discount prices.

dpreview.com/articles/24912693…waterproof-camera-roundup
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15
    • i have this one:
      cnet.com/products/nikon-coolpix-s9300/

its got a great zoom. i need to replace it however as the viewing glass is cracked. its taken a lot of abuse.i usuallly just keep it in my hipbelt pocket where its accessible, so its taken a lot of hits, gotten wet, etc. and still takes great photos.
      i will be looking for something lighter and smaller, however.

my phone camera takes some pretty good shots, too.
      its all good
    • I carried the Olympus TG1 on the AT.
      Never worried about water etc. Always in hipbelt pocket so always handy. Excellent optics/low light capability. Only problems were low zoom capability (4×) was frustrating and sometimes video had a ticking noise. Presume TG3 is the newer model.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • I think my next cam/era is gonna be one of the GoPro's. Just haven't decided on which one but more than likely the HERO3+ Black Edition. Seems like it's gonna work for me best all around.
      I've been shopping around and it can be had better than the prices on the website. Just linking it in case anybody wants to check out the specs.
      gopro.com/cameras
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • My Olympus Tough 8000 died in St. John this year......5 yrs old :( . The manual said to return it to get new seals every 2 years.........I have not, i think it got water in it :cursing:. Like everything else, I will get around to it. I have another basic Olympus model, but it is not waterproof.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup: