Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

maine wind power project

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• maine wind power project

from matc this morning:

Last week, we told you that MATC joined the A.T. Coalition along with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and Appalachian Mountain Club. The purpose of the A.T. Coalition was to advocate on behalf of the Appalachian Trail with regard to the Bingham wind project introduced by Blue Sky West, a subsidiary of First Wind.

As a result of misinterpretations reported in the press, we have received calls and emails from members of the greater Appalachian Trail community. Members of the A.T. Coalition felt it was important to correct these inaccuracies.

We have submitted the following Letter to the Editor to the Bangor Daily News, Kennebec Journal, Morning Sentinel and Portland Press Herald.

Please share with friends or colleagues who may have questions.

February 21, 2014

To the Editor:

We write to correct misinformation in a recent news report regarding the Bingham wind project, which incorrectly stated that Appalachian Trail organizations now support that project in return for future land conservation.

We do not typically lend institutional support to development projects that have the potential to impact resources of concern to our organizations, and it is inaccurate to say we ”support” this project. We agreed to “not oppose” First Wind’s Bingham project, and First Wind voluntarily agreed to help mitigate for their project’s visual impact to the Appalachian Trail.

We acknowledge that visual impacts of the project are expected to affect the Appalachian Trail, but at a distance greater than eight miles. Maine state law, the Wind Act of 2008, does not allow consideration of visual impacts beyond eight miles in the state’s permitting process. Our organizations have tried to bring this law up to date since turbines have dramatically increased in size, but the legislature has not been so inclined to date.

In recognition of our concerns for future protection of the Appalachian Trail, First Wind voluntarily agreed to provide a dedicated escrow fund of $700,000 to be used for Appalachian Trail land protection in Maine.

None of that funding is provided to our coalition organizations. First Wind also agreed not to erect additional towers closer to the trail than already proposed. Further the company will minimize nighttime light pollution from required aircraft warning lights by installing radar-activated lighting once the Federal Aviation Administration certifies its use by wind farms.

We believe this agreement provides the best achievable protection for Appalachian Trail resources.

The wind power policies of our organizations can be found on our respective websites at www.matc.org, www.outdoors.org and www.appalachiantrail.org.

Sincerely,

Lester Kenway
      Maine Appalachian Trail Club

Kenneth D. Kimball
      Appalachian Mountain Club

Ron Tipton
      Appalachian Trail Conservancy
      its all good
    • Re:maine wind power project

With projects like this I'm torn between both sides.
      I really enjoy all kinds of technology, maybe that's why I enjoy being an aircraft mechanic so much. On the other hand, I really enjoy the outdoors and the more pristine the better. To be honest, Kathy and I hiked past many wind turbines last summer when we hiked the Great Allegheny Passage and I wasn't bothered. The low frequency sounds they make are kind of weird but seeing them didn't ruin my hike. Of course that trail is very different from the AT, maybe that's why it didn't bother me. I'm not really sure where I stand on this issue as long as I don't have to walk right past the towers or run between the rotating blades.

Wind power sounds nice, but like everything else there are tradeoffs you have to evaluate.

Please remember when the automobile started replacing the horses everyone was excited about how much better it was for the environment.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

I am not bothered at the sight of them. It is how they are designed that bothers me. They are not built to be maintained. They are built to be assembled, have a shelf life, and die. The other thing for me is there is a more reliable alternative. A third of all lakes in Maine are man made. Many of these are celebrated as being wonderful wildlife habitats. If you want to reclaim some of the energy produced by these manmade lakes, you are call an environment rapist by the same groups that love the habitat. The water is always moving. A dam lasts for centuries. These hulks are quick profits sold on the idea of green. They are not a lasting solution.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

Wind and solar farms take up huge amounts of real estate. I've traveled out west and seen them. I'm not against them, as I think of them as better than the coal fired plant we have here near my town. They just need to be put in the right location and within the view shed of the AT is not the right location.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

Wind and solar farms take up huge amounts of real estate. I've traveled out west and seen them. I'm not against them, as I think of them as better than the coal fired plant we have here near my town. They just need to be put in the right location and within the view shed of the AT is not the right location.

They make sense in the open plains. They can be maintained out there. They make no sense in the remote hills of Maine.

Astro wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I would prefer geothermal but for some reason we won't harness the power of the earth's warmth on a large scale.

The most brilliant inventor of all time (Tesla) would agree with you.

BB, have you bought one of his car yet?

I do not believe Tesla would approve of this car. He was not a DC man. I doubt he would approve of the battery technology in it. I am not a big fan of devices that require batteries. We have to live with them, but we should be developing technology that is not so reliant on them.

There are lots of them along the PCT in So CA. You actually walk through the wind farms. Even camped high on Fuller Ridge out of Palm Springs the low droane of the turbines sounded like a C-5 landing all night long.

When they mess up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uydJJdQzZv8 The ones mentioned in this footage are also on the PCT.

BirdBrain wrote:

Astro wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I would prefer geothermal but for some reason we won't harness the power of the earth's warmth on a large scale.

I do not believe Tesla would approve of this car. He was not a DC man. I doubt he would approve of the battery technology in it. I am not a big fan of devices that require batteries. We have to live with them, but we should be developing technology that is not so reliant on them.

Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Re:Re: Re:maine wind power project

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Astro wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Is that the new Chevrolet HB is always talking about
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123