Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking Difficulty Calculator

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Interesting, but I question the accuracy. On Collegiate Loop this summer I could gain 4,000 feet over 12 miles. 4000 x 2 x 12 = 96,000. Square root of that is 309.8. Well beyond very strenuous (200). Never mind the altitude. I always thought I was a slow hiker. But perhaps I am not so bad after all. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I am all for a formula to try to quantify a rating, but there are so many variables that have left out.

Astro correctly brings up one, Altitude. It makes a huge difference.

I will bring up another, mud and roots! Try hiking the Northern half f the Long trail sometime :)

OK Cafe members, what other variables are missing?
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

I am all for a formula to try to quantify a rating, but there are so many variables that have left out.

Astro correctly brings up one, Altitude. It makes a huge difference.

I will bring up another, mud and roots! Try hiking the Northern half f the Long trail sometime :)

OK Cafe members, what other variables are missing?
      Attitude. Some days you're just going to feel stronger than other days.
      its all good
    • I didn't click or read it....but are ROCKS included? And how do you quantify them.... Mud would be another. Ver-mud shoe-sucking mud versus our Texas Black Clay (also called gumbo) versus our Texas Red Silt (It's called The Red River for a reason).....

I flashed to the scene in Dead Poet's Society where Mr. Keating is showing "the boys" the Doctor Pritchard graph to chart poetry.....
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • I use the MF scale to rank climbs and descents. Simply count the number of times I yell "Mutha........." during the effort. Works for me.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • LIhikers wrote:

How about weather? If it's too hot or too cold it makes it harder for me. Heat has more affect on me than the cold. Mid 60s is ideal for me. Of course then there's wind, rain, and snow.
      Good one. When I'm in Arizona and its 112 degrees in the afternoon you really need to be starting at daybreak and be done by lunch. When the temp is 110 literally walking from the car to Costco is all I want to do.
      2,000 miler
    • For us, my wife, she can not negotiate any trail the requires her to step up or down, over an obstacle, and place he foot on a non level surface. A trail I can negotiate without breaking stride could easily take 15 seconds per step, which is a pace that is not practical for mor than a few dozen yards.