Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Getting ready

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Getting ready

This coming Wednesday Kathy and I will take Amtrak to Pittsburgh to start our hike of the Great Allegheny Passage and C+O Canal Trail, 335 miles to Washington D.C. The next 2 days we'll put our packs together. I looked up the weather history for that area and found temps. from 20 to 70 degrees, I'll be bringing several layers. I've already done most of the route but Kathy hasn't, but wanted to see it for herself. Once we get to D.C. we'll take Amtrak to NY City and then the Long Island Railroad to our town.
    • LIhikers wrote:

This coming Wednesday Kathy and I will take Amtrak to Pittsburgh to start our hike of the Great Allegheny Passage and C+O Canal Trail, 335 miles to Washington D.C. The next 2 days we'll put our packs together. I looked up the weather history for that area and found temps. from 20 to 70 degrees, I'll be bringing several layers. I've already done most of the route but Kathy hasn't, but wanted to see it for herself. Once we get to D.C. we'll take Amtrak to NY City and then the Long Island Railroad to our town.
      Sounds like a great adventure!
      I like Amtrak because you can sleep, unlike Greyhound.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • odd man out wrote:

Sounds great. I don't know much about the Allegheny Trail, but I grew up in the DC area so out Scout troop did lots of sections on the C&O Canal.

Are you camping? I thought there were limited camping opportunities along the the trail once you get to the DC area.
      Yes we'll be camping with an occasional indoor stay so as to take a shower and do laundry. As for camping near D.C. lets just say we'll do what we can and won't do what seems imprudent. (wink, wink, nod, nod)
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Sounds like a great adventure!I like Amtrak because you can sleep, unlike Greyhound.
      It's a good thing you can sleep on the Amtrak train because in my experience they rarely get to the destination on time.
    • My wife had to go to DC on business years ago (Robert Reich gave the keynote speech if that gives you a clue) so I tagged along and we booked a sleeper car on Amtrak for the experience. It was a really nice, yet pricey, experience. Haven't done it since and doubt that I'll do it again. Best sleep I've ever gotten on the train. :)
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

My wife had to go to DC on business years ago (Robert Reich gave the keynote speech if that gives you a clue) so I tagged along and we booked a sleeper car on Amtrak for the experience. It was a really nice, yet pricey, experience. Haven't done it since and doubt that I'll do it again. Best sleep I've ever gotten on the train. :)
      I always just got a regular ticket, but it reminds of business class on an international flight (or your recliner in the living room).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General