Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Isle Royale

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Isle Royale

Returned on the IR Queen today after 5 days of backpacking. My buddy and I (mid sixties Chem profs) camped at Daisy Farm, McCargoe Cove, Moskey Basin, and Rock Harbor (via Mt Ojibway). We got cabins at all but DF. Usually up ~6, on trail ~7:30, done by early PM. Day mileage was 7.3, 8.2, 10.3, 14.6, and 4 (incl. 6 miles of Day hikes on Stoll Trail last 2 days)

Weather was great. Lake calm. Hot first day, but cooled after that. Rained last night, but days were all dry.

RH trail was hard and hot. All other trails were fun. Boardwalk near E Chickenbone still needs work, but passable if careful.

DF was packed. People were pitching tents anywhere they could. Ranger didn't say anything. McCC was great, loved the fire ring. MB was the best with cabins right on the lake.

We swam every night. DF and Tobin Harbor were cold. Others were cool, but nice. The kayak beach at RH by the Sandy dock was warm.

Some thimbleberries were ripe, especially at higher elevations. Next week will be better. Blue berries, June berries, raspberries all ready to pick.

Campgrounds were quiet by 10 PM. Trails were clean. In over 40 mile I saw exactly one bit of debris (a blue M&M)

We saw zero moose, but played with a fox at McCC. He ran circles around us and hunted for bugs fo 5 minutes or more, right at the dock.

Pics still in camera. Will post when I get home.
    • Here are some Isle Royale Pictures
      We took the IR Queen IV out of Copper Harbor MI

Inland there are lots of bogs and ponds.

We ran into a whole forest downed by beavers.

McCargoe Cove was very pretty. it was our only stop with a campfire

The best animal encounter was a fox who played with us for 5 minutes, at least.

We had shelters on 3 of 4 nights.

Moskey Basin was the best campground. The shelter was right on the water.
      You could slide down the rocks into water. Plenty warm enough for swimming (and laundry).

We had lots of great sunrises and sunsets.

We saw some planes come in on Tobin Harbor.

Our only moose sighting was in the gift shop.

My hiking buddy Tom likes to swim. Rock Harbor water was very warm by the lodge.
      Images
      • DSCF4843b.JPG

99.77 kB, 800×532, viewed 50 times