Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Camping Apps

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Camping Apps

Does anyone have any recommendations on a camping app or website for free car and/or dispersed camping sites? My daughter is getting ready to go semi-nomad and do gig jobs while traveling in her Subaru with a Roof Tent.
      smileys-afraid-182573
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • I don't. Probably some web sites. I know State and National Forest places have rules. I hike at LBJ National Grasslands and have spoken with a ranger and one of the forest service volunteers, getting to know the latter. They have rules like you can only be on a certain section of the grasslands for something like 5 days at a time. Then you must move. And that means to a different section, not just "down the road a bit". So someone could get a Gig in Decatur Texas for a month. They could stay at one place on the grasslands for 5 days, then move 4 miles to the next "Section" and stay there 5 days. These are also primitive places. Not even pit toilets. If you camp at one of the places with a pit toilet, then it's like $5 a day. Still no potable water!
      State and city parks also have limits.
      There is a lot of people who RV and do Gig type work. Working at Amazon distribution places for say 2 months, then on to another place seeing the sites for a month. Then to yet another site for a few months while working the next gig. They stay in RV places. So if the Gig work she is looking at, is something like that, perhaps people already doing it can be located for information.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • I don't do apps, but I would also remind your daughter about the great BLM lands out west. When I did a trip like that years ago I sent away for paper maps. I'm sure the Bureau of Land Management has something online by now. BLM lands are the best deal going. I camped in gorgeous locations almost always alone.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier