Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

FREE STUFF: Cuben Mini Stuff Sacks and Rock Sacks

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• FREE STUFF: Cuben Mini Stuff Sacks and Rock Sacks

I have 3 small ditty bags 5" x 5" and 3 rock sacks 3" x 5" and 1 small dry bag 8-1/2" x 11". For you gram weenies the rock sacks weigh less than 2 grams (my scales say either 0 or 2), the ditty bags weigh 3 grams and the dry bag 9 grams. So if you want one send me a PM with your first choice.

When they're gone I'll be glad to make more for a nominal price- I can't keep giving this stuff away-so anyone interested in getting some bags or dry sacks made of silnylon or cuben send me a PM with what you want and I'll let you know what I can do it for.

"Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

Just like to say that postage issues don't allow me to join in on this (receiving or giving) but for what it's worth I have a box in my "camping" room labelled "hiker box".
      I throw any stuff I feel I will never use again in there and then drop it out in Bibbulmun huts occasionally.
      Old hiking poles, alcohol stoves, pots, headlamps. Bit of a mixture.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

Got my rock sack today JJ. Thanks. It's cool. It's my first cuben fiber anything. Gonna put it to work starting this Saturday coon baggin'. I got my coon baggin' rope in it right now ready to go. Although I don't normally hang my food I'm gonna just cause I can. I'm gonna use the ATLC method. (Atlantic Coast Method)

Shellie said to keep an eye out on the mail. She said "what comes around, goes around".
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

OzJacko wrote:

Just like to say that postage issues don't allow me to join in on this (receiving or giving) but for what it's worth I have a box in my "camping" room labelled "hiker box".
      I throw any stuff I feel I will never use again in there and then drop it out in Bibbulmun huts occasionally.
      Hey hikers is hikers, no matter what continent there on. :)

Oz, I don't wear adornments so to speak, but have re-purposed the bead from "Dragonfly Annie'" as one of my "Ranger beads" I've been working on used for keeping pace count. :)

rocksNsocks wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Oz, I don't wear adornments so to speak, but have re-purposed the bead from "Dragonfly Annie'" as one of my "Ranger beads" I've been working on used for keeping pace count. :)

Thanks.
      I pass it on to Annie. She's pretty busy with work lately.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

OzJacko wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Thanks.
      Please do. I been meaning to ask...what is the bead made of?

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Free Cuben Stuff has been sent to TJ, MM, and BB. Anyone else want some?

I got mine. That puppy is light and high quality. gif.004

You're welcome BB. Beware cuben can be addictive for gram weenies.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I'll grant you that but it is still damn ugly stuff.
      46.gif

I don't know about ugly, it's definitely not as pretty as silnylon- it is some really strange stuff. When I get it it is all folded up nice and crisp and it looks like sheets of wax paper. By the time you finish sewing with it, it's all wrinkly.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

I don't know about ugly, it's definitely not as pretty as silnylon- it is some really strange stuff. When I get it it is all folded up nice and crisp and it looks like sheets of wax paper. By the time you finish sewing with it, it's all wrinkly.

There were a few tents and backpacks amongst the thrus last year as well as stuff sacks.
      Never saw one I didn't consider ugly.
      You're right - looks like crinkled wax paper.

I love the ultralighters pushing boundaries and finding lighter gear as we all benefit in the long run (a lot of my gear would have been considered ultralight once), but at this stage cuben fibre is one I'm holding back from.
      I would be happy to use stuff sacks etc like you are discussing here but I'll wait for the next new thing before I consider changing pack or tent.
      Keep it all coming though.
      For it's weight the stuff is amazing.

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I am a gram weenie. I am also a penny weenie. I look at every way I can save a gram without spending a mint. I now have 2 Cuban fiber items and both were given to me.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I am a gram weenie. I am also a penny weenie. I look at every way I can save a gram without spending a mint. I now have 2 Cuban fiber itemsand both were given to me.

Like Seinfeld says...
      There's nothing wrong with that...
      But I hold back from full gram weenieness.
      I do love the way this site is keeping a high level of good karma though.

OzJacko wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Thanks.

I wore mine on the Harriman trip. Of course I had enough other clothing on whenever I was out of my tent that nobody noticed, but it was there. So thank Annie from me. too!
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

I am all out of Free Stuff. The last three packages will be in the mail tomorrow. If anyone wants a rock sack, ditty bag, storage bag, dry bag, etc.of any size made of either cuben or silnylon, PM me and I'll quote you a price. I can make wind pants & shirts, tarps and shaped tarps, synthetic quilts,etc. but for now I'd rather stick to the little stuff. Anyway it felt good to give away some stuff and I hope everyone is able to get out there soon and do some backpacking. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

I haven't been on the site in about a week and so this is a bit delayed as I received a package in the mail a week ago. THANK YOU very much jimmyjam!!!!!!! I appreciate your generosity very much. This will really help to improve my chances of success this year as it will cut down on my packweight a lot because what I was using last year was pretty heavyweight.

So again, MUCHAS GRACIAS!